Just read about “anarchy” in Haiti due to gas prices ..

Markmom18

9 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Associated Press (AP). Yesterday.

Google and post if you could. I have no idea how to post links myself.

But, if you use the word anarchy and AP and yesterdays date …. 

Most of the protests were in Port-Au-Prince which is a city that is distant from Labadee. Labadee is not near there and Labadee is not a city or even a town. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 11:15 PM, Markmom18 said:

Ok, it’s senseless to stay onboard. I’ll do what you say Charles. Thank you.

If there is one thing I have learned about CC it's that when you ask a simple question, 20 people have to jump all over it and tear you down.  You will get a few kind people who will answer your question but always in the background, the ones who try and make you feel dumb.  

CC seems to be the hunting ground for rude people.  It's unfortunate but I've learned to turn down the noise.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

Someone got shot in another part of the USA today, I think I'll go hide in a bunker somewhere instead of going to work..... 🙄

I don't think relating Unarmed Cruise Passengers is the same as being able to defend yourself here in the USA.

Edited by mpdog42
correction
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2022 at 10:25 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Labadee is a bit sheltered from the rest of Haiti -- nothing to do with the "real" Haiti but RCI will certainly not port there if it is unsafe for its passengers. 

Royal Caribbean was very quick (too quick) to call at Haiti amidst continued unrest and violence that included the assassination of the country's president a year ago. $$$ talks. 

@Markmom18, here's a map that might be helpful to put it into perspective.  The unrest has been in Port-au-Prince (which is generally where they do have problems).  As you can see, it's a very long drive to get out to the little peninsula of Labadee.  The fact that it takes nearly 6 hours to go not quite 130 miles gives you an idea of the type of roads.  The Royal Caribbean area, as others have mentioned, is completely enclosed by fencing and they do have security.  You can't just wander outside of the fenced in compound, nor can others just 'wander in'.  Anyway, I hope this helps ease your mind a bit.  

image.thumb.png.d2376bda2305996ff71d70eb9c48c46e.pngimage.thumb.png.638e42e5916724e21c1110d183767460.png

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is completely safe at Labadee because the general public does not have access to Labadee.  The only Haitians who can enter are those who work for RC or those who have been screened and are allowed to sell local handicrafts in the marketplace.  Some people on the forums have complained about the pushiness of the vendors, but you honestly don't have to go anywhere near the vendor areas if you would prefer to avoid that.  They were a little pushy with me, but as soon as I started to walk away or said "no thank you" they backed off immediately, so they didn't bother me at all (I went to a beach near the vendor area, and was chasing 3 kids so I didn't have time for shopping.    

In the rare instances in the past in which the general unrest in Haiti came even close to Labadee, RCI skipped the port.  

I didn't personally love Labadee because their transportation system isn't running enough mini trains to take everyone around, and that's difficult for families with small children (there were RC people with special wheelchairs helping people with issues walking long distance, so hopefully the island is better with people with disabilities than families with small kids.  Or maybe you take your stroller and just leave it on the main pathway near the beach).  The beaches were quite lovely, and it felt completely safe last month (and there was a lot of unrest about the time I visited last month, including a strike from a hospital because doctors kept getting kidnapped for ransom).  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

It is completely safe at Labadee because the general public does not have access to Labadee.  

Or the ones who have boats lol.  They don't have to cross the island, they can just go around if they really wanted to.  

3 hours ago, rockmom said:

@Markmom18, here's a map that might be helpful to put it into perspective.  The unrest has been in Port-au-Prince (which is generally where they do have problems).  As you can see, it's a very long drive to get out to the little peninsula of Labadee.  The fact that it takes nearly 6 hours to go not quite 130 miles gives you an idea of the type of roads.  The Royal Caribbean area, as others have mentioned, is completely enclosed by fencing and they do have security.  You can't just wander outside of the fenced in compound, nor can others just 'wander in'.  Anyway, I hope this helps ease your mind a bit.  

image.thumb.png.d2376bda2305996ff71d70eb9c48c46e.pngimage.thumb.png.638e42e5916724e21c1110d183767460.png

Hi Rockmom,
  Thank you very much, this is reassuring and helpful❣️Probably to others like me who don’t have all the answers. I truly appreciate you taking the time.  This is how I thought we help each other on this board. 🙂

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

I don't think relating Unarmed Cruise Passengers is the same as being able to defend yourself here in the USA.

I'm thinking you're not understanding the point AT ALL.... the issue is that if something is going on in a totally different part of the country, it doesn't mean that the entire country is exactly the same way.

