MTD frustration- They can't have it both ways

So, just kind of an observation after a recent Allure cruise.

It was just my wife and myself and we were content with MTD, made reservations in advance for the same time every night.

The first night, we were give a lovely table that was actually for four, right by the window and had a great time.  The wait staff was attentive and friendly, and the head waiter was very nice.  He said "if you like this table, we will see you every night!".  We were happy to hear this, but had no actual expectation of such. He told us to ask for him by name when we arrived the next night and he would see to it.  We did so the next night, and all was good.

Night three, we showed up and I again told the woman at the stand to let him know we were there, and she was basically giving that a hard no.  She said "we have a different table for you tonight, you're all set".  I again asked " is (so and so) available?" and she said they couldn't give us our table (not what I asked), because it was set for a party of fourteen (!).

Not wanting to put up a fight, we were led in. We walked past where our table was, and it had two people at it (not fourteen LOL!).  They then brought us to a table for four that was three tables away from the window.  I told the person seating us we would prefer the window seat, and he stated "I'm sorry, that one is reserved already".  I said, "it's my understanding that there are no reserved tables in MTD, which is why we don't have ours tonight, but that is a lovely window table and we are here now, so we would like to sit there".  He politely relented and we were seated by the window.

Come night four, our original head waiter found us and took care of us the rest of the week.

So to me, the issue is, you can't have it both ways. We didn't ASK for a reserved table, but they offered it.  If that's the case, great.  But make sure you honor it.  When they switched us up on night three, in my mind all bets were off. Don't tell me I can't have a reserved table, but then seat me in a less desirable one because another empty table IS reserved.

Overall, the service and food were excellent!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

So to me, the issue is, you can't have it both ways.

The T in MTD stands for time, not table. They have all kinds of criteria for seating folks which probably varies by the day (and which could bump you from your usual table), but the default is to keep you in the same general area. If lucky, you may get the same table for the whole sailing, but don't count on it.

• Like 3

Be polite, very polite, but don't be passive.  They can get a bit bullying in the crush. 

Me? When I passed "my" table, I would make a U-turn, go back to the podium, inform the person that table #XYZ is, indeed, for 2 people, and I would like it when the people sitting there are finished.  Can you check and see approximately when that might be?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pcur said:

Be polite, very polite, but don't be passive.  They can get a bit bullying in the crush. 

Me? When I passed "my" table, I would make a U-turn, go back to the podium, inform the person that table #XYZ is, indeed, for 2 people, and I would like it when the people sitting there are finished.  Can you check and see approximately when that might be?

I agree.

Plus I've found that if you stand at the table, leaning over it a bit, the people will tend to finish dessert a little quicker.👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 9/27/2022 at 11:28 AM, Biker19 said:

The T in MTD stands for time, not table. They have all kinds of criteria for seating folks which probably varies by the day (and which could bump you from your usual table), but the default is to keep you in the same general area. If lucky, you may get the same table for the whole sailing, but don't count on it.

I never heard of this. Is it fairly new?

We always go with My Time Dining, but on our past cruises our teenagers took care of the reservations, and we just got dressed when they told us.

On our recent cruise, our waiters said to us (on the first night) that they'd set us up for the remaining nights of the cruise -- we agreed.  We were placed at the same table /with the same wait staff every night.  

They seemed anxious "to reserve us".  It made me think it would impact their tips at the end of the week -- plus we're just a couple /not a big group, and we're polite and undemanding.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

We always request a table by the window and the same servers the whole cruise for MTD.  I’ve never had an issue with our request. One time we had to wait for the table to be available, but we didn’t mind waiting.  I’ve emailed them in dance when I had trouble making reservations online and I’ve gone to the dining room the first day to make my request when it wasn’t as busy. They always seem happy to help us. 

My wife and I had MTD on the past three cruises. In September on the Oasis, reservations could not be made before 6:45pm on the app even when we tried to reserve ASAP pre-cruise. Once onboard, within the first hour, the app would not allow any reservations before 7:15pm throughout the cruise.

I had reserved late times between 8:30pm and 9pm for the entire week. The first night was 9:00pm. This time in the past was usually lighter in volume than earlier times. We arrived about 8:40pm and it was chaotic. There were lines of more than thirty people in the 8:00pm queue, 8:30pm queue, no 9pm queue was organized yet, and a thirty+ standby queue for those walking in without a reservation.

We were seated by about 9:35pm. I cancelled the next few nights and we were satisfied with the Windjammer, we do not go on a cruise for the food. I keep reservations for two of the remaining nights and things were improved slightly. We spent about 30 minutes from the time we were in line to the table but this was with reservations.

With MTD, we understand we do not normally pick the table or the servers. I just do not want to lose 30 or more minutes just trying to get to the table with reservations. I am using regular second seating dining on my next cruise. On another thread, a cruiser suggested this with the caveat to inform the servers the night before or as soon as possible if we will not be attending the table so they do not waste their time waiting for us which I believe is a considerate thing to do.

I have been cruising for many decades. When MTD first came into existence, gratuities were mandated to be paid pre-cruise when choosing MTD. The reason given was we did not know who was going to serve us and servers would still be tipped for no-shows. Some cruisers were going to the Windjammer for all three meals instead of the Main Dining Room leaving no tips for anyone serving meals to empty reserved seating in the Main Dining Room. The servers at the time were given a set number of guests to serve and their tips would be affected when people would not show up. I remember how upset one of our Main Dining Room waiters was when a woman was there every night except for the last night when tips were normally given to the waiter and busboy. He believed that this was done intentionally to avoid tipping which was expected at the time.

The debate over gratuities is ongoing in another thread and I do not want to get into the pros and cons here. I am just stating the reason I was given by TAs years ago when I first asked about MTD.

So I will used second main dining seating, inform staff if I am going to miss a meal, and pay the standard daily gratuities so my servers are still compensated for my empty seat.

7 hours ago, nferr said:

Not to be mean but seems kind of selfish IMO.

I’m a little confused, instead of choosing early or late seating, with the same table and servers each night, the OP wants to choose a particular window seat table, and wants it to remain vacant every night regardless on when they arrive for dinner. Am I missing something? 

• Like 4