QM2 vs Hurricane Fiona

Jack E Dawson

On 9/20/2022 at 6:10 PM, Germancruiser said:

Count me in- nothing better than beeing in a force ten on board QM2- experienced that on two TA´s on board the Mary! One feels safe and sound in such great ship during a storm.

Just looking at the ship's position and the storm track.  Wonder what if any diversion will be needed after she leaves NY on the 23rd.  

And yes, very envious of those on the coming Atlantic Canada cruise, there should be a good rock and roll for the first coupe of days (well, relative to the QM2, which is a very stable ship). 

2 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Just looking at the ship's position and the storm track.  Wonder what if any diversion will be needed after she leaves NY on the 23rd.  

And yes, very envious of those on the coming Atlantic Canada cruise, there should be a good rock and roll for the first coupe of days (well, relative to the QM2, which is a very stable ship). 

We are on the sailing and look forward to a wonderful voyage. Getting reports from on board and nothing too interesting at this time in the past few days. We too are watching the weather reports and the real activities will be ahead of us. Maybe the first day which we in NYC are being warned like Rip Currents at the highest class along the shore.

We were on two before on the QM2 and even QE2 and made it thru.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We are on the sailing and look forward to a wonderful voyage. Getting reports from on board and nothing too interesting at this time in the past few days. We too are watching the weather reports and the real activities will be ahead of us. Maybe the first day which we in NYC are being warned like Rip Currents at the highest class along the shore.

We were on two before on the QM2 and even QE2 and made it thru.

Lucky you!  Hope you report in / let us know how it goes.

From looking at the storm and QM2 itinerary, looks like you may skirt the worst of it, since QM2's first stop is Boston and the storm will have passed well to the East.  Still if you're lucky there will be enough wave action to remind you you are truly at sea.  

Bon voyage!

33 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

From looking at the storm and QM2 itinerary, looks like you may skirt the worst of it, since QM2's first stop is Boston and the storm will have passed well to the East.  Still if you're lucky there will be enough wave action to remind you you are truly at sea.  

Bon voyage!

QM2 is probably the best ship to ride out a storm but having  been at sea between Halifax and Newfoundland, and caught the tail end of Felix in '95, I can tell you it is no fun being in a ship sailing in  the swells a Hurricane/extra Tropical storm can cause.

QM2 or not,  that kind of 'thrill' ride isn't for me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

QM2 is probably the best ship to ride out a storm but having  been at sea between Halifax and Newfoundland, and caught the tail end of Felix in '95, I can tell you it is no fun being in a ship sailing in  the swells a Hurricane/extra Tropical storm can cause.

QM2 or not,  that kind of 'thrill' ride isn't for me.

Ditto,

We were on QE2 once at the tail end of a Northeastern and it was interesting.

It started to get worst before Lunch. It was fun but more interesting to watch those with trays of food balancing themselves to their tables. This also included us. We did eat and finished.

We were lucky to have been given after lunch a tour of the Bridge at 1PM. When we walked into the bridge and thru the front window the swells were a picture to take. Yes they did not think to cancel tour yet. We walked to each side and the way the nose dipped down in the front. We thanked them and proceeded to our cabins.

Well my DW felt herself not feeling well and and the swells outside the cabin balcony was growing. I told her I would go to the shops and get the nausea wrist bands. Walking in the hallways I was the only one in the hallways with the rest in their cabins. I got to the shop and the clerk was shocked I made it up there. I proceed back to the cabin. Now I saw people sitting on the steps of the staircase but unable to walk. On my deck I saw passengers sitting on their backside and sliding on the carpets to get to the staircase of elevator. Please believe me this is true! The right of the hallways empty.

Getting back to the cabin I gave my DW the wrist bands and now I didn't feel well. Well I took care of myself and slept it off after taking some meds. It around dinner time all calmed down and my parents and DW went off to the Britannia Grill on the QE2. After waking up, I got dressed and proceeded to the restaurant. It was funny when i came into the restaurant some people clapped and heard someone say "Hey another one just came out of their cabin". I proceeded to the table and felt like a Million Dollars. That was some storm.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Bon voyage!

9 foot shore surf forecast for Cape Cod on Friday with gale force winds. So you should have a few swells along to Boston. Enjoy.

A while back, the QM2 captain announced that instead of sticking to our planned course which would have skirted alongside the storm, we would be turning to go straight through the middle of it. This resulted in us pitching (bow to stern) rather than the worse option of rolling side to side.

Well, it turned out to be a force 13, the worst the captain had experienced in the North Atlantic.

The pitching was so severe that the waves broke right over the bridge and it was decided prudent to switch off the bridge cam!

In typical understatement, announcements were made recommending that passengers not go outside on any of the decks. Well, if they had, they might have lasted about 15 seconds before being tossed into the lashing Atlantic.

In contrast, the following evening the sea was like glass, with a beautiful gold sheen around sunset.

After we reach NY, the ship was found to be damaged (not sure what) and was not allowed to sail again until the damage was repaired.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Canuker said:

A while back, the QM2 captain announced that instead of sticking to our planned course which would have skirted alongside the storm, we would be turning to go straight through the middle of it.

Great story, thanks for sharing.  

We like the heavier seas to remind us that we are indeed crossing an ocean, and a storied one at that.  The flat calm crossings are of course nice but not nearly as atmospheric as the rough(er) ones.  This is one of the reasons we really like the winter crossings.  

• Like 1