Why do you cruise?

mandwcruise

Why do YOU love cruising over land-based tours (multi-select)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Pick all that apply

• VALUE: doing more while spending less
    • SIMPLICITY: Easier logistics and organization
    • ACTIVITIES AND EXCURSIONS
    • MEETING NEW PEOPLE
    • SERVICE

DW and I get to spend time beforehand planning what we will do in each port. And then spend a lot of quality time together. And at the same time on the actual cruise we each get to do things we really enjoy alone (for instance swimming for her and trivia for me.) So as a vacation we get a both a lot to do together and a lot we can do separately. Add this to what others have said about getting to a lot of different places and not having to pack and repack, makes cruising unique.

On 9/22/2022 at 12:02 AM, ldubs said:

Sounds like you take primarily "expedition" cruises?  Just about every cruise port I've visited could be reached pretty easily with other modes of transportation.   What are some of the "off the beaten path" places you get to see.  

Not exactly "expedition" or "off the beaten path" but cruises such as Alaska and Tahiti/Marquesas where I saw more of the territory more conveniently than if I'd traveled land-based. My repositioning cruise took me to Iceland for two days which was more than enough to see what I wanted to see and met my desire to do a transatlantic. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

Not exactly "expedition" or "off the beaten path" but cruises such as Alaska and Tahiti/Marquesas where I saw more of the territory more conveniently than if I'd traveled land-based. My repositioning cruise took me to Iceland for two days which was more than enough to see what I wanted to see and met my desire to do a transatlantic. 

I think those places could be considered off the beaten path.  Especially Tahiti and the Marquesas Isl.  

We also did a cruise to Iceland.  While I enjoy natural beauty, it isn't likely we would do a land trip there.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think those places could be considered off the beaten path.  Especially Tahiti and the Marquesas Isl.  

We also did a cruise to Iceland.  While I enjoy natural beauty, it isn't likely we would do a land trip there.  

We have done a land trip to Iceland, and I would recommend it especially if it is during the time of the year that you can see the Northern Lights.

17 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why cruise?

Anyone who ever saw a sunrise at sea would understand.

Then, too, if you chose a good ship and an interesting itinerary - that would be gravy.

I sleep better on a ship than I do in my own bed.  The rocking of a ship no matter how light or how heavy is a lullaby for me.   I grew up on a major river.  Recently my husband asked me if I heard the fog horns overnight, I said “yes, wasn’t it great”. He had lain awake and I had been lulled into an even deeper sleep. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Cruising is one of the best economical values in travel today. Hotel, meals, entertainment and destinations rolled into one price and my hotel is in a different place every day. 🙂 

Actually, sometimes the "hotel" stays in the same port, and you have an overnight. And that is also good.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, sometimes the "hotel" stays in the same port, and you have an overnight. And that is also good.

Very true, we have not experienced that yet, but I really love what MSC is doing with that overnight at their Ocean Cay island. We were supposed to have done a Havana overnight on our original Scarlet Lady cruise we booked back in 2019. Then the US government said we couldn't go there anymore and then of course the pandemic. We JUST took our Scarlet Lady cruise three years and four rebookings later. 🙂

2 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Very true, we have not experienced that yet, but I really love what MSC is doing with that overnight at their Ocean Cay island. We were supposed to have done a Havana overnight on our original Scarlet Lady cruise we booked back in 2019. Then the US government said we couldn't go there anymore and then of course the pandemic. We JUST took our Scarlet Lady cruise three years and four rebookings later. 🙂

We have had 2 overnights. The first was in St. Petersburg, Russia. The second (I forget the specific port name) was for Edinburgh, Scotland.

I really wish we had had one in Piraeus, the port for Athens.

• Like 1

Just now, WheresWalter said:

those sound like AMAZING stops! 

Yes, they were! Too bad no one is going to St. Petersburg on a cruise ship anytime soon or maybe forever. In Scotland we were able to see the Scottish Military Tattoo, and not have to worry about getting back to the ship on time.

For Athens, we were there on a Monday which meant the New Acropolis Museum was closed. Another day there would have been great.