NZ cruise and weather

Ellen495

Hello All,

We are tentatively planning a cruise on Holland America (paid 1 dollar - open to suggestions) November 26 for 14 days. We will start in Australia (non cruise) for 21 days land on our own. 

TA suggests we fly to Auckland and down to Queenstown for 3 days and back to Auckland for 3 days prior to the cruise.

My only real concern is weather. When I suggested we go a month later, she said it's the kids' holiday and not a good time to visit either county.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated from this somewhat ignorant (about Australia/NZ) American.

THANKS!

Ellen 

End of November is a good time to cruise NZ.  I have done it myself.  I have also spent time in Coramandel and the Bay of Islands in the North Island.  Why are you concerned about the weather?  I would spend time prior to the cruise in the North Island, rather than fly to Queenstown for 3 days prior to the cruise.  

Thanks - that makes sense to fly straight there if I go there.

I was considering 3 days in Queenstown (I heard it's beautiful) and 3 in Auckland. Or is there another area you think better in the north along with Auckland?

I'm no longer worried about the weather thanks to both of your replies. THANKS!

Ellen

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

Ah I think you're suggesting staying in Coramandel and the Bay of Islands in the North Island. I can look into that - thanks!

Yes, I think North Island is really beautiful.  If you Google www.newzealand.com it explains why Coromandel is one of NZ most popular destinations.  If you visit Hot Water Beach in Coromandels make sure you put on sun protection.  We all got sunburnt there in November because we spent too much time on the beach having fun making dams for the cold sea water to mix with the hot water which comes from underground.  You can take a day trip from Bay of Islands to Cape Reinga at the very top of NZ.  Waiheke Island can be reached by ferry from Auckland.  A beautiful island perfect for spending a couple of days to recover after the long flight to NZ.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

Thanks - that makes sense to fly straight there if I go there.

I was considering 3 days in Queenstown (I heard it's beautiful) and 3 in Auckland. Or is there another area you think better in the north along with Auckland?

I'm no longer worried about the weather thanks to both of your replies. THANKS!

Ellen

For NZ in November, be prepared for (what I would call) 'cold weather' in the South Island. For you it might be cool weather. 😁 I recall one cruise on the Pacific Sun quite a few years ago when it snowed lightly on the deck when the ship went into Milford Sound a couple of days into December. It is often cold even in the middle of summer but snow was very unusual. The weather can be changeable so layers are called for.

10 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

Hello All,

We are tentatively planning a cruise on Holland America (paid 1 dollar - open to suggestions) November 26 for 14 days. We will start in Australia (non cruise) for 21 days land on our own. 

TA suggests we fly to Auckland and down to Queenstown for 3 days and back to Auckland for 3 days prior to the cruise.

My only real concern is weather. When I suggested we go a month later, she said it's the kids' holiday and not a good time to visit either county.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated from this somewhat ignorant (about Australia/NZ) American.

THANKS!

Ellen 

Coming out of a Philly winter, you should be fine.

Are you just interested in Queenstown itself, or looking to travel into fiordland from there?

Just be aware that November, and really even early December is Spring.

The weather will generally be good, but as mentioned above, it can be changeable.

It can still be cold in all of NZ ('cold' in Auckland is anything below 15 degrees C in Spring) during those months, but at the same time, it could also be quite warm.

We do say here in Auckland though that if you don't like the weather, just wait 30 minutes and something different will come along 🙂

February and March are generally the best months for warm settled weather.

• Like 1

I don't understand your travel agents advice. Other than its usually more expensive for flights, accommodation and cruises during December and January. The weather will better in December and January, but you will still be cold some days. I personally would rather spend more time on the south island than in Auckland.

• Like 2

I think your travel agent is giving you good advice. The long summer school holidays in the southern hemisphere start in the third week of December and go to the end of January. So that is a peak time, when prices go up and popular attractions become crowded. November 26 for two weeks will be a good time to visit .    There are direct flights from Queenstown to Sydney and Melbourne, though not every day, I think.

• Like 1

The North and South Islands are quite different from one another.  The South Island has spectacular scenery anytime of year.  Queenstown is lovely but so are other nearby towns.  The North island has beautiful beaches.  Coromandel is nice, we go often go there but not a lot do unless you rent a car and travel around a bit.

Bay of Islands up the top North Island is also lovely and has great deep sea fishing. Personally I wouldn’t spend 3 days in Auckland, it has all the same issues as any other biggish city, try and go further out into the Nth and Sth island and explore. 

• Like 2

Such great advice.

So I won't mind the cold if we're on a cruise (recently did Alaska) so if it's cold - just go back on the boat. Australia we are doing totally by land and much ourselves (with a little advice from TA) - most information I received was from Tripadvisor. I prefer making my own plans, but Australia/NZ I felt I needed a bit of help from a TA (plus the air - expensive as all out)

I love islands and beaches - but we have those in the Caribbean and we travel there regularly. I just want to figure out what I will mostly MISS by taking a cruise and do a few days beforehand. I would prefer land that is warmer - I don't like to hike in 50 degrees (for example). 

