Adding days in Paris or Montmartre

ilenea

We will be doing the Uniworld Grand France that ends with an overnight in Paris.  We've been to Paris before, many years ago, so we plan on spending the day with the overnight on board doing a few things we missed (going to the top of the Eiffel Tower, maybe a nearby neighborhood that we missed), then, on debarkation day, were thinking about adding a night or two in Montmartre.  Is there enough to do/see in Montmartre for a day or two, or will we be able to do all of the strolling and window shopping we'd want (Place du Tertre, Sacre Coeur, maybe a show at Moulin Rouge) on debarkation day afternoon with just one overnight?  The day after we debark is a holiday in France, so we probably won't be able to do much anywhere in Montmartre on that day (I'm guessing), except, perhaps, Sacre Coeur since it's open on holidays, so I'm contemplating adding 3 nights since 1 day will be limited by the holiday.

I have two suggestions for a 'return' visit to Paris:

•  https://2cvparistour.com – tootling around your choice of neighborhoods in an open top Deux Chevaux!  What a hoot!  [and don't worry, you don't have to drive...]

•  https://www.eatingeurope.com/paris/montmartre-food-tour-2-2/ – billed as a 3 hour walking tour with gourmet lunch, turned out to be a 5+ hour walking tour with gourmet lunch plus desserts – and will definitely answer your question "Is there enough to do/see in Montmartre for a day?" with a resounding Yes!

More details in my review:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have two suggestions for a 'return' visit to Paris:

•  https://2cvparistour.com – tootling around your choice of neighborhoods in an open top Deux Chevaux!  What a hoot!  [and don't worry, you don't have to drive...]

•  https://www.eatingeurope.com/paris/montmartre-food-tour-2-2/ – billed as a 3 hour walking tour with gourmet lunch, turned out to be a 5+ hour walking tour with gourmet lunch plus desserts – and will definitely answer your question "Is there enough to do/see in Montmartre for a day?" with a resounding Yes!

I will check these out!  Hoping things will be open on Monday, May 1st - a holiday in France.

20 minutes ago, ilenea said:

I will check these out!  Hoping things will be open on Monday, May 1st - a holiday in France.

The chef's tour of Montmartre visits many shops, so if they're not going to be open that wouldn't be good on May 1.  But the 2CV tour should be ok, because you don't stop and get out – unless the traffic is bad or there are parades or demonstrations, but the driver should know how to avoid that.

I wouldn’t spend more than a day in Monmartre and definitely would not stay there. A show at Moulin Rouge is sure to be disappointing…a total tourist trap.  Consider spending time in the Marais, drill down to the smaller museums, take the Metro wherever you need to go, take a cooking class.  Top of Tour Eiffel is not worth the wait.  Slow down and enjoy the cafe culture.  Go to the Aligre market.  Stay at The Peninsula.    

• Like 2

If you want to experience the feel of a Parisian neighborhood without all the tourists of Montmartre and the Marais, I recommend Île Saint-Louis [the little island behind Notre-Dame and Île de la Cité].  We have stayed at two hotels there and recommend them both:

•  Hôtel du Jeu de Paume [a beautifully renovated old building with all mod cons – stayed in 2022]

•  Hôtel de Lutèce [a sister property – stayed in 2015]

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

You don’t need 2 days in Montmartre. We took a 1/2 tour that was enough. Stay in a lovely neighborhood in Paris. Is your Uniworld Tour going to Versailles? I would take the train from Paris and go to Versailles for the day. 

Just be aware that the gardens of Versailles are not at their best this year.  There is some infestation that is wiping out the boxwood hedges in the huge formal garden that makes the first vista from the château.  When we were there this spring they still hadn't figured out what was causing it, so I wouldn't expect them to have repaired the damage in 2023.  [After that the 'interior rooms' of the gardens and the reflecting pool are ok, but that first impression was like 'are we back in the Revolution?']

1956459687_12Versailles.thumb.jpeg.1b284c63e5efecca3ad53f3e21456c1e.jpeg

Yup the Box infection is also in the U.K. we have one of our pots done for and the other fine we are just trying to keep it going. 
I drove a 2CV for 14 years until my husband (after driving him oh and myself to Ascot races) decided that it was not safe for me to be driving in it on motorways. I’ve had various vehicles in my life including pick-ups and now a Mini on steroids but my ‘Rhubarb & Custard’ deaux chevoux was such fun, as the car salesman said changing gear is like tromboning and from the drivers seat it has central locking as you can reach all the doors.

• Like 2

We have twice stayed in Saint Germain at the DaVinci Hotel and Spa and love the location. We reserve our time in advance for the Eiffel Tower, as it is a must do for us. We find the location central to everything, either by walking or a shot metro ride. I agree that Montmarte can be done in a day.

