New To MSC but not cruising/questions

coldinerie

Hello, we are well seasoned cruisers who have been at it for the past 35 years, many lines, many times.  With that said, we are brand new to MSC.  I have many questions I can't find answers to on the MSC site, hoping you can help. We are on the Meraviglia out of Port Canaveral for 4 days.

1. We have 530-730 pm dining time, what does this mean?  Is this like anytime dining?? We can arrive anytime between these two times. What dining room we go to? 

2. How does the boarding process work, due to COVID? Do we do what the other lines do and book a boarding time??

3. What time do we have to be out of our cabins on disembarkment, we arrive at 7 am.

4. Do we put our on-board account info online prior to boarding?

5. Private Island, has anyone been?  Looking for intel on the island.

6. Room service, how does it work (yes, I get room service, but what is the cost (per item, per order) and do we get continental breakfast for free.  I booked the Fantastica level, which includes breakfast in the cabin? What is that all about.

Thank you for all your anticipated responses. Looking to break out of our typical cruise lines.   

They give you boarding times but after restart reports are pretty lax.  And they may have one time online, one in email, and yet a different time in text.

Even in YC they boot you out of room early and they try to clear all by 9.

Ocean Cay, what specifically are you looking for?  It has several beaches.  Not all were open last fall due to limited guests but have not seen many reports since.  It is very new, clean, organized.  Many bars, restaurants, things to do.  Very nice.

Buy package before but have to book on ship.

• Like 1

Covid rules are more relaxed now. You show your docs when checking in along with everything else. You will indicate if you are vaccinated or nonvaccinated in the on board check in. After your check in is complete your cruise packet will be emailed to you and it will contain an additional health questionnaire which you will present at check in as well. I’m not aware of a specific Covid dependent check in time. 

can’t help you with the room service question but the private island is by far my favorite of all the cruise lines. Very nicely laid out with several places to set up for the day. Never felt crowded. 

• Like 1

OP, I assume you are booked as Aurea experience.  If so, that gives you flex dining. Your dining room will be noted on your card.

Ocean Cay is beautiful.

You will do the credit card registration onboard, at one of the kiosks. It is quick and easy.

Do you have a loyalty status with another cruiseline?  If so, you can apply with MSC for status match, which could give you some nice additional benefits.

Oops, I just noticed that you are Fantastica, so you will be given a set dining time. The time will be noted on your card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coldinerie said:

Hello, we are well seasoned cruisers who have been at it for the past 35 years, many lines, many times.  With that said, we are brand new to MSC.  I have many questions I can't find answers to on the MSC site, hoping you can help. We are on the Meraviglia out of Port Canaveral for 4 days.

1. We have 530-730 pm dining time, what does this mean?  Is this like anytime dining?? We can arrive anytime between these two times. What dining room we go to? Dining room will be assigned and show on your card.  Your dining time (according to other posters on threads) is 5:30 and expected to go up to 7:30 to finish.  You must be seated at your table within the 15-minute window, or 5:45.

2. How does the boarding process work, due to COVID? Do we do what the other lines do and book a boarding time??  Online or in your paperwork with 20 days of sailing you will be told the time to check in.  Use that as a guide.  On COVID, assuming you are a US citizen, if you vaccines are up to date, you need to show your card.  If you are not vaccinated, you need to show a negative test result taken within 48 hours of sailing.

3. What time do we have to be out of our cabins on disembarkment, we arrive at 7 am. They recommend you be out of cabin no later than 8 a.m.  You must be off the ship by 9:30 - 10:00.

4. Do we put our on-board account info online prior to boarding?  You can, but it is easy to do it at a kiosk station on board.

5. Private Island, has anyone been?  Looking for intel on the island.  We've been four times, but all in Yacht Club, which has a separate area.  There are a lot of posts and You Tubes on Ocean Cay.  Note it has an ecological focus, so it is more on relaxation at the beaches or lagoons, and less on pure entertainment and rides or activities.  There is one beach near the ship with free umbrellas, and the umbrellas are available for rent at the other locations.  Chaises are free.  Unlike some lines, if you have a drink package it applies on the island as well as the ship, so that is a nice bonus.

6. Room service, how does it work (yes, I get room service, but what is the cost (per item, per order) and do we get continental breakfast for free.  I booked the Fantastica level, which includes breakfast in the cabin? What is that all about.  Not sure, since our experience is YC.  I've read that there is a limited menu (mostly Continental I think), and there is no service charge for your level.  There would be a charge for any Room Service outside of the breakfast window.

Thank you for all your anticipated responses. Looking to break out of our typical cruise lines.   

Ignore the post from someone thinking you had Aurea experience.  If you did, you would not have been assigned a set dining time and could have gone whenever you wanted. I've answered your questions within you text.  On the specialty dining, if you you look at your booking on line, it will show you the dining packages available.  Buying ahead saves the 15% service charge onboard, and says it includes gratuities.

• Like 1

My understanding and recollection of the set dining time is that there is a time when the service starts and a time when the service ends so they can clear people out and set up for the later dinner service.   Last summer, 5:30 meant you could get there between 5:30 and 6, but they stopped letting people in around 6 and told latercomers to enjoy their dinner in the buffet.  More than a year later than my cruise, it is possible they are more flexible, but that is what this meant when I was on an MSC ship in the summer of 2021.

• Like 1

You will be assigned a dining time, mine was 5:15 and even though trying I couldn't change it. You also mighty be assigned a table for multiple people so if you want to sit with just your party you will have to try to change that also. We were 2 and assigned a table for 6.