Here's the itinerary. If Auckland is just another city, then I agree - not worth more than a day. My TA said Queenstown is extremely beautiful. I love beautiful - but what I really love is cliffs over the sea, small quaint towns where we can sit outside and have dinner, and areas to hike if it's at least 65 degrees. We are mid 60s in good shape (no 10 mile hike - but we're good). We like wildlife - excited to see the kangaroos in Australia.  We decided on a cruise for NZ because the idea of living out of a suitcase from hotel to hotel for more than 4 weeks was more than I could bear. The nice part of the cruise is our luggage stays put. THANK YOU  so very much. Ellen

image.png.e6b255a28647f10577ae9af828945a6c.png

November weather will be okay 65-75, maybe a little less in South  Island.  west Coast in the south  Island is pretty rugged with  cliffs and seas but I venture to say there are better places to explore. 

Edited by Fortunatefew

6 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

Such great advice.

So I won't mind the cold if we're on a cruise (recently did Alaska) so if it's cold - just go back on the boat. Australia we are doing totally by land and much ourselves (with a little advice from TA) - most information I received was from Tripadvisor. I prefer making my own plans, but Australia/NZ I felt I needed a bit of help from a TA (plus the air - expensive as all out)

I love islands and beaches - but we have those in the Caribbean and we travel there regularly. I just want to figure out what I will mostly MISS by taking a cruise and do a few days beforehand. I would prefer land that is warmer - I don't like to hike in 50 degrees (for example). 

Here's the itinerary. If Auckland is just another city, then I agree - not worth more than a day. My TA said Queenstown is extremely beautiful. I love beautiful - but what I really love is cliffs over the sea, small quaint towns where we can sit outside and have dinner, and areas to hike if it's at least 65 degrees. We are mid 60s in good shape (no 10 mile hike - but we're good). We like wildlife - excited to see the kangaroos in Australia.  We decided on a cruise for NZ because the idea of living out of a suitcase from hotel to hotel for more than 4 weeks was more than I could bear. The nice part of the cruise is our luggage stays put. THANK YOU  so very much. Ellen

image.png.e6b255a28647f10577ae9af828945a6c.png

Hi, good to see your itinerary map. Although Auckland is "just another city", it still has plenty and some unique features to offer a new tourist.

Apart from the city sights, for example the Sky Tower where you will see a stunning view of Auckland and the beautiful harbour from an elevated perspective, you can take the ferry to Waiheke Island which has a lovely small tourist town vibe and is known for its crafts and vineyards, or the closer ferry ride over to historic Devonport, again for a smaller tourist town also known for tourist shops and crafts.

You enjoy walking, in Devonport you can walk the paved track up North Head for more stunning views across to the city, of the harbour and up the coastline of the North Shore beaches.

Another option is the ferry to Rangitoto, an extinct volcano. You can either hike to the top or take a tractor-type train ride up there. Vegetation has grown to an extent that you no longer get the stunning views of yester-year, but still a different experience.

Another volcano experience would be to take a bus to Mount Eden and walk up to the top, all grassed and paths. From the top views of course but you can walk down into the grassed crater itself. There are small rocks in the crater and people will often rearrange them to read their names for a photo from the top. Mount Eden is a lovely village with plenty of cafes for refreshment afterwards. I've walked there and back, including up the Mount, from the city but it's a fair hike so maybe better to use the bus.

You can also walk along the waterfront to Mission Bay, up Bastion Point (we're not short on vantage points, hehehe), and to popular Mission Bay itself, which is a lovely city beach with many cafes and restaurants. Again the bus is an option as well.

All this from someone who has no particular affinity to Auckland but couldn't let you dismiss it without some suggestions 😊

Edited by Jean C

7 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

I love beautiful - but what I really love is cliffs over the sea, small quaint towns where we can sit outside and have dinner, and areas to hike if it's at least 65 degrees.

If you like cliffs and scenery can I suggest getting a ferry from Circular Quay in Sydney to Watsons Bay. The walks along the cliffs to South Head are spectacular and there is a rather good pub for lunch near the ferry.

7 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

If Auckland is just another city

I haven't been to NZ often enough to offer worthwhile suggestions, but there is a fun TV show called "My Life is Murder", which is set in Auckland. It makes the city look very appealing. I think it is broadcast on Acorn in the US.

NZ is a place that you go to despite the weather, not because of it. Even if it's cold wet and windy, it's still worth visiting. The bonus is that it is often sunny and warm. 😎

Edited by SinbadThePorter

18 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

I wouldn't even bother with Auckland. As you say, it's just another city. The prettiest parts of NZ are in the South Island.. and Queenstown and the Lakes District is the Jewel in the Crown.  

