Best Comment Ever From A Crew Member

ReneeFLL

Got off the Allure yesterday. The ship docked in the opposite direction so they could use some cranes for work on the port side. Line was long getting off. It started past the aft elevators on deck 5 and went thru the MDR then onto the jogging track and back forward of the ship to depart. There was a crew member who was standing at the entrance of the MDR making sure no one cut in line from the side. Line was slow moving so we over heard a conversation.

Passenger tries to cut into the line and crew member says she has to go to the back of the line. Passenger looked back at the long line and says her group number was 5 and she has to be at the airport in 30 minutes. They are now up to group 28. Crew member told her she should have gotten up earlier. 😱  I turned to my husband thinking I didn’t hear what I just heard because no crew would ever be so bold and tell it like it is. Yep, I heard right. I was so happy she stood her ground even when the passenger kept trying to talk her way into the front of the line. Later as the line snaked around I could see her way behind us. That crew member made my day. 🥂 😁

What was the best comment you ever heard from a crew member?

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Does the captain  count? Last week at the tier party he said he was going to take us to cozumel because some of us hadnt been there ... it's a standing joke out of Galveston every ship goes to cozumel. 

I like captain james. He says hes from tampa but has a southern drawl. He said he will be bringing allure into texas for us. Hes got a lot more personality than liberty cd. Everyone loves him.

• Like 5

I hate line jumpers, but I'm not sure people potentially missing their flights would be my favorite experience.  😞

I don't know the whole situation you had, but if I was not in a rush and people had early flights, I probably would have offered them to jump in.  If the crew member actually said they should have gotten up earlier, that crew member should be fired, or at best go through some remedial customer service training.  

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

I hate line jumpers, but I'm not sure people potentially missing their flights would be my favorite experience.  😞

I don't know the whole situation you had, but if I was not in a rush and people had early flights, I probably would have offered them to jump in.  If the crew member actually said they should have gotten up earlier, that crew member should be fired, or at best go through some remedial customer service training.  

Sorry, but I disagree. They should have gotten up sooner. The crew member was probably tired of dealing with entitled people. If I was to let them in front of me, do you think it’s fair to others behind me who got up on time and were ready when they were supposed to be? Maybe they should have had more sense and booked a later flight.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

Sorry, but I disagree. They should have gotten up sooner. The crew member was probably tired of dealing with entitled people. If I was to let them in front of me, do you think it’s fair to others behind me who got up on time and were ready when they were supposed to be? Maybe they should have had more sense and booked a later flight.

Agree to disagree I guess.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Agreed. I always call out line jumpers. I hate being in a long line and someone's group of friends sees that they have a better place in line and casually comes up to say hi and then somehow ends up never leaving the line. I always say something, and feel like it's the duty of whoever is directly in line behind the line jumper to say something on behalf of the rest of the line.

I get it that this person was late for a flight, but that's their problem for taking a risk booking the early flight to save money and then not planning properly to be first off the ship in order to take advantage of their cheap flight (which is cheap for this exact reason). I don't mind them jumping in a line that wasn't assigned to them, as long as they get in the back of the line like everyone else.

• Like 8

Plan ahead as always, get up early and allow plenty of time to get to the airport…crazy to think a person would join the line so late if they had to be at the airport in half an hour….queue jumping happens all the time especially MDR line..rude and inconsiderate to others. Sad to say not only on the ships there is a minority everywhere you go 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

I don't know the whole situation you had, but if I was not in a rush and people had early flights, I probably would have offered them to jump in

Better hope we're not in line behind you because you'll promptly get an earful, as will the line cutters.

If the crew member actually said they should have gotten up earlier, that crew member should be fired, or at best go through some remedial customer service training.  

Why?  for telling the truth?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Agreed. I always call out line jumpers. I hate being in a long line and someone's group of friends sees that they have a better place in line and casually comes up to say hi and then somehow ends up never leaving the line. I always say something, and feel like it's the duty of whoever is directly in line behind the line jumper to say something on behalf of the rest of the line.

Totally agree, we do the same

1 minute ago, crazyank said:

Better hope we're not in line behind you because you'll promptly get an earful, as will the line cutters.

If the crew member actually said they should have gotten up earlier, that crew member should be fired, or at best go through some remedial customer service training.  

Why?  for telling the truth?

Crew members are not there to provide commentary or to tell the truth.  They are not your friends.  They are there to provide a service.  Ridiculing or giving rude comments to paying customers is not a good business model.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

Crew members are not there to provide commentary or to tell the truth.  They are not your friends.  They are there to provide a service.  Ridiculing or giving rude comments to paying customers is not a good business model.

and stopping line cutters IS providing a service to everybody else in line.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, crazyank said:

and stopping line cutters IS providing a service to everybody else in line.