I mean, drug cartel violence and kidnapping happens in Mexico all the time, but I don't see people posting here that they're too scared to get off the ship in Cozumel or Costa Maya.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm thinking you're not understanding the point AT ALL.... the issue is that if something is going on in a totally different part of the country, it doesn't mean that the entire country is exactly the same way.

I mean, drug cartel violence and kidnapping happens in Mexico all the time, but I don't see people posting here that they're too scared to get off the ship in Cozumel or Costa Maya.  

No...You are the one that is not understanding the Point...You made a smart butt comment that because somebody got shot in the USA you were going to hide in a Bunker..i took that as making fun of the authors comments..So my reply is that Cruise Passengers that land in a unstable country have no way to defend themselfs unlike when a person is at home or in your car in MIssouri, we as a citizen have the right to self defense....Also as a former Expat that lived in Mexico..I can tell you that the cartel is already in Cancun and most likely are in Cozumel.....Author: You have the right to be concerned about Haiti but i agree if it gets to unstable RCI will not stop...Unlike a lot of the "Experts" on CC...I have the Background in Security. Law enforcement and working with Foreign Police Forces which with the exception of a few like RetMP..don't know what they are talking about when it comes to security matters..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/17/2022 at 7:09 PM, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

Haiti has been listed by U.S. Govt Level 4 advisory in 2022 for quite awhile. Today I read about this current crisis & unrest.   Has RCCL issued a statement on upcoming Labadee port stops?  

We’re on the Harmony at the end of the month. Personally, me & hubby will be staying onboard. Yeah that term “out of an abundance of caution”. Actually though to me at least, it’s common sense. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

See post 26

I think some people's reactions to news reports, fake or not, overblown or not, is and over reaction, but that is just my opinion.  On the other hand, individuals taking precautionary measures isn't just the actual physical security measures, it is also making one feel like, psychologically, real or not, safer.  So, I have no negative feelings about anyone avoiding what is perceived as an unsafe area/act and support their decision to do so and encourage him/her to ignore comments to the contrary.  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 4:18 PM, Charles4515 said:

I guess cruise passengers should stay on the ship at every port then as they can not arm themselves. 

I agree, IF THAT IS THEIR DECISION!  Not by consensus of a social media site.  

I'm not risk adverse, not at all.  But, I will not take risks with my family and I may still take my family to Labadee because of it's location, as I said in other posts/threads, I'll not condemn those that won't or make fun of them.  I can think of at least a dozen U.S. cities and attractions that I wouldn't take my family to, for many reasons, not just crime.

I, for one, put a little faith in RCCL, et al, to do the right thing as fare as risk/security/weather assessments are concerned.    Are they perfect?  I'll ask you (you meaning anybody), what is?

NOTE:  I have no problem staying on the ship in any Port of Call.  I cruise for the ship experience, not some bazaar with pushy people almost physically pushing you into their shop, and/or drug dealers (if I can't bust 'em, I don't want to talk to 'em).  And I find most/many excursions are seriously over priced and over promised (yes, some are very very good/great).   However, I will do whatever the majority of my accompanying family wants to do.  If they are happy, I'm very happy.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'm not risk adverse, not at all.  But, I will not take risks with my family and I may still take my family to Labadee because of it's location, as I said in other posts/threads, I'll not condemn those that won't or make fun of them.  I can think of at least a dozen U.S. cities and attractions that I wouldn't take my family to, for many reasons, not just crime.

Cruise passengers have been going to Labadee since 1986. Over 30 years Royal has been stopping there. I was there the first time in 1996. Nothing has ever happened there to any cruise passengers nor have they been harmed by locals. But of course many Americans can not read maps, only headlines so it must be dangerous despite all empirical evidence otherwise. 

19 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

And I find most/many excursions are seriously over priced and over promised (yes, some are very verry good/great). 

Cruise line excursions are overpriced and over promised. That is why I book my own at the ports. But of course many are risk adverse, they don't fathom that the cruise line excursion is not done by the cruise line, the cruise line is booking from local tour operators and taking a cut. I do the research and book direct. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

I just watched a video this week from a man that went to Haiti for a few days. It is really sad what is happening there. They cannot get fuel as the gangs are stealing it all as soon as the tankers hit port. They then deliver the fuel in drums to local gas stations and sell it there on the black market. It is killing all businesses there. Cabs, trucks and those who depend on generators are in deep trouble.