Talk to me about Grandeur of the Seas, please

Mum2Mercury

49 minutes ago, allesonwonderland said:

This is just the topic I came to research! Looking at the Grandeur in January for a Southern Caribbean itinerary. I'm thinking if we go in with the mindset we had when we went on Pride of America in Hawaii--that the ship is just a floating hotel to get us to different ports each day we'll be good. 

We did PofA in 2018 and treat most of our RC cruises the same.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:08 AM, Spurschick said:

Tampa is different to every and I mean every other port we have ever sailed from. We drove and car park is conveniently located across the street. However security made all passengers wait queued up on the main road until they got clearance - not even allowed to queue outside the terminal literally on the Main Street. When they allowed people in it was then a free for all trying to walk from the Main Street to the terminal. ( be prepared if inclement weather) 

If you were trying to be dropped off by car or taxi,  again not allowed past Main Road so you had to bring everything with you from main road. 

it was definitely a very different set up to any port we have ever sailed from before.

We've cruised out of Tampa on Brilliance many times and never encountered this. We have, on occasion, left from one terminal and returned to a different terminal. In that case, you either have to walk to the terminal where you parked your car or wait for a shuttle. We were informed on the final day of a cruise that we would be docking at a different terminal. I believe the notice we received said that it was a mile from one terminal to the next. Weather is definitely a factor when this occurs. We use valet parking so that's not an issue. The valet brings your car to you. It's a little more expensive but worth it for us. We've never waited more than a couple of minutes for our car. 

23 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I do have a cabin like that.  I watched a YouTube video detailing this cabin, and I didn't like it as much as the "standard" inside we just had on Explorer, but I thought it was acceptable.  I took it because it was literally the last cabin on Deck 8, and I thought I really wanted to be near Deck 9.  If I want a "standard" inside cabin, I'd have to go down to Deck 2 or 3.  

You think I've made a mistake? 

Anyone else want to chime in on this?  

I'm concerned now. 

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/slideshow-cabin.php?ship=Grandeur-of-the-Seas&cabin=7569

If that is the video, you can judge for yourself.  Just be prepared to be cramped.  Note the limited space to get in and out of the bed on the side of the cabin with the drawers.  Separating the beds may help.  Just be prepared to bump into your travel companion a lot.

We are in a ocean view with large square window on deck 4 right off the R Bar.  First time for that category for us.  Really curious about how we will like it.  In years past we have found we use the balcony less and less, last couple cruises hardly any...so we though it might be nice to just look out at the water without have to open those heavy sliding doors and the heat etc.  Anyways, we'll let you know how we liked it.  Grandeur also has an ocean view cabin in center of ship with floor to ceiling windows only , no balcony that I would like to try as well, decks 7 & 8.

ocean view deck 4.jpg

Grandeur-of-the-Seas-Oceanview.webp

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

We've cruised out of Tampa on Brilliance many times and never encountered this. We have, on occasion, left from one terminal and returned to a different terminal. In that case, you either have to walk to the terminal where you parked your car or wait for a shuttle. We were informed on the final day of a cruise that we would be docking at a different terminal. I believe the notice we received said that it was a mile from one terminal to the next. Weather is definitely a factor when this occurs. We use valet parking so that's not an issue. The valet brings your car to you. It's a little more expensive but worth it for us. We've never waited more than a couple of minutes for our car. 

Hmmm, I definitely want to learn more about embarking in Tampa.  

We are close enough to drive to the port, and we like being able to walk off the ship, get in our car and hit the road.  Tampa will be a 9-hour drive for us, so a quick start is no small thing to us.  My husband would be beyond livid if we were returned to a different terminal /had to wait for a shuttle.  Let's just say, His middle name ain't Patience. 

You say this has happened "on occasion"?  How often is that?  

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/slideshow-cabin.php?ship=Grandeur-of-the-Seas&cabin=7569

If that is the video, you can judge for yourself.  Just be prepared to be cramped.  Note the limited space to get in and out of the bed on the side of the cabin with the drawers.  Separating the beds may help.  Just be prepared to bump into your travel companion a lot.

Thanks, that was an informative video. 

I know that Grandeur insides are 136 square feet (as opposed to the 160 square feet we had on Explorer last week -- that's a reduction of 15%).  The space on the sides of the bed looks fine -- it's the same that we had last week.  Yes, we had to squeeze past the drawers on one side and the sofa on the other side, but it wasn't a problem.   

Splitting the beds is a hard no; I may have been married for 32 years, but I still really like snuggling with my husband.  

