Retreat - Chair Hogs?

Guest 4-2-N-8

27 minutes ago, miched said:

They did have those cards but they said for those that are eating.   It didn’t say anything about not playing games  while eating.   Therefore they got bread sticks as if they were eating and had the look and attitude of  daring to be challenged.     The cards should say no game playing  during open hours.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Is it OK to just sit for an hour or so and just drink a couple cups of coffee?

10 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Is it OK to just sit for an hour or so and just drink a couple cups of coffee?

If someone is standing there at the spa cafe with a full lunch plate and a drink in their hands, and all of the other tables are full with other diners,  it might be polite to move into another seat  or louger nearby...where a cup of coffee is easier to manage than balancing plate on your lap as one sits on the edge of the solarium pool area..  Another option for the plate balancer  is to politely ask if they can join the other at the tbl while they eat their lunch,  Also workable in the Buffet durung prime time!

Also I think, If no other pool/ Retreat loungers are vacant. It is not fair to leave ones belongings  for a long time, while they go off to the buffet, or  another  activity elsewhere, etc, 

I think if I ever see people playing cards again during the hours in the Spa cafe and there are no tables available I will stand behind them and tell the other players what cards they have in their hand.  I think they would eventually get the message and leave.   🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, miched said:

I think if I ever see people playing cards again during the hours in the Spa cafe and there are no tables available I will stand behind them and tell the other players what cards they have in their hand.  I think they would eventually get the message and leave.   🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Wish I could be there with you...on the other side of the table behind another person...

• Haha 2

Interesting thread.  Celebrity falls into a category that many folks call a "mass market cruise line."  What does that mean?  Lots of passengers for the available space.  It means lines (queues for you Brits) for many things, not enough chairs, loungers, etc.  That is simply the nature of "mass market."  Folks on Celebrity like to kid themselves that X is more upscale (it is certainly one of the better mass market lines) but it is still mass market.  There are some cruise lines where there are no queues, usually an abundance of chairs/loungers, etc.  They are the so-called luxury lines,  Consider that when you go on a luxury cruise line the space ratio is normally about 70+ tons per passenger.  Go on a mass market line that number drops to about 40 (or less).  

My message is simple.  If you want the space than you need to book a luxury line. Otherwise, accept that you must deal with the "masses" and learn to adjust.  On Celebrity it might mean crawling out of bed by 9am and grabbing some decent deck chairs.  As to the crowding and lack of chairs in the Lido, well that can be a problem on any mass market ship.  Too many folks trying to use too few chairs.  Avoid the most crowded hours and that will help.  If you do not want to "adjust" to the situation than consider a luxury cruise line.  In most cases you do get what you pay for....except that those paying the big bucks for suites on mass market lines are still going to be on a mass market line.  Kind of like having the largest most valuable home in a middle-class neighborhood.  Is that better than a normal home in an upscale neighborhood?

Hank

• Like 4

The problem in the solarium on Edge is there are no tables except in the cafe.  I found it frustrating having to put my cocktails on the ground.  So if you want to play cards in the solarium there is nowhere else to do it.  Not saying it's ok but they should put some tables around outside the cafe, if there is a known demand for it.  Or just say no using tables for games during food service hours, which were quite limited.

As for the retreat, we never had a problem getting the area we wanted, hogs were no issue on Edge in Feb.  We would go up around 10am and pick a spot in the shade and stay there all day. Usually it was the L-shaped couch/chair/coffee table set up we preferred. One day we went to grab a quick bite and left all our stuff there (very well spread out, clothes, hats, glasses, tote bag, water bottles, etc. it was obvious we would be back soon).  We returned about 30 minutes later and some random guy was sitting on the end of our couch!  It was kinda weird because he didn't leave when we returned and plopped ourselves back down.  I didn't say anything.  Turns out he was just dog tired from burning in the sun and wanted a seat in the shade for a bit.  I didn't mind too much since the couch is gigantic but it was a bit awkward. He left after a little bit.  I think they need more shade up there.

5 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

The problem in the solarium on Edge is there are no tables except in the cafe.  I found it frustrating having to put my cocktails on the ground.  So if you want to play cards in the solarium there is nowhere else to do it.  Not saying it's ok but they should put some tables around outside the cafe, if there is a known demand for it.  Or just say no using tables for games during food service hours, which were quite limited.

