Easing of Canadian entry requirement expected by the end of September.

GeorgeCharlie

4 minutes ago, julia said:

@*Miss G*  There’s a post on another thread that Trudeau has signed... are you hearing anything official "up there"?

I'm not Miss G... but this article was just published:

https://www.wwnytv.com/2022/09/22/official-canada-drop-covid-19-vaccine-mandate-border-sept-30/

image.png.f4c79e96058973847bc4d6a439cf68bd.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I know we likely disagree about covid protocols, but I want you to know I really appreciate your contributions to all the HAL forums and have also very much enjoyed your reviews along the way. 

We probably don’t, but thank you.  I very much appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, julia said:

@*Miss G*  There’s a post on another thread that Trudeau has signed... are you hearing anything official "up there"?

Sorry, (oh geesh, sorry about the sorry)  I live in the US but keep in touch with family & friends up there.  My daughter, SIL, and parents are embarking on a Canada/New England cruise next week and they’re keeping a careful watch.  I am hoping it’s removed!  (Sorry Canada)

• Like 1

Regarding Canada, the media reports circulating right now are still being attributed to "sources" (with one Yahoo exception) - while the expectation is high that there will be a relaxation of entry restrictions at the end of the month, it is not official yet.

Even if selected entry restrictions are lifted, such as vax, ArriveCan and random testing, there is no guarantee that the more stringent Canadian restrictions on cruise ships will also change. (As an example - no testing required to simply enter Canada today, but testing is still required for cruising).

I recommend that people watch this government website closely - it's been my "bible" for cruises affected by Canadian regs. 🍺🥌

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Like 3

On 9/21/2022 at 2:37 PM, Aquahound said:

Just throwing it out there.....don't mean to offend anyone.  I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I refuse to download any foreign government's apps onto any of my devices.  I realize its Canada, not China, but anyone who has ever worked in an intel community will give the same advice.  Again, just throwing it out there.  

Not offended at all, but the intel folks that I know are equally averse to installing one's own government apps as well 👿     🍺🥌

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I hope it comes on Monday.  I thought it was supposed to be on the 30th but his royal highness (Canadian branch) probably won’t be working that day 🙄😛.

It ends midnight on the 30th. Official announcement likely Monday.  

keep politics out of it.  

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It looks like pre cruise COVID test requirements have been lifted by Canada as of October 1. Hopefully HAL updates their policy to follow Canada's.  Here are excerpts from the link below.

Effective October 1, 2022, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:

• submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
  • provide proof of vaccination;
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.

. . .

Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. A set of guidelines will remain to protect passengers and crew, which will align with the approach used in the United States.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html 

• Like 7

Shall we set a timer to see how quickly cruise lines respond to these new reduced protocols? 

Canada has removed all protocols related to cruising, but cruise lines will need to amend their web pages/protocols to reflect the changes. 

I suspect it will be VERY quickly (within one or two days) 🙂

50 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. A set of guidelines will remain to protect passengers and crew, which will align with the approach used in the United States.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html 

Here's an interesting note...

"Individuals are reminded that they should not travel if they have symptoms of COVID-19. If travellers become sick while travelling, and are still sick when they arrive in Canada, they should inform a flight attendant, cruise staff, or a border services officer upon arrival. They may then be referred to a quarantine officer who will decide whether the traveller needs further medical assessment as COVID-19 remains one of many communicable diseases listed in the Quarantine Act."

Timing is everything. We board Zaandam in Montreal on October 1. 🙂 I'm still going to complete ArriveCan and Verifly. Proctored tests are already scheduled and paid for and the early transition period of the change may suffer "right hand/left hand" communication issues.

• Like 2

The proposition of losing tourist dollars can turn rules around quickly in hard economic times. I am rather surprised Canada decided to loosen restrictions now, I thought they would set the new rule for next season.  Happy sailing for those few last cruisers.

• Like 1