Notes from Queen Victoria to the Mediterranean (& back)

Host Hattie

After the huge lunch we sat on steamer chairs watching the rain and then watched the repeated lectures from earlier, Vivien Leigh and pirates, on the television and then a film.

We got ready for our second formal night and got seats in the Chart Room to admire the outfits coming out of second seating dinner. 

We didn't really do justice to the menu but it was still a nice meal.

We watched the dancing/acrobat sisters and then went to the Queens Room in time to watch the Professionals dance.

Some not so good news, Mr HH woke up this morning with a sore throat. We both took lateral flow tests, his was very faintly positive and mine negative. I rang the medical centre and they sent someone to take swabs and have confirmed the results.

He is packed ready to be transferred to quarantine, I'm staying here for the moment. They don't seem entirely sure what I should do as most people stay together.

For the moment they've told me to wear a mask if I go outside the cabin and order room service.

It's a grey day in Civitavecchia, we didn't have any firm plans for today as the weather forecast was for rain for most of the day and I didn't bring a coat or umbrella.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Some not so good news, Mr HH woke up this morning with a sore throat. We both took lateral flow tests, his was very faintly positive and mine negative. I rang the medical centre and they sent someone to take swabs and have confirmed the results.

He is packed ready to be transferred to quarantine, I'm staying here for the moment. They don't seem entirely sure what I should do as most people stay together.

For the moment they've told me to wear a mask if I go outside the cabin and order room service.

It's a grey day in Civitavecchia, we didn't have any firm plans for today as the weather forecast was for rain for most of the day and I didn't bring a coat or umbrella.

Poor Mr. HH, and poor you. I thought they were now allowing people to stay in their own cabins to quarantine?

• Like 1

Hattie,

I’m currently on QE and there are bears in the bear store. I’m happy to get you one if that would be if any help. If so let me know and we can work out the logistics when we get home but as you are in the same part of the world to us it shouldn’t be too tricky.

Sorry to hear about Mr HH and hope that things work out for you.

C&M

• Like 2

Sorry to hear Mr HH has caught it.

Fingers crossed you wont (if you recall I caught it in Alaska on QE but my partner didn't get it and he quarantined with me on the ship for 3 days then 7 days at a hotel). Funny old disease it is how some do and some dont catch it.

That aside tour trip sounds lovely and has mad us desperate for our Iberian trip in November

Hope Mr HH makes a speedy recovery and you enjoy the rest of the trip - Id order some cocktails with your dinner!

• Like 1

@Host Hattie Thanks for posting the cuddly ship…cross your fingers they have teddies in December. Bigger thanks for posting the wine luncheon. What did you think of the St. Suprey Sauv. Blanc? We’ve been to the winery and I am not a fan of their whites. I am not a fan of grassy Sauv. Blanca. Was the Voignier grassy? The food looked good. I shared with DH and we have put it on our list to attend in December. Keep the sunscreen on.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 10:48 AM, swjumbo said:

Thank you HH. We’re enjoying reading your well balanced posts.
We’re Celebrity fans but having our first short cruise on QV soon and your informed views are adding to the excitement.

Snap😀

On 9/29/2022 at 1:41 PM, Host Hattie said:

I was woken up at dark o'clock by an announcement apologising for a previous announcement which was the result of a technical error. As I hadn't heard the previous announcement I didn't need the apology and Mr HH tried to convince me that I'd dreamt the whole thing ! When the Captain started his noon announcement by apologising again I realised I hadn't been dreaming. We had a light breakfast and a very lazy morning before a wonderful wine lunch in the Veranda restaurant.

IMG_20220929_115613946.jpg

IMG_20220929_121958115_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220929_124859001.jpg

IMG_20220929_131647493.jpg

IMG_20220929_135443820.jpg

The food looks great apart from the cheese!

if you don’t mind me asking, what was the charge for the lunch?  Did you get both wines with each course or did you have to choose one?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, techteach said:

What did you think of the St. Suprey Sauv. Blanc?

It was my favourite of the white wines.

The sun came out this afternoon so I've had a pleasant afternoon on the balcony. The steak sandwich off the room service menu was a bit disappointing but I kept custody of the second bottle of Pol Aker to toast sail away later.

We've had new passengers join the ship today and they had to go to the theatre for their safety briefing at 5pm.

Mr HH is on the other side of the ship, they've given him everything he asked for except throat sweets so I'll see if I can get some once the shop opens.

3 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

The food looks great apart from the cheese!

if you don’t mind me asking, what was the charge for the lunch?  Did you get both wines with each course or did you have to choose one?

Both wines so 8 in total, it was $88 each, bit of a splurge but in view of what's happened since I'm very glad we did it.

4 hours ago, Castro and Millie said:

Hattie,

I’m currently on QE and there are bears in the bear store. I’m happy to get you one if that would be if any help. If so let me know and we can work out the logistics when we get home but as you are in the same part of the world to us it shouldn’t be too tricky.

Sorry to hear about Mr HH and hope that things work out for you.

C&M

That's a very kind offer but hopefully the ships will be appreciated as a change from bears.

• Like 1

Thank you for this thread HH … I have been enjoying following your cruise experience as we will be boarding on 11th October.  
So sorry to hear that your husband has caught the dreaded lurgy.  Wishing him a speedy recovery and keeping fingers firmly crossed that you manage to remain Covid free.   Thank you for keeping us all updated. 

• Like 2

Thanks, in the end sailaway coincided with an electrical storm and cabin stewards coming to strip the bedding so the Pol Aker survives another day.

Mr HH wanted some Strepsils, the ship had given him painkillers and cough medicine but they didn't have them. The bookshop has a supply of cold and flu remedies so I delivered them to his cabin,

Room service sent the restaurant menu for me to order from and I've had instructions about when I have to test next and what I can do. I can leave the cabin and go ashore but not on an excursion (didn't have any booked) but I need to wear a facemask and eat in the cabin.

I guess if I test positive Mr HH can come back and join me or I can go to his new cabin..

The Captain has promised us good weather for tomorrow but didn't mention the storm this evening, I can't open the door to the balcony to admire the lightening !

On 9/26/2022 at 4:13 PM, Host Hattie said:

We stayed on our balcony for the sail away exchanging waves with passengers on the Mein Schiff in port with us. We got away first time today !

We went for a pre-dinner drink in the Gin & Fizz bar, one day we'll order something other than a Sloe Ahead and The Mary Rose but not today.

Sunset was 8.16, I just caught  it on the way to dinner 

IMG_20220926_201305107_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220926_201735809_HDR.jpg

One of the best views ever.

Deck chair on a real promenade deck ... absolute perfection.

• Like 3

Thank you, I didn't get dessert but the food was OK and arrived on time, Tomorrow's lunch and dinner menus have just arrived. I spoke to Mr HH earlier, he's doing OK and is feeling looked after. We've both had a call from someone in the Purser's team who has promised to call every day and get us anything we need.

I could have gone to tonight's entertainment but for the moment I'm making do with films on the TV and catching up with the outside world.

The Ligurian coast is one of my favourite parts of the World so I will probably get off tomorrow assuming I feel OK.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

.... I kept custody of the second bottle of Pol Aker to toast sail away later.

Mr HH is on the other side of the ship, they've given him everything he asked for except throat sweets so I'll see if I can get some once the shop opens.

Surely Pol Aker and honey is excelent for a sore throat😉

Edited by groryjm