Royal and masks

vino100

Vino100-

Well if you’re asking about the Royal Princess currently there is a live from thread( check it out, I believe it says live from the Royal Princess September 17 or something like that ) and yes masks are currently being required, but a passenger on board says there are sip &  cover signs everywhere and there was a letter in their cabin that says masks required ,but many passengers according to the live from author says passengers are not wearing masks. Perhaps  it will change when the itinerary changes for the Royal?? 

We just got off the Royal on the 17th. Even with announcements by the captain, signs and letters in the room many still not wearing masks. Ironically it seemed to us that those who were coughing and sneezing were the ones not wearing masks. After several trips in crowded elevators with individuals not wearing masks coughing and sneezing we avoided elevators when possible. (We had an 83 yr old with us so not always possible)

58 minutes ago, peachykiehn said:

We just got off the Royal on the 17th. Even with announcements by the captain, signs and letters in the room many still not wearing masks. Ironically it seemed to us that those who were coughing and sneezing were the ones not wearing masks. After several trips in crowded elevators with individuals not wearing masks coughing and sneezing we avoided elevators when possible. (We had an 83 yr old with us so not always possible)

This was also the case on the Royal on the August 27 sailing and hundreds of us came down with covid  Absolutely no enforcement and actually denial from officers 

22 hours ago, peachykiehn said:

We were on the same cruise, and yes, very little (I would say < 20%) in the way of passengers wearing masks onboard even though notifications were clear. Crew, for the most part, wore masks diligently, but there was no effort to mask. The only effort was the insistence on washing hands or using hand sanitizer entering the buffet area.

Given the Canada arrival and the requirement for positive cases to quarantine and your relegation to Dolphin Deck (both sides were closed off for that journey) if positive, I would want to mitigate the risk as much as possible. We wore masks and were diligent.

For those in the know, because there was no testing required on board and understanding the penalties, I would guess that if you thought you had COVID but were not feeling ill enough to require medical attention, you would keep it to yourself and avoid that penalty.

Chances are that even if you contracted COVID on the ship you probably wouldn't start feeling its effects until you were at home. Omicron is a bugger that way - you've spread it before you even know you've had it, which is why masks are important, if not to protect yourself, then to protect the older passengers on the ship who don't know better (in my opinion).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, memoak said:

Normal is not using an entire deck for covid hell

At this point they should let people stay in their original cabin just like they do for noro virus.  Along with doing away with any mask mandates, testing requirements, and vaccine requirements.  Just like any other vacation a person can take.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Keksie said:

At this point they should let people stay in their original cabin just like they do for noro virus.  Along with doing away with any mask mandates, testing requirements, and vaccine requirements.  Just like any other vacation a person can take.

That may be coming.  For our November Sky cruise a bunch of cabins appeared on Dolphin port side about a week ago, which from prior posts was the covid isolation area.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

Along with doing away with any mask mandates, testing requirements, and vaccine requirements.

Also, since so many people drive to the port, we should get rid of seat belt requirements.  I'm not cruising until they're gone.  How can you live life when you're strapped in a seat...  😀

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

They put you in a lockdown area to prevent you from continuing to roam the ship infecting people. Having been one of hundreds infected on the Royal August 27 cruise I have first hand knowledge even if you left your cabin you could not get out of the corridor 

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, memoak said:

They put you in a lockdown area to prevent you from continuing to roam the ship infecting people. Having been one of hundreds infected on the Royal August 27 cruise I have first hand knowledge even if you left your cabin you could not get out of the corridor 

That is only for the people the cruise line knows have covid.  The people they don't know about are free to roam.  The people who may have a different contagious illness are free to roam also.  Maybe if the lockdown area went away fewer ill people would roam.

15 minutes ago, Keksie said:

That is only for the people the cruise line knows have covid.  The people they don't know about are free to roam.  The people who may have a different contagious illness are free to roam also.  Maybe if the lockdown area went away fewer ill people would roam.

Why would that be they obviously don’t care about infecting others 

1 hour ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Also, since so many people drive to the port, we should get rid of seat belt requirements.  I'm not cruising until they're gone.  How can you live life when you're strapped in a seat...  😀

Excellent idea. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Well you're too late. I was on Princess recently, wearing a mask when appropriate.

Well you do you.  I have been on many vacations, gone to many activities, eaten in a lot of restaurants.  I haven't felt the need to wear a mask for well over a year.

• Like 1