Only cruise line I've sailed is RC...considering an MSC cruise...what should I expect?

CuseJeff44

I've been on 6 cruises, all Royal Caribbean. After our last cruise, I left feeling that the RC experience had dramatically declined, and wanted to try something else. MSC has some amazing ships positioned in and around Italy, and I am considering a cruise next summer on one. 

What are somethings I should be aware of? Differences? The two that I have picked up on already involve the language differences, which makes sense, and the constant boarding/unboarding of passengers which is difference from US cruise lines. 

11 minutes ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I've been on 6 cruises, all Royal Caribbean. After our last cruise, I left feeling that the RC experience had dramatically declined, and wanted to try something else. MSC has some amazing ships positioned in and around Italy, and I am considering a cruise next summer on one. 

What are somethings I should be aware of? Differences? The two that I have picked up on already involve the language differences, which makes sense, and the constant boarding/unboarding of passengers which is difference from US cruise lines. 

Beautiful ships!  Entertainment is different bc of so many different languages. Leans toward a lot of dance and acrobatic acts. If you’re going to Italy tho, THAT’S your entertainment!

from what I’ve read, your experience largely depends on the category you book. We have only done yacht club (one cruise on seashore) which I highly recommend. If you’re not sure you want to commit, why not try a 3 or 4 nighter out of port Canaveral. This would give you a sampling of what to expect. But I’m with you, no more RCL. 

D+ on RC with almost 400 nights.  We think we have "outgrown" them & don't sail on them any longer, have moved on to Celebrity (Aqua) and MSC (Yacht Club).  Enjoyed our years on RC, but they have evolved into Coney Island of the Seas, and that just doesn't work for us.  Seems they are trying to mirror Disney.

You need to try MSC for yourself to see what suits your needs.  Fair warning - the Yacht Club will spoil you.

• Like 3

One thing I wish to add is that MSC's crew usually stays out of your way, unless you need something then they will do so promptly and efficiently.  On American lines (Royal, Princess, Celebrity, NCL, etc), the crew tends to interact more with passengers.  Guess it's a cultural difference.

• Like 1

I have cruised a lot with RCI and Celebrity and like them both.

Only one cruise with MSC and we enjoyed it so much we are booked for more. The Yacht club experience is better than the suites experience on RCI in my opinion.

We enjoyed the food much more in the YC than RCI Coastal Kitchen. The service is also more attentive but less effusive if you know what I mean.

The entertainment on RCI is however very much better than Msc. The MSC shows are pretty pedestrian.

Give it a try, I’m sure there will be some things you will really enjoy on MSc (and a few you will miss from RCI). No line is perfect. 

In case you don’t know MSc offer a loyalty match scheme which you need to apply for before you book. It’s worth applying for, the perks are good including a discount on the actual cruise booking of 5%.

• Like 1

Thanks. I don't know if the Yacht Club is in the cards from a $ standpoint right now. I was thinking maybe the middle level. But i will check. 

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

In case you don’t know MSc offer a loyalty match scheme which you need to apply for before you book. It’s worth applying for, the perks are good including a discount on the actual cruise booking of 5%.

Sadly, seems you can't apply till you've been on one cruise or have already booked. 😐

Edited by CuseJeff44
ad

5 minutes ago, CuseJeff44 said:

Thanks. I don't know if the Yacht Club is in the cards from a $ standpoint right now. I was thinking maybe the middle level. But i will check. 

Sadly, seems you can't apply till you've been on one cruise or have already booked. 😐

I applied before we booked and that was only about 8 weeks ago but I am in the U.K.

1 hour ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I'll check again. Seemed like you needed to either click "I have sailed" or  "I am booked". Maybe they changed it? 

You can apply before or after you book.   
mom new to MSC and my first cruise is coming up in January.   I booked.  Then applied for status match from RCL and got my status match in a few days.   Now I’m already a Gold status on MSC and never been in a ship. Lol.  I’m Emerald on RCL.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I'll check again. Seemed like you needed to either click "I have sailed" or  "I am booked". Maybe they changed it? 

MSC website is 🙄 at best.  They have an enrollment page, and they have a status match page.  You want the status match page:  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club/status-match

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I applied before we booked and that was only about 8 weeks ago but I am in the U.K.

MSC also status matched my Royal D+ membership prior to booking our first cruise with them last year. We’re in the UK too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selion said:

MSC website is 🙄 at best.  They have an enrollment page, and they have a status match page.  You want the status match page:  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club/status-match

YES. This discrepancy is what I was dealing with. 🙂 thank you!

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

The entertainment on RCI is however very much better than Msc.