With respect, wherever you go in the world you'll find gems of interest. Auckland has plenty to offer first time and seasoned tourists, you just have to do research around what is of particular interest to you. It's harbour and surrounds certainly tick the picturesque box 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

With respect, wherever you go in the world you'll find gems of interest. Auckland has plenty to offer first time and seasoned tourists, you just have to do research around what is of particular interest to you. It's harbour and surrounds certainly tick the picturesque box 🙂

I love Auckland and have visited lots of times en route to the Cook Islands, Fiji, Tahiti and the USA.  we used to be Air NZ FFS. Just do your research.  We stay at Parnell with its beautiful rose garden, nice shopping centre and its spectacular view of the Harbour where you can watch your ship come in.  It is walking distance of Auckland War Memorial Museum, well worth going to Auckland for in its own right.  

Then you can do day trips on the ferry so 3 nights would be good stopover.

When we didn't know Auckland well, we stayed at a basic motel in a poor town close to the airport on a stopover.  We wondered what we'd done when we walked to a local shopping centre!  However we met the nicest people we ever met in NZ and got the best shopping bargains.  That set up for all my future travels overseas to not judge a book by its cover. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeriram said:

Hi - I just looked for this cruise and couldn't find it on the holland america site - where does it leave from on the 26th?  Thanks!

I think the OP means November, 2023. Looks like this one, below - departs Auckland and ends in Sydney. Perfect time of year to be doing this itinerary re weather and out of school holiday period.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/P3H14E/N373.html

On 9/19/2022 at 9:48 PM, Ellen495 said:

Hello All,

THANKS!

Ellen 

Queenstown is absolutely lovely. We rented a house a few years ago for a family holiday that overlooked the lake - worth having accomodation that does so - spectacular. There are day drives from Queenstown to hire bikes and ride through 'Lord of the RIngs' scenery. Ride one way, have lunch at destination and get punt back to your starting point to return bikes (or ride both ways).

Auckland is a city like many others but once again there are short drives to spectactular coastal scenery for short walks. Or you could stay in a lovely coastal village an hour or less drive from Auckland and enjoy local scenery and way of life (I'm Australian and even I find Kiwis soooo laid back!).

Fly from Australia direct to Queenstown and from there to Auckland; I wouldn't be doubling up on flying by flying AUS to Auckland then to Queenstown only to fly back to Auckland again.

I'm in Auckland at the moment for family reasons staying at an airbnb. Shall post a view from out my window if I can manage the tech! The weather is glorious - sunny and mild.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

If you like cliffs and scenery can I suggest getting a ferry from Circular Quay in Sydney to Watsons Bay. The walks along the cliffs to South Head are spectacular and there is a rather good pub for lunch near the ferry.

I haven't been to NZ often enough to offer worthwhile suggestions, but there is a fun TV show called "My Life is Murder", which is set in Auckland. It makes the city look very appealing. I think it is broadcast on Acorn in the US.

NZ is a place that you go to despite the weather, not because of it. Even if it's cold wet and windy, it's still worth visiting. The bonus is that it is often sunny and warm. 😎

So true!  Kiwis come to the Gold Coast for the hot weather.  We were surprised how hot and dry  NZ was when we visited the South Island twice in November.  Locals said it was a drought!  Whilst North Island was lush and green how I imagined NZ, which is why I prefer it contrary to everyone else.  

6 hours ago, Jean C said:

Hi, good to see your itinerary map. Although Auckland is "just another city", it still has plenty and some unique features to offer a new tourist.

Apart from the city sights, for example the Sky Tower where you will see a stunning view of Auckland and the beautiful harbour from an elevated perspective, you can take the ferry to Waiheke Island which has a lovely small tourist town vibe and is known for its crafts and vineyards, or the closer ferry ride over to historic Devonport, again for a smaller tourist town also known for tourist shops and crafts.

You enjoy walking, in Devonport you can walk the paved track up North Head for more stunning views across to the city, of the harbour and up the coastline of the North Shore beaches.

Another option is the ferry to Rangitoto, an extinct volcano. You can either hike to the top or take a tractor-type train ride up there. Vegetation has grown to an extent that you no longer get the stunning views of yester-year, but still a different experience.

Another volcano experience would be to take a bus to Mount Eden and walk up to the top, all grassed and paths. From the top views of course but you can walk down into the grassed crater itself. There are small rocks in the crater and people will often rearrange them to read their names for a photo from the top. Mount Eden is a lovely village with plenty of cafes for refreshment afterwards. I've walked there and back, including up the Mount, from the city but it's a fair hike so maybe better to use the bus.

You can also walk along the waterfront to Mission Bay, up Bastion Point (we're not short on vantage points, hehehe), and to popular Mission Bay itself, which is a lovely city beach with many cafes and restaurants. Again the bus is an option as well.

All this from someone who has no particular affinity to Auckland but couldn't let you dismiss it without some suggestions 😊

I agree with Jean's comments, there is plenty to see in and around Auckland to fill three days. 

If you are a wine lover see if you can do a tour to Matakana, or drive there yourself if you are comfortable driving in NZ. There are interesting restaurants there from memory.

A drive through the Waitakeres and out to Piha will give you a glimpse of the wilder west coast beaches. Another hidden gem is the Lake Wainumu sand dunes near Bethell's Beach. 

And if you are interested in rare native NZ birds I highly recommend a trip to Tiri Tiri Matangi, an island that is a bird sanctuary.

• Like 1