Bidding on Unavailable Cabins

Mike45LC

7 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Also, I would guess  that by final payment date, most all people who might have to cancel. (thus opening up cabins) have probably cancelled in order to avoid losing money.  

On two separate cruises I have cleared a wait-list for a suite well after final payment. There are so many unavoidable reasons that people have to cancel a trip. Many of the reasons people have to cancel are not going to conveniently happen before final payment. I cancelled a trip 3 separate times, rebooking after each cancellation, in a period of just 6 weeks last winter. All of the cancellations were completely unavoidable, unexpected and thankfully for coverable reasons when it came to insurance. You just never know what life is going to throw at you! Princess offers, at a reasonable price, insurance with the cancel for any reason option which further broadens the pool of people who can cancel after final payment without significant loss. Short notice and last minute cancellation probably happens with greater frequency than we realize.

• Like 1

Yes!   Have a great cruise!!!

Great that you cleared the waitlist!!!!   Yes, there can always be some last minute cancellations. But I wouldn't want to lose the money involved in cancelling a Suite at the last minute!!!!   Would definitely hope that I had good insurance that would cover that particular cancellation!

Wonder if they are still dong waitlist with the new bidding system. If there are often waitlist for Suites well before final payment or well before a cruise is marked 'unavailable', then this is yet another reason why these would rarely go unsold, and be offered at last minute for upgrade.   

People cancel for many reasons after final and if they have cancel for any reason their insurance reimburses them. In a case where someone cancels after final payment their is a tiered penalty. 

Princess states they will accept bids 3 days before sailing so if someone did cancel Princess gives no refunds and gets double revenue if they resell this cabin to a bidder. They get double revenue on the cabin that was vacated and it is a domino effect. Princess wins no matter what because they don't have to honor any bids should no cabins become available.

• Like 2

Bidding gives Princess the opportunity to fully exploit the area below the demand curve, which is optimal microeconomic pricing policy. I can see where they may eventually offer downgrades or move-overs for those booked in the most coveted cabins. For example, if you want to book a suite, and are willing to pay $5K, but the suites are already sold at $4K, bidding gives you the opportunity to get that suite for $5K, and the current occupants might be happy with a move to an unsold mini suite along with a large refundable OBC. As long as the net result is more revenue for Princess, they’re happy to play musical chairs with the cabins, and, if there are no cabins left to work with, there’s always another cruise to offer people. 

Yes, Princess will come out ahead!!!   I just wouldn't be really hoping or counting on bidding for that top Suite.

There have been a few reports of people in AFT cabins getting bumped. Even with they swear that their booking is showing NO UPGRADE.  Of course, these people are not happy.  If I then thought that those cabins were going to the highest bidder.  

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Bidding gives Princess the opportunity to fully exploit the area below the demand curve, which is optimal microeconomic pricing policy.  ..  they’re happy to play musical chairs with the cabins, 

This presupposes that Princess has the adminstrative staff to deal with this.  Right now, from everything I've heard, they are already overwhelmed, understaffed and incompetent.  Seems like a bad time to be implementing a new program!  But time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

This presupposes that Princess has the adminstrative staff to deal with this.  Right now, from everything I've heard, they are already overwhelmed, understaffed and incompetent.  Seems like a bad time to be implementing a new program!  But time will tell.

My understanding (from the introductory video call that was done for TA’s) is that another company was administering the bidding process. Or at least that another company had developed the required software. That gave me some hope. Because, otherwise, you’re absolutely right. But, again, if there’s a chance to eek out any additional revenue, that opportunity will be assigned more resources than the refund process will be. 

26 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

My understanding (from the introductory video call that was done for TA’s) is that another company was administering the bidding process. 

If this is out-sourced, so the already overburdened staff is not overwhelmed, it is a win-win!