MSC's just different than what we are used to on American cruise lines.  On our 2019 Med cruise on Fantasia, announcements were made in SIX languages and English was only the 4th in line.  The typical American cruise entertainment of stand up comedy, singing and Broadway-style shows wouldn't work well when there are multiple languages involved.  MSC's entertainment tend to be more physical, i.e. dance groups, acrobats, jugglers, etc.  They also did an abridged version of Madam Butterfly opera on the sea day.  One show only.

They are different but not better or worse in my opinion.  If you are thinking about MSC in the Med, do it.  It'll be a total immersion experience.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Selion said:

MSC's just different than what we are used to on American cruise lines.  On our 2019 Med cruise on Fantasia, announcements were made in SIX languages and English was only the 4th in line.  The typical American cruise entertainment of stand up comedy, singing and Broadway-style shows wouldn't work well when there are multiple languages involved.  MSC's entertainment tend to be more physical, i.e. dance groups, acrobats, jugglers, etc.  They also did an abridged version of Madam Butterfly opera on the sea day.  One show only.

They are different but not better or worse in my opinion.  If you are thinking about MSC in the Med, do it.  It'll be a total immersion experience.

Truthfully, I find the entertainment on RC very hit or miss. Some of it is ok, like the ice shows, but some is very stale. I suspect it will be on par at worst. 

5 hours ago, CuseJeff44 said:

Hmm...are you sure?  We did our status match from Celebrity to MSC prior to booking our cruise.  Primarily because I wanted to see what my status match would be before booking.

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club/status-match 

Scroll past the Book Now Tab and enter your info.  

11 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hmm...are you sure?  We did our status match from Celebrity to MSC prior to booking our cruise.  Primarily because I wanted to see what my status match would be before booking.

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club/status-match 

Scroll past the Book Now Tab and enter your info.  

I was wrong. Status match seems something yopu can sign up for independent of a booking, which I now have. Originally was trying to sign up for Voyager Club and that seemed like a diff process. 

7 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have cruised a lot with RCI and Celebrity and like them both.

Only one cruise with MSC and we enjoyed it so much we are booked for more. The Yacht club experience is better than the suites experience on RCI in my opinion.

We enjoyed the food much more in the YC than RCI Coastal Kitchen. The service is also more attentive but less effusive if you know what I mean.

The entertainment on RCI is however very much better than Msc. The MSC shows are pretty pedestrian.

Give it a try, I’m sure there will be some things you will really enjoy on MSc (and a few you will miss from RCI). No line is perfect. 

Now I'm back in (not so) sunny Scotland, I was about to ask your final verdict on MSC (I was thinking about you at my sailaway, as Balmoral was sandwiched at the Horizon Terminal between Queen Mary 2 and Anthem of the Seas).

However, your reply here says everything.   Pleased all worked out for you eventually.

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I was wrong. Status match seems something yopu can sign up for independent of a booking, which I now have. Originally was trying to sign up for Voyager Club and that seemed like a diff process. 

Yeh, sorry.  I didn't read all of the subsequent comments before making my own.  Glad you got it figured out!   One thing I will say about MSC is that I find the passengers and patrons to be much friendlier on CC than on some other boards 🙂

I have to add that when we have sailed MSC, it was Bella level (the lowest), and we had a wonderful time.  There is life outside of Yacht Club!  I do think it pays to study the pros and cons of the four different "experiences".  We wanted set (not anytime) dining, and we don't want room service, so Bella was a good fit for us.  

Regarding the shows, we preferred them to RC and other Broadway-type shows.  

Announcements were, in fact, in multiple languages, but were very brief.  No long-winded spiels about bingo/sales in the shops/art auctions, just some basic ship info.

We hope to sail with MSC again as soon as we can.

• Like 3

Here's what I did when applying for our match.  This was several years ago, and since we cruise a lot of different lines we were not at the top in any one.  The highest was Celebrity, but we were not yet Elite.

So I applied my dh and he came back Gold.  This was for our first MSC cruise.  After our next cruise or so, we were Elite on Celebrity, so I then applied for myself and came back Black .

So DH is listed as Gold, but I am Diamond.  We get the same benefits ....the staff seems to consider both of us as Diamond.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Announcements were, in fact, in multiple languages, but were very brief.  No long-winded spiels about bingo/sales in the shops/art auctions, just some basic ship info.

We hope to sail with MSC again as soon as we can.

I still think announcements should be limited to a channel on the TV in the stateroom so people can select their language and listen to them at their leisure.  I guess this won't work for time sensitive announcements but it could for the others.  After a while, we just tuned them out.