Caribbean Princess-Toilet Issues AGAIN

Rebels82

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Because of the constant vacuum I don't believe that's even possible.

Maybe I could have worded it differently, but I based it on some of chengkp's many comments including this one:

Of course the how's and whys don't really make a difference if it is your toilet that is clogged.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, Rebels82 said:

As I mentioned originally, I have spoken to Guest Services.

The problems I am aware of are Deck 8 aft and Deck 9 midship. There are several cabins on Deck 9 with issues. I can not speak for what others flush but I can say we have not flushed anything incorrectly. This ship has had this issue for months. 

We were just on the CB in August on Deck 9 (D602). We woke up the one morning and the toilet would not flush. Called Guest Services and reported it. When we saw our room steward as we went out breakfast before getting off the ship for the day (Port Day) I told him too. He stated that there was an issue and part of the line was shut down for fixing a problem. For sure when we came back from a quick breakfast there was a ship engineer just down from our door with the wall opened up working on something. When we got back on the ship later that day, we had a message on our room phone that they apologized for the issue and were giving us a $25pp credit. Totally unexpected. 

17 hours ago, john watson said:

Taking luxury toilet tissue or moist wipes on a cruise and flushing them down the toilet is is the industry's number two major problem.

While not exactly luxury, but after the first sea day, we bought an 8 pack of better (two-ply) TP for our room. That 1 ply stuff they supplied was only slightly better than 100 grit sandpaper on our bottoms. We both remarked that we just could not stand it for another 14 days. 

21 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

My son and I were on the Caribbean Princess in late Feb/early March in a mini suite and had no toilet problems but the ship was only 1/2 full.  I have two balcony cabins (C618 and C 622 they are next to each other, don't ask me where C620 went) reserved on the April 1st sailing and I sure hope that there are no toilet problems then.  This will be my 28th Princess cruise and only had an issue once and called GS, plumber came right down and fixed it immediately.  These toilet issues are beginning to worry me.

C620 is an inside across the hall from your cabins.

• Thanks 1

Dear Princess, as a loyal customer and one currently booked on the Caribbean Princess for January 2023, I have become concerned about the ongoing vacuum system and I don't mean the one used for the carpet.  I would like to offer a suggestion that I hope won't be thought of as a "waste" of time.  I believe room stewards should be trained to look for items in each cabin that many people believe are flushable but are not; if they find them, a note should be left in the room advising the occupant not to flush the items and the penalty that can be assessed (see below).  If the room steward notices, as the cruise goes on, that some of these items are missing but have not been placed in the trash receptacles, the room steward should activate the new "flushing surveillance systems" or "FSS".  By placing hidden numbered balls (cabin number) in the cabin toilet that activate each time the toilet is flushed, should a stoppage occur the ball will be located at the stoppage, traced back to the cabin and that cabin assessed with a flushing penalty, also know as the NoPePo penalty.  A monetary fine of $500.00 is assessed to the cabin and once collected, is to be split equally among all occupied cabins affected by the stoppage.  Also, a sign should be hung on their cabin door advising that the cabin occupants are NoPePo violators.  Once word spreads throughout a ship that the NoPePo penalty is being enforced, I believe the waste issue may resolve itself.

Thanks, and no charge for this idea.  Feel free to patent this system for Princess.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Dear Princess, as a loyal customer and one currently booked on the Caribbean Princess for January 2023, I have become concerned about the ongoing vacuum system and I don't mean the one used for the carpet.  I would like to offer a suggestion that I hope won't be thought of as a "waste" of time.  I believe room stewards should be trained to look for items in each cabin that many people believe are flushable but are not; if they find them, a note should be left in the room advising the occupant not to flush the items and the penalty that can be assessed (see below).  If the room steward notices, as the cruise goes on, that some of these items are missing but have not been placed in the trash receptacles, the room steward should activate the new "flushing surveillance systems" or "FSS".  By placing hidden numbered balls (cabin number) in the cabin toilet that activate each time the toilet is flushed, should a stoppage occur the ball will be located at the stoppage, traced back to the cabin and that cabin assessed with a flushing penalty, also know as the NoPePo penalty.  A monetary fine of $500.00 is assessed to the cabin and once collected, is to be split equally among all occupied cabins affected by the stoppage.  Also, a sign should be hung on their cabin door advising that the cabin occupants are NoPePo violators.  Once word spreads throughout a ship that the NoPePo penalty is being enforced, I believe the waste issue may resolve itself.