The biggest problem in this "sideways" cabin is the wasted hallway space between the closet and the bathroom; they could've turned the closet 90 degrees /could have placed it against the back wall, and the space would've been better utilized -- the chair could've then moved away from the door.  

I am considering whether we should change to a "straight cabin" rather than a "sideways cabin"; we got the last cabin on Deck 8, so our choices are: 

- Remain in the sideways cabin on Deck 8, which is only one stairway away from the pool, the gym, the Windjammer and the Pool Bar -- things we use frequently.  It also puts us close to the gym's larger, more comfortable showers. 

- Move to Deck 3 or 4 and get a better inside cabin, one similar to the one we just liked on Explorer, one with a sofa, which we did use frequently -- but be forced to use the elevator almost all the time.    

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

We are in a ocean view with large square window on deck 4 right off the R Bar.  First time for that category for us.  Really curious about how we will like it.  In years past we have found we use the balcony less and less, last couple cruises hardly any...so we though it might be nice to just look out at the water without have to open those heavy sliding doors and the heat etc.  Anyways, we'll let you know how we liked it.  Grandeur also has an ocean view cabin in center of ship with floor to ceiling windows only , no balcony that I would like to try as well, decks 7 & 8.

ocean view deck 4.jpg

We're also in "trying new things mode".  We just retired, and it's just the two of us traveling now -- so we wanted to see if we could be happy with an inside (we've always had balconies in the past, but we had the kids then, and we needed /used the space). We not only found the inside acceptable, we genuinely liked it and dubbed it an "Inside Luxury Suite".  Oh, for the same money, we'd go with the balcony, but the price difference is real, and we'd rather travel more often.

Edited by Mum2Mercury

We are close enough to drive to the port, and we like being able to walk off the ship, get in our car and hit the road.  Tampa will be a 9-hour drive for us, so a quick start is no small thing to us.  My husband would be beyond livid if we were returned to a different terminal /had to wait for a shuttle.  Let's just say, His middle name ain't Patience. 

You say this has happened "on occasion"?  How often is that?  

I would say that it has happened 3 times out of 8 or 10 cruises. Not frequent. This is a small port. You can see the parking garage from the other terminal. If you take early departure and have to walk to the other terminal, you would lose maybe 10 minutes. The last time this happened, more people were walking than waiting for a shuttle. The few times that we've encountered any traffic problems at Port Tampa have been nothing compared to the normal traffic at the port in Miami.

17 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

That's a bit misleading.  The theater is set up with standard theater seating.  At the very back of the main level of the theater, there is a slightly raised section with some sofa-type seating.  That area is reserved for Suites, Pinnacles and (sometimes) D+.  Opens up to anyone ten minutes before the start of the show.

🙂

We sat in some off to the side that were not reserved.

Wife and I are on Grandeur in November out of Miami for 9 nights.  This thread is timely as she doesn't get talked about much.  We are in a JS our first in anything above a balcony but the pricing was in line with balconies on the larger ships.  We are very interested in seeing how much we like the small ship as we have only every cruised on the more medium size ones being the Liberty and Adventure with Royal.  We also have Oasis booked in January out of Miami for 10 nights.

• Like 1

Wow! This is a blast from the past. The Grandeur was my first ever cruise when I was 15. This was in 2004. I thought I had read that this ship was retired? I was heartbroken when I saw that. But anyway, if it’s not, it’s obviously been a long time since I’ve been on it and I was young, but it was beautiful and holds a dear place in my heart. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 11:09 AM, BecciBoo said:

ocean view deck 4.jpg

Love the large ocean views (bottom left photo) in the center of the ship on 7 and 8.  Pretty much the size of a Jr. suite but without the balcony and a great location!  If you are someone who goes to sleep early, if possible, don't book the "edge" cabins as you will hear some of the music from the Centrum.  The middle cabins are very quiet on Deck 7.  On 8, as with any cabin on deck 8, you will hear noise from the pool deck above. Still worth booking these beauties...and they will have a small fridge/cooler in these cabins, just like the balcony and above cabins do.

On 9/14/2022 at 1:15 AM, Merion_Mom said:

On Vision class ships (now just Vision, Rhapsody, Grandeur and Enchantment), no cooler (mini-fridge) in the oceanview and interior cabins.  (exception: the added panoramic OV that are midship on Decks 7 & 8).  All the other ships currently in the fleet have them in every cabin, but not Vision class.

We were on Grandeur in May and our inside cabin had a mini-fridge.

On 9/15/2022 at 1:44 PM, CruisinNole said:

You can see the parking garage from the other terminal. If you take early departure and have to walk to the other terminal, you would lose maybe 10 minutes. 

