Hurricane Ian and impact on Florida

phissy

Currently on Divina since 18th out of Port Canaveral - have heard the following four night is becoming a five night and the three night is cancelled - have been told they hope to be able to get into Port Canaveral on the 30th as opposed to 29th but it’s wait and see. We are on a B2B and will stay on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

Currently on Divina since 18th out of Port Canaveral - have heard the following four night is becoming a five night and the three night is cancelled - have been told they hope to be able to get into Port Canaveral on the 30th as opposed to 29th but it’s wait and see. We are on a B2B and will stay on. 

I am on the 25-29th with you. Did someone onboard tell you that? Just rumor? The Group for this cruise is dying to know what you heard... Most of us hope for the 5th day.!

Talked to the Officer in charge of Buffet about 2pm, complimented him on food and service and said we were on a B2B and staying on, he said “the four day is becoming a five and the three night has been canceled.” I would expect he knows what he is talking about. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We have a 10-night cruise, which combines the 3-night (29 Sep to 2 Oct) with the following 7-night (2 Oct to 9 Oct). We've not had any notification of changes to our boarding on the 29th -- yet.

Husband and I have been talking and wondering about cruisers who have all their plans set. Hope you are told shortly. And perhaps Officer I visited with didn’t know what he was talking about. 

16 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Husband and I have been talking and wondering about cruisers who have all their plans set. Hope you are told shortly. And perhaps Officer I visited with didn’t know what he was talking about. 

As you said, I hope we are informed soon. At a minimum, I will want to change our flights and move our hotel to the "new" night before the cruise. I've already checked availability so that does not seem like it will be an issue. I'm poised and ready and waiting for MSC. Thanks for sharing what you heard -- that is what allows me to be in this good position. 🙂

Edited by Best Cat Mom

On 9/24/2022 at 4:23 PM, cellfree said:

Talked to the Officer in charge of Buffet about 2pm, complimented him on food and service and said we were on a B2B and staying on, he said “the four day is becoming a five and the three night has been canceled.” I would expect he knows what he is talking about. 

It would be nice if MSC would let the people who are supposed to be on the 3 day know this instead of hearsay /:

We got off the Divina yesterday; guests were offered to stay onboard for the 4 night (which was going t be 5 night) at very attractive prices. We were told that the 3 nighter was going to be a 2 night and crew only.  

I'm surprised that the guests on the Sept 29th cruise have not heard anything.

Yes, Nassau is correct according to Cruise Hive ship tracker: https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-tracker

We are scheduled to go out on the Divina on Thursday and are actively looking for info on what MSC is going to do. Customer service says they are going to send an email 2 day prior (tomorrow). I appreciate this forum and everyone who has inside info!

Does anyone know if they can change the itinerary to start on Friday and turn a short 3 day cruise into a mostly worthless 2 day cruise? We would prefer to cancel. Two days is way too short.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 11.45.55.png

50 minutes ago, Cru Zen said:

Does anyone know if they can change the itinerary to start on Friday and turn a short 3 day cruise into a mostly worthless 2 day cruise? We would prefer to cancel. Two days is way too short.

I'm on the same 3-night cruise (9/29-10/2) and am anxiously awaiting an update from MSC. We're local and would be fine with a 2 night cruise IF they provided an FCC and OBC. A lot of folks are going to agree with you that two days is way too short, especially if they had to fly or drive long distances to take the cruise. Without an FCC and OBC, I'll just rebook another 3-nighter.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, phissy said:

Watching the news of approaching storm and Areas in Florida announcing state of emergency for next week. Has anyone received news from MSC regarding changes to either their Miami or Port Canaveral cruises?

Any cruises that were scheduled for Western Caribbean will be altered. I see Royal Caribbean is sending ships around the eastern side of Cuba to essentially go behind the storm if they can still make any of their Western Carib stops. Most likely cruises are being flipped from Western to Eastern just as many were flipped from Eastern to Western last week to avoid Fiona.

Right now, Miami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral should not get all that much affect from the Hurricane other than some possible bad rainstorms. Tampa looks like it will get hammered based on the current tracks.

If you're not following James Van Fleet on social media, you should. He's the chief meteorologist for Royal Caribbean who posts daily during normal weather and multiple times per day during storms. He not only reports on the weather but what the Royal ships are doing and where they are altering course. While it's not MSC, most of the cruise lines do coordinate with each other during hurricanes and if you will get a sense of what is happening in the cruise world based on James' info on the Royal ships. James is on Twitter, TikTok and LinkedIn 

• Thanks 1

The weather channel just now is reporting that even the Mid/northern East Coast of FL will have tropical storm to hurricane strength winds and heavy rain as the storm moves north/east across FL.
 I don’t see how Port Canaveral won’t be impacted based on the latest information I just saw.

People on the 9/29 3 day Divina cruise are still waiting to hear from MSC about whether or not their cruise is still on yet folks on board are reporting that they’ve been told they’re not making it back to PC for the 29th and they’re skipping Ocean Cay tomorrow and staying out at sea. 

Edited by styles27

😉 Port Canaveral FYI as of 4:00 pm 9/26/22:

Current Port Conditions: X-RAY

CONDITION "X-RAY" The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) has set Port Condition "X-RAY" for Port Canaveral: Sustained gale force winds are predicted within 48hours. Port Canaveral remains open and conducting normal Port operations, but anticipates limited waterside and vessel shoreside Port operations will follow as conditions change.

<and>

IMPORTANT MARINE NOTIFICATION
Port Canaveral has been closely monitoring the progress and track of Hurricane Ian. The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) Jacksonville has set Port Condition X-RAY for Port Canaveral as of 4:00 PM Monday, Sept. 26th, and we expect to progress to Port Condition YANKEE by tomorrow (Tuesday, Sept. 27th) evening.

Based on current forecasts and storm information, Port Canaveral will receive heavy rain and high winds (Tropical Storm force or greater) as early as Wednesday morning, Sept. 28th.

Subsequently, Port Canaveral is notifying all maritime interests that once Port Condition YANKEE is set, ALL vessels under 500 GT – including vessels berthed at marinas located in Port Canaveral – are required to shelter in place. All vessels must double up on mooring lines at berth and take all measures possible to weather proof the vessel. Furthermore, no vessel movements will be allowed in Port Canaveral. Vessel movements will be monitored and violations will be enforced.

The situation is subject to change based on the storm’s track and potential impact to Port Canaveral.

• Like 2