As for the retreat, we never had a problem getting the area we wanted, hogs were no issue on Edge in Feb.  We would go up around 10am and pick a spot in the shade and stay there all day. Usually it was the L-shaped couch/chair/coffee table set up we preferred. One day we went to grab a quick bite and left all our stuff there (very well spread out, clothes, hats, glasses, tote bag, water bottles, etc. it was obvious we would be back soon).  We returned about 30 minutes later and some random guy was sitting on the end of our couch!  It was kinda weird because he didn't leave when we returned and plopped ourselves back down.  I didn't say anything.  Turns out he was just dog tired from burning in the sun and wanted a seat in the shade for a bit.  I didn't mind too much since the couch is gigantic but it was a bit awkward. He left after a little bit.  I think they need more shade up there.

I guess because you were actively using the chairs it's a bit different.  At the same time by taking that space all day it prevents others from having a chance for those prime spots. Not sure after all that's all that much different. I find that same issue in the spa on the heated seats. People park there for hours, even sleeping there.  As there aren't too many I think that's pretty selfish.  After awhile I just gave up trying.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I guess because you were actively using the chairs it's a bit different.  At the same time by taking that space all day it prevents others from having a chance for those prime spots. Not sure after all that's all that much different. I find that same issue in the spa on the heated seats. People park there for hours, even sleeping there.  As there aren't too many I think that's pretty selfish.  After awhile I just gave up trying.

Where is Paul Blart when we need him?

Now what really does annoy me is ‘bag chair hogs’. A couple have two beds then pile their wraps, bag…on a third. To a passer by it looks like the bed is reserved. Seen exactly the same at the sunset bar. If two couples do this that is a third couple that could be accommodated…

On a very busy Refection we decided not to bother even trying to get sun beds in the Solarium and simply put our wraps and flip flops on a side ledge whilst we had a swim. We rarely stay long. Enjoying our swim we noted at least two couples with a bed for possessions. Not bothered enough to make a fuss, we simply drip dried on the toad stools in the sunset bar. However, since then I can’t help but notice couples on busy ships reaching out to that third bed to get sun cream etc…

Edited by chemmo

On 9/26/2022 at 11:47 PM, ScottC4746 said:

On Solstice in September in Alaska it wasn't the chair hogs we had issues with.  It was table hogs in the buffet.  So many parties just sitting playing cards while people circled like hawks for a place to sit.  We finally started going to the MDR for breakfast and lunch.

Seen that on the Equinox often. So selfish and arrogant when they can see people struggling to find tables and bearing in mind there is a card room.

8 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Seen that on the Equinox often. So selfish and arrogant when they can see people struggling to find tables and bearing in mind there is a card room.

People paid for the cruise, so they want what they want when they want it, and for as long as they want!  This is the mentality of many cruisers, so you have to decide to play their game, or just walk away.  You paid; they paid, so first come, first serve, I guess.  Too bad so many are missing the good things that come from sharing and just being polite.  I have a wonderful experience/story, but it would take to long to tell.  It is truly better to share than to not share!  Just pay it forward and see what happens...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

I've been thinking about this.   
What stops someone from scooping up the belongings on all of the chair hog's chairs?   

Say you get there mildly early and you get the last chair without crap on it.  Wait an hour and then clear all the chairs that haven't been visited while you were there.  Seems like that would minimize the chair hogs because some of those have probably decided to reserve chairs just because 'that is how things are done, and what you have to do in order to get a chair.'

One thing that used to drive me insane back when I travelled for work and took about 30 RT flights a year was the people that would put their carry-on in the front of the plane on their way to the back of the plane.  This would be when very people were on the plane yet.    They thought it was great because they didn't have to drag their suitcase to the back of the plane.  Yet, the person that sat under their luggage often had to have their stuff moved to the back of the plane, and therefore they were the very last ones off the plane since they had to wait to be able to work their way back there.   Those people are probably the also chair hogs on cruises.   I would take the luggage and just set it on the seat.   Later the flight attendant would ask whose luggage that was, I'd say "He went to the back of the plane."    Often that luggage was checked.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, dlh015 said:

Talk about a no-win situation. Can't 'reserve'  them (which I agree is not right) and you can't spend the day on them. I guess we'll have to start an hourly sign-up sheet...sheesh...

I think they are referring  to the heated lounge chairs in the Persian Gardens.  There is a sign that asks to limit your time to 30 minutes and be quite.  

We were in AQ and went to the Persians Gardens.  All of the loungers were occupied.   We were told to come back 30 minutes later.   We did and the same passengers were there.   I took a picture.   Returned and it was the same.  I showed the picture to the attendant and she asked them to leave as they were there too long and people were waiting.  No one got up.   I decided I will make it uncomfortable and turned on my IPhone playing loud music and saidvery loud  if you can’t honor the rules I won’t either. You have all been here for over a hour and I have your photo.  Give others a chance.     They got the message.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2