Pretty much can arrive wherever to check in. We got all checked in fast at 11:30 but then couldn't find anywhere to sit and wait. The space prob seated a couple hundred but there were way more than that sitting on the floor and standing everywhere waiting. We didn't board until about 12:45.

It will save you time if you enter your CC info prior to boarding otherwise you do it at a kiosk at your leisure after you board. They will make numerous announcements throughout the cruise reminding people to do so.

I'm not sure but I think I remember hearing to be out of the cabin by 9?

I didn't care much for the private island. We picked a nice spot a bit from the crowds that had shade and a bar. The problem was there was about 4 feet of big rocks to get past to get into the water that also had big rocks in it.

Also the bar very early on ran out of glasses for drink's so was only offering beer most of the time. Everytime we tried to get a drink they were waiting for clean glasses. They served my margarita in a martini glass so after a few steps it had mostly sloshed out all over my hand lol.

It was so hot when we were there in August that we weren't really able to explore that prob contributed to my not really enjoying it. The evening light house show was really good though.

• Like 1

Nothing to add but just wanted to say thanks for posting these questions.  We just booked our first MSC crusie on Meraviglia in November for a great price and had these same questions.  We have done RC, carnival, and disney multiple times and looking forward to checking out this cruise line.  also have silver status since they matched my status on other lines.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, herdfans4 said:

Nothing to add but just wanted to say thanks for posting these questions.  We just booked our first MSC crusie on Meraviglia in November for a great price and had these same questions.  We have done RC, carnival, and disney multiple times and looking forward to checking out this cruise line.  also have silver status since they matched my status on other lines.  

Congrats on the ND win!  BGSU was a tough loss, though!

• Like 1

I was on the Divina this past weekend. We went to the private island. There are 4 or 5 beaches open to everyone. All but one was clear of rocks. sunset beach has a lot of rocks, both on the beach and in the water. We spent most of our day on BInibi beach, very few rocks, but there is some, smaller one. I would recommend water shoes. 

Unlike some cruise’s private island, Ocean Cay is a complete island, not just a section of a larger island.  

They can only accommodate one ship - and it docks / not a tender port.  Once off the ship, you could reach a beach within 5 minutes. 

There are no water parks or slides.  There is an area reserved for Yacht Club guests on the far side of the island. (They report having rocks in their beach area).

The trees planted a few years ago are starting to fill out. Lots of visible sand - not a lot of fill-in shrubs.

I tried walking across the sand around the lagoon.  It was not groomed to a packed surface. My feet would sink deeply with each step.  

The sand also has small rocks in it, even on the beach.  Definitely wear water shoes if tender-footed.

Ocean Cay, continued. 

Lunch on the island:  available and complimentary. Some will like, others no.  Burgers, dogs, fish, beans, coke slaw, prepared fruit, simple desserts.  There are a few food trucks, at least one offers fish items for a charge.  Ice cream, for a charge.

Pay attention to lunch hours (like every cruise line!). You can also go back to the ship midday for lunch and a break from the sun.

There are a few shops near the boat, including one that helps support the MSC charitable foundation focused on the environment.

These are the only photos I took:

Bathhouse. They did have lockers inside (there may have been a fee).

Buildings on the island we’re all new-build and attractive. There is a housing complex for full-time island workers.

86EEC32C-CF2C-4A78-B343-DB552922BC6F.thumb.jpeg.7c1c453eaa36f2bdc0790d6429b6d2d1.jpeg

Lunch at Seakers. That kiwi was one serving. They had a bar with beers and sodas right in the serving pavilion. Seating was picnic tables or table w/ chairs. Lots of shade.

633F139F-2ACD-4D3F-91F2-CE92F3AE68BA.thumb.jpeg.804c94b15d7cb51b911ebfa03e723374.jpeg

Concrete pathways around the island. Trams available, but they inadequate to handle a full ship.  Be prepared to walk. 

Lots of videos (doing an excellent job showcasing the island) are on YouTube.

@JAGR - thanks for the info on listed dining times. 

My cruise card from last cruise just lists 20:30. Perhaps since late seating does not have to be cleared for the next seating, it does have not a stated end time.

I thought they were just giving a range of what time might be - to be announced when decided for each cruise. I have heard Seashore was shifting times to meet the dining preference of Brazilians. (Read that on Cruise Critic.)

The things you learn…

10 hours ago, alohayall said:

@JAGR - thanks for the info on listed dining times. 

My cruise card from last cruise just lists 20:30. Perhaps since late seating does not have to be cleared for the next seating, it does have not a stated end time.

I thought they were just giving a range of what time might be - to be announced when decided for each cruise. I have heard Seashore was shifting times to meet the dining preference of Brazilians. (Read that on Cruise Critic.)

The things you learn…

Not sure what they'll do for Brazil, but they have gone to three dining times with the upsurge in passengers now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flahagan said:

I was on the Meraviglia for 7 nt cruise in late February this year and we just went to the dining room when we wanted, never had a problem.  Has this changed?

More than likely, it's because you had the Aurea Experience. That level (and Yacht Club) allow "anytime" dining.

1 minute ago, JAGR said:

More than likely, it's because you had the Aurea Experience. That level (and Yacht Club) allow "anytime" dining.

Oh no, just Fantastica.  We just showed up around 6:30 and were seated right away.  We asked for the same server after the first night and were accommodated with that also.

2 minutes ago, flahagan said:

Oh no, just Fantastica.  We just showed up around 6:30 and were seated right away.  We asked for the same server after the first night and were accommodated with that also.

You somehow were very lucky, or the ship was not very full.  Back in February, they were lucky to be at 30% occupancy, so likely they were very flexible and accommodating .  Now that they are back up to 75-80%, they will have to enforce set dining.

Edited by JAGR