Robin

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just be aware that the gardens of Versailles are not at their best this year.  There is some infestation that is wiping out the boxwood hedges in the huge formal garden that makes the first vista from the château.  When we were there this spring they still hadn't figured out what was causing it, so I wouldn't expect them to have repaired the damage in 2023.  [After that the 'interior rooms' of the gardens and the reflecting pool are ok, but that first impression was like 'are we back in the Revolution?']

1956459687_12Versailles.thumb.jpeg.1b284c63e5efecca3ad53f3e21456c1e.jpeg

Ugh!  I was already wondering what else to do the day of our Versailles stop on the cruise.  We've done Versailles (inside and out) ... probably a good day for a spa day!

6 hours ago, acwmom said:

We have twice stayed in Saint Germain at the DaVinci Hotel and Spa and love the location. We reserve our time in advance for the Eiffel Tower, as it is a must do for us. We find the location central to everything, either by walking or a shot metro ride. I agree that Montmarte can be done in a day.

Robin

Can Montmarte be done on the debarkation day, or is that TOO short?

35 minutes ago, ilenea said:

Ugh!  I was already wondering what else to do the day of our Versailles stop on the cruise.  We've done Versailles (inside and out) ... probably a good day for a spa day!

We did the Petit Trianon and Hamlet, which Uniwolrd offered, and loved it!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I would say yes. 

You are a well of information!  I'll make a note of the Petit Trianon and Hamlet - hope they offer it when we go in April.  I just booked the Da Vinci.  My only problem now is trying to figure out what to do on May 1st, which is a holiday, so the museums are all closed.  Maybe that should be our Eiffel Tower and Spa day, and we should do Montmartre either on the boat overnight day in Paris or the disembark day.  We are already going to Amsterdam pre-cruise and a few nights in Provence pre-cruise, so I don't want to add TOO MUCH on to the end.

3 hours ago, acwmom said:

We did Montmartre on the overnight day (last day of the cruise) . Here is a link to the trip report I did in 2018.

Wonderful trip review!!!  When did you go?  We are doing mid-April and now I'm worried that we'll need to bring heavy coats!

Do you recall what time people were able to disembark on the last day?  We'll be staying on at your favorite hotel in Paris (thank you for the recommendation), but will likely check-in then head to Montmartre for the day.

SO, for those of you who feel that one day/afternoon in Montmartre is sufficient, how did you get there? Did you do a tour, or just wander?  We really want to go to Place du Tertre (I know - very touristy with the street artists, but we LOVE art and I have quite a few paintings that include street artists in Montmartre, so I'd like to see them with my own eyes, lol), and, of course, the Sacre Coeur.  We are still contemplating doing the show/dinner at the Moulin Rouge.  We are actually 'involved' in the Broadway production of Moulin Rouge! - the musical, and, although I know that our show is a love story that takes place within the Moulin Rouge, and the actual Moulin Rouge is just a club with a Vegas-type floor show, I still think it might be fun to go ... not sure.

BTW - everyone's comments are extraordinary! Getting LOTS of ideas!!!

Okay so I’ve wondered Paris on foot by scooter and even by limousine so these are my five eggs. Montmartre is a must see if only once in your life just to say ‘I was there’.

Moulin Rouge got to go have you been to Vagas? Not so flashy but! Now street art it’s everywhere and some is exceptional and some is the most absolute rubbish and a tourist rip off ever, but if you know your art you won’t get ripped off and you’ll get lost in the quality on view.

So don’t waste your visit ilenea it may be your one and only time or you could be so blown away you’ll make the effort to visit over and over again. Paris is a beautiful complex city but there are others in this world waiting to be discovered.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ilenea said:

Wonderful trip review!!!  When did you go?  We are doing mid-April and now I'm worried that we'll need to bring heavy coats!

Do you recall what time people were able to disembark on the last day?  We'll be staying on at your favorite hotel in Paris (thank you for the recommendation), but will likely check-in then head to Montmartre for the day.

We were on the first cruise of the season, and departed on 3/18. The snow was unexpected, but made for an interesting first couple of days. You should be fine with a mid weight jacket or layers in April.

you will love the hotel! And make sure you book your private pool time in the basement. We always book the last slot for the day so we can relax after a long day of exploring.

you can disembark whenever you like since you’re not bound by a departing flight.

Enjoy!

Robin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

We were on the first cruise of the season, and departed on 3/18. The snow was unexpected, but made for an interesting first couple of days. You should be fine with a mid weight jacket or layers in April.

you will love the hotel! And make sure you book your private pool time in the basement. We always book the last slot for the day so we can relax after a long day of exploring.

you can disembark whenever you like since you’re not bound by a departing flight.

Enjoy!

Robin

Thank you, again!! VERY excited!  We'll do Montmartre on the last on-ship day and then enjoy your recommended hotel in St. Germaine!  We'll book Eiffel Tower tix for the 'holiday' day and our spa time with massages as well, so who cares if anything else is open on that day, lol!  We need to travel together some day!

• Like 1