Thanks, and no charge for this idea.  Feel free to patent this system for Princess.   

A very clever idea 👍

• Thanks 1

This would put the steward at risk for "snooping". As if he/she doesn't have enough to do.  I'm sorry, I am old school.  I believe that people need to be responsible for their actions.  Common sense and thinking of others should be front and foremost.  I long for those days to return.  I know, not going to happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whitecap said:

I believe room stewards should be trained to look for items in each cabin that many people believe are flushable but are not;

I know you are being humorous, but this would only work if people were flushing "readily identifiable" non-flushable items from their cabins.  The things we have found in the pipes:  face cloths, hand towels, cloth dinner napkins, underwear, swimwear, crack pipes, coke spoons, ammunition, bones, food from room service.  Would each of these items need a sign?

Also, if a numbered ball is sent down the pipe every time the toilet is flushed, if there is no clog, what happens to the balls when they get to the vacuum pump?  Do we have to take the whole system down to get the balls out every hour or so?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I know you are being humorous, but this would only work if people were flushing "readily identifiable" non-flushable items from their cabins.  The things we have found in the pipes:  face cloths, hand towels, cloth dinner napkins, underwear, swimwear, crack pipes, coke spoons, ammunition, bones, food from room service.  Would each of these items need a sign?

Also, if a numbered ball is sent down the pipe every time the toilet is flushed, if there is no clog, what happens to the balls when they get to the vacuum pump?  Do we have to take the whole system down to get the balls out every hour or so?

The balls would dissolve after a period of time.  If face cloths, hand towels, dinner napkins were found, a quick search of the rooms would locate the room missing these items; underwear and swimwear most likely have the persons name or initials in them, crack pipes, coke spoons and ammunition would have finger prints and food from room service is easily traceable to who placed the order.  Hope this relieves your fears of non-traceable items. 🙂 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, whitecap said:

The balls would dissolve after a period of time.  If face cloths, hand towels, dinner napkins were found, a quick search of the rooms would locate the room missing these items; underwear and swimwear most likely have the persons name or initials in them, crack pipes, coke spoons and ammunition would have finger prints and food from room service is easily traceable to who placed the order.  Hope this relieves your fears of non-traceable items. 🙂 

I hope you don't really expect anyone to do detective work on raw sewage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

LOL.  My mom stopped putting name tags in my clothes about  60 years ago.

When you send your laundry out, while on the cruise, how do you know you got YOUR underwear back?  First thing I do with every new package of undershorts and tees!

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, Rebels82 said:

As I mentioned originally, I have spoken to Guest Services.

The problems I am aware of are Deck 8 aft and Deck 9 midship. There are flush but I can say we have not flushed anything incorrectly. This ship has had this issue for months. 

Are the very totally aft on Deck 9, D737-D736 affected too?  

Anyone know when drydock is for CB?

11 minutes ago, whitecap said:

When you send your laundry out, while on the cruise, how do you know you got YOUR underwear back?  First thing I do with every new package of undershorts and tees!

That would assume I send laundry out while cruising.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Are the very totally aft on Deck 9, D737-D736 affected too?  

Anyone know when drydock is for CB?

I wouldn't put much faith in the problem being resolved, completely, in a drydock.  To renew these pipes, you have to tear a whole lot of cabin and passageway walls down, and this can be near impossible after the cabins are installed originally.  As I've said in previous threads, I would bet the problem is urine scale closing off the pipes, they could do a serious acid cleaning while in drydock to remove the scale, but this can also lead to leaking pipes (and loss of vacuum) in older ships, as the pipes are very thin steel to begin with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

I wouldn't put much faith in the problem being resolved, completely, in a drydock.  To renew these pipes, you have to tear a whole lot of cabin and passageway walls down, and this can be near impossible after the cabins are installed originally.  As I've said in previous threads, I would bet the problem is urine scale closing off the pipes, they could do a serious acid cleaning while in drydock to remove the scale, but this can also lead to leaking pipes (and loss of vacuum) in older ships, as the pipes are very thin steel to begin with.

You sound like you know what you are talking about.  We are booked in 2024 for 42 days and in the aft suite on dolphin.  Years ago we had a problem with it overflowing.  We were lucky my hubby was on the balcony and went to use bathroom and saw it and put towels down and called ASAP.  If we were not in the room it would have been a disaster, ewwww.  We were hoping things would be different by 2024 and not have issues.  

To me, that is unacceptable and  something that should be a priority to Princess to fix.  I don't think we are out of line to expect to have a working toilet.