Different Passenger Service Act question

triple7tahoe

I am getting different answers each time I ask Princess so thought I would throw this out for further thoughts. I am aware that it is not possible to take a repositioning cruise; say from Seattle to Vancouver (1 day) and then stay on the same ship for a cruise back to the United States. I am guessing that I could not take the one day cruise from Seattle to Vancouver and then stay on the same ship as it goes to Hawaii,; Yes there is a one way cruise from Vancouver ending in Hawaii with a stop in Seattle.  My question--Could I take that one day to Vancouver and then stay on the same ship as it goes on to Hawaii and then Australia/New Zealand? I have heard yes/no and I have no idea in my conversations with Princess. Anybody want to weigh in?

It all depends on where you embark and disembark .. so, if you start in Seattle and end in Australia, according to the PVSA,  you should be ok … now, just expect to have to explain that along the way.  
if, for some reason, you disembark in Hawaii, you will probably receive a heavy fine, which I believe is somewhere under $1000 pp.  

13 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

if you start in Seattle and end in Australia, according to the PVSA,  you should be ok

This is correct. Talk to your CVP and have them run it with the business folks.  The standard princess people that answer the phones don't have the experience or knowledge to tackle this question properly, but a good CVP and work with the office to get it approved in the system.

• Like 1

In general any cruise where you disembark in a different country than the one you embarked in is fine.  That said, based on experience the Seattle to Vancouver one day cruise is probably more trouble than it's worth in this case, I'd probably just take the train up to Vancouver and embark there if I was doing that.

• Like 7

My question--Could I take that one day to Vancouver and then stay on the same ship as it goes on to Hawaii and then Australia/New Zealand?

You can sail from Seattle to Australia/New Zealand via Vancouver.

You can also sail Seattle to Vancouver and then Round Trip Vancouver.

But, You can not embark in Seattle and disembark in Hawaii even though the ship stops at Vancouver. That would be a sailing between two US ports without a call at a distant foreign port. 

No.( there is no cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii stopping in Seattle.) The cruise from Seattle is a one day cruise to . From Vancouver is another cruise. The only way to go from Seattle to Hawaii, is to get off a ship in Vancouver, stay off until the next day (considered 24 hours), , and take another ship to Hawaii.

My question--Could I take that one day to Vancouver and then stay on the same ship as it goes on to Hawaii and then Australia/New Zealand? I have heard yes/no and I have no idea in my conversations with Princess. Anybody want to weigh in?”

Although it is technically a legal cruise, I would not bother.  Many people will not understand making it is a potential hassle.  I would just start in Vancouver.  Not worth the hassle IMO.   

17 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

No.( there is no cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii stopping in Seattle.) The cruise from Seattle is a one day cruise to . From Vancouver is another cruise. The only way to go from Seattle to Hawaii, is to get off a ship in Vancouver, stay off until the next day (considered 24 hours), , and take another ship to Hawaii.

I don't see the 24 hours as being necessary if different ships.  Back in 2019 I did a one night on HAL Seattle to Vancouver, to board an NCL Vancouver to LA.  Didn't overnight in Vancouver.  Different vessels is not a PVSA violation.

Maybe there's a different ship the OP can take Seattle to Vancouver.

There is no PVSA problem.  Cruise #1 (Seattle to Vancouver) is not a problem.  Cruise #2 (Vancouver to Sydney) is not a problem.  The PVSA can be violated if two cruises "add up" to a violation, but here the aggregate trip (Seattle to Sydney) is not a problem.  

If Cruise #2 ended in Hawaii (Vancouver to Hawaii), that would be a problem. But if Hawaii is just a port stop on a trans Pacific cruise, you are fine.  

34 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

Please take a look at the Royal Princess for September 25, 2023. It is offering a 7 day cruise to Hawaii that stops in Seatle on September 26. It is also being offered as a longer cruise either to NZ or Australia. There is also a one day Sept 24 from Seattle to Vancouver and I am aware I could not take Seattle to VAncouver and then on to Hawaii. I just wondered if I could stay on until NZ. By taking the one day I would avoid having to get a hotel in VAncouver (I would never arrive in a city more than 50 miles away on the day of a cruise.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

8 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

Please take a look at the Royal Princess for September 25, 2023. It is offering a 7 day cruise to Hawaii that stops in Seatle on September 26. It is also being offered as a longer cruise either to NZ or Australia. There is also a one day Sept 24 from Seattle to Vancouver and I am aware I could not take Seattle to VAncouver and then on to Hawaii. I just wondered if I could stay on until NZ. By taking the one day I would avoid having to get a hotel in VAncouver (I would never arrive in a city more than 50 miles away on the day of a cruise.

Ha!

I am booked on the Vancouver to Honolulu cruise mentioned here.

Weedpindle:

always make sure you check the website before saying this cruise doesn’t exist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, triple7tahoe said:

The PSVA states that when sailing on a non US flag vessel a passenger is not permitted to embark at one US port and disembark at another US port unless the ship stops at a distant foreign port of call. So if you embark in Seattle and disembark in Australia then it is not a violation of the PSVA as you are not embarking/disembarking at two different US ports. You are sailing a one way trip from Seattle to Australia.

With that being said it may be cumbersome for Princess to understand exactly what is going on. You might wish to consider just boarding in Vancouver. Makes it easier for all that don't understand. 

• Like 1

Probably unrelated to the original question, but I'm mostly curious why that particular itinerary includes a seemingly random stop in Seattle before heading off to Hawaii.  There's probably some operational reason for it (my guess is that they're either onboarding/offboarding crew there before the long repositioning or it would be easier to for the ship to clear customs in Seattle than in Honolulu) 

Also, I see that they have the Seattle to Vancouver repo as a 2-day cruise (with a sea day) instead of a one-day for this one.  If you can get them to allow it that might actually be a bit more reasonable than the usual one-day repo.  The main problem with the short repos is that a lot of ships tend do them at the same time, and Canada Place with 3 or 4 ships in port is just a mess (we're talking things like 4 hours in the security line.)  If I was on the long repo I'd probably still just take the train to Vancouver, but 2 days might be worth it.  I'd reccomend using a site like cruisetimetables to find out how many ships you're dealing with at Vancouver though.

Edited by Vexorg

"There's probably some operational reason for it (my guess is that they're either onboarding/offboarding crew there before the long repositioning or it would be easier to for the ship to clear customs in Seattle than in Honolulu)" 

I think you most likely will clear U.S. immigration in Vancouver as you board. I think the reason is that it is a nice port of call for most passengers on board that have not been to Seattle. It might also be easier to take on new crew in the U.S. and maybe fuel is less expensive in Seattle.