Stopping a line cutter is fine.  Thats not the issue.  There is a professional way of doing that.  Telling a line cutter they should have gotten up earlier is a poor choice of words from a customer service employee.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

If this person did make a mistake and overslept the crew member should have done everything to make sure that customer got off the ship and had a chance to make their flight. We all make mistakes and I'm sure that if some of the other posters here had made this same mistake they would have expected to be treated better than this person was and the title of that thread would have been;

Worst Comment Ever From A Crew Member

Perhaps the crew member knew that this person was actually in group 55 and was a true line jumper. But what would be the chance of that being true. I agree with @Stealthdog, the crew member should have chosen better words.

As the man said,: He chose poorly"!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

But, that's not just up to you when there are a lot of people behind you.  It impacts everyone when someone doesn't plan well.  The person should have gotten up earlier.  If they had that low a number they would have been long off the ship if they had gotten in line when it was their turn instead of expecting others to do it for them.  I don't think the crew member was out of line at all.  Too many people expect to be treated special.

Edited by BND
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Spent 25 years as a customer service manager for Macys and 10 in a municipal tax department.  You can THINK “should have got your butt out of bed earlier “. You can’t SAY it.  The proper course of action from a CS standpoint would have been to pass the person off to a supervisor/manager & let them have the conversation and make a decision.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

I hate line jumpers too!  The worst is the sneaky ones and then when they are confronted they think they have a reason more important than everyone else that is standing there.   

I find nothing wrong with what the crew member said.   Sure there are other ways they could have said to the butter and perhaps the line butter could have handled differently too. 

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, this crew member that was regulating the debarkation line also works in adventure ocean. So she’s trained to deal with childish behavior…. This line did move fast though. I remember walking out the cabin door at 6:45 and then getting through airport security at 7:15. Very smooth process. Although we didn’t book the 8 am flight(and I don’t recommend booking one that early) we were able to get on standby. 

I’ll admit I have a soft spot for someone missing their flights, whether or not it’s their own fault. I would have tried to help them in some way.  I’m very familiar with missing a commute flight home and spending the night in an airport or cheap hotel away from family.  Airfare is not cheap and most people buy the airfare that doesn’t include same day changes or standby. Missing your flight will surely make for a rough day(or two) of travel. 

16 minutes ago, poocher said:

Spent 25 years as a customer service manager for Macys and 10 in a municipal tax department.  You can THINK “should have got your butt out of bed earlier “. You can’t SAY it.  The proper course of action from a CS standpoint would have been to pass the person off to a supervisor/manager & let them have the conversation and make a decision.  

Pretty sure the individual has been tasked with making decisions and know what they can and can't do.  It's not like the reasons she's late was caused by the ship.  It's personal responsibility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

Give me a break!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BND said:

But, that's not just up to you when there are a lot of people behind you.  It impacts everyone when someone doesn't plan well.  The person should have gotten up earlier.  If they had that low a number they would have been long off the ship if they had gotten in line when it was their turn instead of expecting others to do it for them.  I don't think the crew member was out of line at all.  Too many people expect to be treated special.

I get that perpective.  I get alot of anxiety travelling and am always worried about missing flights. If I had my way Id be at an airport 6 hours before a flight.  I get the same way on excursions - i even get worried when on the cruise excursion even though I know the ship will wait.

If someone really had debarkation #5 and there was a long line to get off the ship, and I was 20 something, i would have shown those people compassion.  Who knows how many people were even in line with a later number that wasnt even called yet.  They were given #5 for a reason.  Was the crew member also verifying other peoples departure number and kicking people out of the line if their number wasnt called yet?

We just got off the symphony and the ship started debarking about 20 minutes late.  Once they started, they called 1-22 together.  So, its not always that simple.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stealthdog said:

I get that perpective.  I get alot of anxiety travelling and am always worried about missing flights. If I had my way Id be at an airport 6 hours before a flight.  I get the same way on excursions - i even get worried when on the cruise excursion even though I know the ship will wait.

If someone really had debarkation #5 and there was a long line to get off the ship, and I was 20 something, i would have shown those people compassion.  Who knows how many people were even in line with a later number that wasnt even called yet.  They were given #5 for a reason.  Was the crew member also verifying other peoples departure number and kicking people out of the line if their number wasnt called yet?

We just got off the symphony and the ship started debarking about 20 minutes late.  Once they started, they called 1-22 together.  So, its not always that simple.  

You don't have to agree with me.

I always remember the phrase, "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."  Having said that, I once jumped line in front of over a hundred passengers waiting in line at the US Air desk in Philly.  Long story, but basically every flight was cancelled due to weather - except mine.  I had been in line for nearly two hours and everyone else was just trying to rebook.  I needed to check in and check a bag (had to transfer a ticket from Delta).  About 40 minutes before my still on-time flight was to depart, I decided to jump out of line and go to the desk.  It nearly started a riot, but I did make my flight.  

• Haha 1