I'm glad to hear it doesn't happen often.  I could walk it and bring back the car; everyone in my party could not do it.     : (  

4 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

We were on Grandeur in May and our inside cabin had a mini-fridge.

That's good news.  Do you mind sharing which cabin (or which area) you were in?  I watched one You Tube video and didn't see a cooler/fridge, but it's possible they've been added.  

About cabins:  After reading earlier notes on this thread, I realized I'm in a "sideways inside" and was worrying a bit over whether to keep my 8th floor sideways ... or change to a lower floor regular.  My husband and I watched a couple You Tube videos, and we were unsure.  Royal made the decision for us:  I'm kinda obsessive about checking prices, and today they had a $77/person drop on inside guarantees.  So we changed to a guarantee, and we're letting them decide which room we get.  We were unsure, and $154 was enough to let go of the decision.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alex_drew said:

Love the large ocean views (bottom left photo) in the center of the ship on 7 and 8.  Pretty much the size of a Jr. suite but without the balcony and a great location!  If you are someone who goes to sleep early, if possible, don't book the "edge" cabins as you will hear some of the music from the Centrum.  The middle cabins are very quiet on Deck 7.  On 8, as with any cabin on deck 8, you will hear noise from the pool deck above. Still worth booking these beauties...and they will have a small fridge/cooler in these cabins, just like the balcony and above cabins do.

I got all excited about this for a minute, until I realized there aren't any of these left for the sailing I'm eyeing. I'm much better at my old style of booking cruises 2 years in advance than I am at this booking a few months out I've done our last sailing and this one I'm thinking about for January 23. Don't know that I'm brave enough to book a guarantee OV. I may just have to pick an inside and hope for an upgrade opportunity.

On 9/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, moposh said:

Grandeur was my first cruise.  We had a great time.  I'm sure some things have changed, but I remember it fondly.

Our first Royal Caribbean too. Around the Balearic Islands and Spain, wonderful 

13 hours ago, alex_drew said:

Love the large ocean views (bottom left photo) in the center of the ship on 7

I actually have a Royal Up offer submitted for one of these, but we'll be happy with the deck 4 as well.  Only bid up $30pp.  Our only other experience with Royal up was bidding the minimum and we did win the bid, however, didn't like the location of the new cabin.  We'll see how this one goes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm glad to hear it doesn't happen often.  I could walk it and bring back the car; everyone in my party could not do it.     : (  

That's good news.  Do you mind sharing which cabin (or which area) you were in?  I watched one You Tube video and didn't see a cooler/fridge, but it's possible they've been added.  

I watched a couple You Tube videos of Grandeur interior cabins, but I never saw a mini-fridge or a spot where a mini-fridge could be hiding.  I'm guessing you were in a unique cabin -- was it perhaps a handicapped cabin?  

10 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I actually have a Royal Up offer submitted for one of these, but we'll be happy with the deck 4 as well.  Only bid up $30pp.  Our only other experience with Royal up was bidding the minimum and we did win the bid, however, didn't like the location of the new cabin.  We'll see how this one goes.

We actually liked our interior cabin on Explorer last week -- called it our "Interior Luxury Suite", our little joke being that any place where you don't have to cook or clean is a luxury location.  When the time comes, I'll look at Royal Up, but I don't think I'd pay more than $30 total to upgrade to an oceanview room.  

Just added 5 nights to our 9 night Grandeur sailing in November. Small ships where you really get to know the crew is what we enjoy. Been on Rhapsody 3 times, so we know what to expect. Just dislike the balconies are so expensive on the smaller ships. Just an outside window for us as paying around triple and quadruple for a balcony is something that I won't do.

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Was it a medical refrigerator?  (did you by any chance take a picture, or remember what it looked like?)

It was one of the under counter coolers and yes it was for meds. Looks like all the others I've seen in the past. We use it for the meds and to store any sodas remaining on our Diamond cards at the end of the day.  

On 9/16/2022 at 8:26 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

About cabins:  After reading earlier notes on this thread, I realized I'm in a "sideways inside" and was worrying a bit over whether to keep my 8th floor sideways ... or change to a lower floor regular.  My husband and I watched a couple You Tube videos, and we were unsure.  Royal made the decision for us:  I'm kinda obsessive about checking prices, and today they had a $77/person drop on inside guarantees.  So we changed to a guarantee, and we're letting them decide which room we get.  We were unsure, and $154 was enough to let go of the decision.  

I lied. We were in a JS but we did have a cooler under the counter. Cabin was 8520. We don't do JS very often.