No availability at Murano

ISABELLA

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Yes, absolutely. 

I never hand a Maitre'd $$ upfront-- but, in a subtle way leave the "impression " that I know how to say " Thank You ($$) ".

Once he/she asks for your room number, that's their hint that they got the " message " and within a few hours you will ( most likely ) receive a call that there was a cancellation.

The Maitre'ds work for tips-- it's an acceptable way business is done in the Service Industry.

Some on CC think it's a bribe-- 

C'est la vie--- ( That's life ).

Actually MaitreD’s are Officers and are salaried.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:39 PM, ISABELLA said:

We are booked on Xmas / New Year cruise for 11 days and we're planning to have 2-3 dinners at Murano, but when I tried to reserve them, found out - nothing was available, not even listed under "manage my reservation". What might be the reason? Any thoughts?

Maybe it’s full?

On 9/22/2022 at 4:42 PM, Pinboy said:

Another " kick at the can " with fear (?) of my approach being called a Bribe --- 

It's the " system " -----used by Maitre'ds in Specialty restaurants on cruise ships, up-scale restaurants on land, or even your golf club.

A few $$ always seems to find-- " We just had a cancellation and will be able to accommodate your party ". 

So, wait until you get on board, go to the Specialty restaurant(s) of your choice and see the Maitre'd($$). 

It's not a bribe--- and, it works.

In one case, I disagree....no bribing (or system) at our golf club!  Would be an insult for the member to do so AND to the server that he/she would accept it.  And on board, we saw one person try to 'palm' a few $$s to the hostess for a seating favour and was immediately told 'we don't require that sir'.  That person waited in line like everyone else.  IMO a tip at the end of your meal or cruise to those who have helped you is more in keeping than bribery.  Having said all that, I also know of 'someone' who was shown to a front banquette at a show in LVegas and also to a prime table at a 'fully  booked' high end restaurant using the $$s 'system'...LOL....so some places don't mind a little financial assistance being offered. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I also know of 'someone' who was shown to a front banquette at a show in LVegas and also to a prime table at a 'fully  booked' high end restaurant using the $$s 'system'...LOL

Funny you should mention that.  My dad told me that in the old golden Las Vegas era, the one where the rat pack played in night clubs and cocktail lounges, the better your tip the better your table.  He didn't understand those working but caught on quickly as to what a $5, a $10, and a $20 would get you!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Funny you should mention that.  My dad told me that in the old golden Las Vegas era, the one where the rat pack played in night clubs and cocktail lounges, the better your tip the better your table.  He didn't understand those working but caught on quickly as to what a $5, a $10, and a $20 would get you!

Ah, the good ol' days...lol...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

In one case, I disagree....no bribing (or system) at our golf club!  Would be an insult for the member to do so AND to the server that he/she would accept it.  And on board, we saw one person try to 'palm' a few $$s to the hostess for a seating favour and was immediately told 'we don't require that sir'.  That person waited in line like everyone else.  IMO a tip at the end of your meal or cruise to those who have helped you is more in keeping than bribery.  Having said all that, I also know of 'someone' who was shown to a front banquette at a show in LVegas and also to a prime table at a 'fully  booked' high end restaurant using the $$s 'system'...LOL....so some places don't mind a little financial assistance being offered. 😉

“ Someone “ knows how businesses is done .

Trying to “palm “ $$ is a “no no “ especially if people are nearby.

A Maitre’d refuse $$ because they are Officers and salaried employees ??

Impossible !!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was used to traveling with my dad who knew "the score".  My husband had not been exposed to this type of behavior.  Fifty-four years ago, on our honeymoon in NYC, we went to a jazz club.  We were among the first ones to arrive.  In this huge room, we were placed at least 30 tables from the front at the very back of the room.  I explained to my new husband, that we needed to tip to get a better table.  He was incredulous.  For the rest of the evening, we watched from our high perch a parade of customers "grease" the maître De's palm.  It was amusing to see how deftly the man sized up the bill, without being too obvious, before he showed the customers to their table.  My dear husband got an education in tipping that night.  We still chuckle about it.

• Like 1