Only second cruise ever so mostly newbie--when and how do I purchase internet, plus Windjammer?

Katems75

The title says it all!  My cruise isn't until May so maybe that's why my app isn't showing options or purchase?  Or am I missing it?  It looks like I can reserve dining but don't plan to, I was just surprised there was a 'reserve' button as I thought one had to be on board first.  Also, in the dining section it said you had to make reservations for Windjammer???  My first and only cruise was 2018 and Windjammer was just a buffet that you could come and go at.

I heard internet packages can go on sale...at what point is best to purchase internet and if the prices drop can you get the lower price?  I also heard purchasing internet for one person with two devices was better than each person purchasing a one device package?  It will just be me and my daughter and we only care about our phones.

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

The title says it all!  My cruise isn't until May so maybe that's why my app isn't showing options or purchase?  Or am I missing it?  It looks like I can reserve dining but don't plan to, I was just surprised there was a 'reserve' button as I thought one had to be on board first.  Also, in the dining section it said you had to make reservations for Windjammer???  My first and only cruise was 2018 and Windjammer was just a buffet that you could come and go at.

I heard internet packages can go on sale...at what point is best to purchase internet and if the prices drop can you get the lower price?  I also heard purchasing internet for one person with two devices was better than each person purchasing a one device package?  It will just be me and my daughter and we only care about our phones.

Thank you!

You don't need to make reservations for the Windjammer.  I don't know where it would say that but if it does it is wrong.  It is best to purchase internet in the cruise planner before you are aboard.  The best time is when it is on one of their sales.  The happen at least once a month and are often best around long weekends.  Not sure why that is a thing but that's my experience anyways.

If you do buy it and the price goes down you can cancel and rebook.  refunds take about a week.

You are correct purchase one person 2 devices and share it.  It is cheaper than 1 device for each of 2 people.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  First of all, no reservations are needed for Windjammer.  So don't worry about that.  Don't use the app for pre-cruise planning and reservations. It's mainly for use on the ship or helpful to see what shows (as you get closer) for daily activities.  But until you are actually onboard and connected to the ship's wifi (free connect for just using the app) it won't really be fully accurate or functional.  So, to book things before the cruise, like a wifi package, you need to log into your Royal Caribbean account via a web browser, then go to 'plan my cruise' and you'll see things you can book, like wifi, drink packages, specialty dining, excursions.   For a May cruise, there probably isn't much yet, I have a cruise in May also and there's only a couple of things in there.   Keep an eye out for what is usually some good sales for those things in the Cruise Planner at Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  But even then, they might not have everything loaded for a May sailing, although I hope the do.  Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Welcome to CC and cruising.  It will become an addiction I assure you.  Yep, it seems shore excursions haven't been coming online until closer to sailing.  If you plan to use texting between your companion and yourself then you will want two device wifi so you can both be on line at the same time.  Cheaper for one person to buy it and make it a two device plan.  Our recent cruise I did the four device plan and the fourth device was only $5 per day with the multi device discount.  I totally agree to watch for major holiday sales for extras.  Just on Labor Day the DBP went down a little for the day.   

• Like 1

This is all very helpful, thank you!  I went to 'manage my cruise' and saw internet sales, but did not see how to choose one person with two devices.  I only saw a way to reserve the surf and stream and just surf.  When I clicked on them I could choose the guest but couldn't see a way to choose just me with two devices.  I was too scared to go further in case it booked for real.

The price was 20% off.  Does it normally go less than that?

Also, the surf and stream says you can use it for posting on social media.  Can you not post with just plain surf?  My daughter and I want to be able to text, surf the web, email, and post on social media.  Which package do we need?

Thank you!

45 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

This is all very helpful, thank you!  I went to 'manage my cruise' and saw internet sales, but did not see how to choose one person with two devices.  I only saw a way to reserve the surf and stream and just surf.  When I clicked on them I could choose the guest but couldn't see a way to choose just me with two devices.  I was too scared to go further in case it booked for real.

Also, the surf and stream says you can use it for posting on social media.  Can you not post with just plain surf?  My daughter and I want to be able to text, surf the web, email, and post on social media.  Which package do we need?

Thank you!

The lowest price on my next cruise for 2 devices surf + stream was $31/day. I just ignore the percentages and sale banners and buy things based on lowest price.  

The difference between surf and stream is maximum capped speed.  Surf is capped at something like 1.5 Mbps and Stream is capped at 5Mbps.  I may be off a bit on those numbers, but it's something close, but my point is, it's the capped maximum speed. The good news is that unless you really want to stream video, you can get by with Surf for "scrolling" and wifi calling and texting.  In fact, you'll be really lucky to get 1.5Mbps speeds even if you purchase the faster "stream" service.  

There are three things that will affect overall performance of your Voom Internet connection: The strength of the ship's satellite signal, the strength of the signal of the internal wifi repeaters that your device connect to, and how many other people are sharing those signals.  The ship needs clear skies for a good connection to the satellite.  Wifi signal strength varies throughout the ship.  Move around and see if it gets better.  Also, the access points don't "hand-off" smoothly, so when moving, try shutting wifi off and back on to have it reset the connection.  Finally, when it's cold and rainy and everyone is in their rooms whining about it on the forums, expect Voom to be extra-slow. 

1 hour ago, Katems75 said:

If you want it, book it now.  If prices drop or a new promotion shows up, you can cancel and rebook with the cheaper rate.  There will probably be some good deals during Black Friday promotions, which might be good for your sailing.  

5 hours ago, Katems75 said:

Thank you!

Reservations for WJ was a post covid thing, that even during the initial few months of return to cruising, they didn’t bother with that I ever experienced.  

8 hours ago, Katems75 said:

I went to 'manage my cruise' and saw internet sales, but did not see how to choose one person with two devices.

It would be very unusual for RCI to not offer multiple device packages - click on the Internet tab in the planner (don't just look at the main planner page) and there should be many more options.

12 hours ago, Katems75 said:

This is all very helpful, thank you!  I went to 'manage my cruise' and saw internet sales, but did not see how to choose one person with two devices.  I

As recall it's on the very last tab before you pay for it.  There's a drop down menu to pick number of devices and the cost in your cart will change accordingly.  As pointed out, ignore the "Sales" banners and just watch the price.  If you think it's a good deal then buy it.  

19 hours ago, Katems75 said:

Also, in the dining section it said you had to make reservations for Windjammer???

RCI did try to get you to make Windjammer dinner reservations post covid but, they never enforced the policy.  In fact, one cruise we were on the Windjammer was closed for dinner.  So far this year no reservation required for Windjammer.