While We Are All Enjoying Ourselves....

Ret MP

....... talking/debating/opposing each other's opinions (and I wouldn't have it any other way), and talking about our upcoming cruise, past cruises, and things we'd love to do on a cruise, I just want us all to not forget about the folks in Central Florida up to N.E. FLA tonight and for the next few days to weeks.  Give 'em a thought or prayer (if that's your thing) and maybe volunteer your time and/or money.  I've experienced many Hurricanes growing up in S. Florida, it ain't fun!

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 24

4 minutes ago, blueslily said:

My family in Central Florida came up to northern Georgia on Monday to get ahead of the existing traffic a d to not be in Florida during the storm. They retired last year so this is their first hurricane season in Florida. 

Tell them, "Welcome to ", for me.   

As a kid growing up, my parents and their best friends would alternate whose home to sit through the hurricane in.  They always turned it into a very entertaining party.  The friend was the owner of a plumbing business in Dania and he'd always have the lead melting pots during a hurricane, we'd eat like kings/queens, breakfast, lunch, and diner.  Our homes were well built and we had hurricane shutter that we put down during a hurricane.  Plenty of food and water for weeks. We had few worries. So, for me, hurricanes were always something to look forward to, a party, except for the preparations and clean-up afterwards.  

• Like 1

We are just outside Port Canaveral.  Lots of rain, and some tropical force winds overnight.  Some branches down, but amazingly never lost power. 

Sooo I guess that large jar of peanut butter, the cans of cooked chicken, and the ever trusty...never expires...can of Spam is safe from consumption for now.  😄  And my Sauvignon Blanc was nice and chilled last night.  

Did get into our beef jerky we bought,  and the homemade bread I made though.  😉 

• Like 2

We have friends and family in the Tampa-St. Pete/Sarasota/Lakeland area (about 5 or 6 households) and they all chose to stay.  And, it's not because they couldn't afford to leave.  I wouldn't have stayed.  So, some of us have been thinking about it because we know people who were in the path.  We also have friends on Merritt Island and they're getting inundated with rain and also have no power right now.  

Edited by BND

3 minutes ago, BND said:

We have friends and family in the Tampa-St. Pete/Sarasota/Lakeland area (about 5 or 6 households) and they all chose to stay.  And, it's not because they couldn't afford to leave.  I wouldn't have stayed.  So, some of us have been thinking about it because we know people who were in the path.  We also have friends on Merritt Island and they're getting inundated with rain and also have no power right now.  

Cocoa Beach had power, at least my old building does

• Like 1

Just now, BND said:

We have friends and family in the Tampa-St. Pete/Sarasota/Lakeland area (about a dozen) and they all chose to stay.  And, it's not because they couldn't afford to leave.  I wouldn't have stayed.  So, some of us have been thinking about it because we know people who were in the path.  We also have friends on Merritt Island and they're getting inundated with rain and also have no power right now.  

We went for two weeks without power when we lived on Merritt Island during hurricane in 2004, was either Jeanne or Francis can't remember which one.  Lots of overhead lines and trees on the island that combined themselves in heap.  🤕

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Cocoa Beach had power, at least my old building does

Our friends posted a picture from this morning out their back door overlooking the pond and there wasn't a single light on in or around the 5 or 6 houses in the photo.  The pond rose but no one flooded.  I'm sure they'll post more later.  I'm still waiting to see something from our friends/family on the gulf.

• Like 2

Just now, BND said:

Our friends posted a picture from this morning out their back door overlooking the pond and there wasn't a single light on in or around the 5 or 6 houses in the photo.  The pond rose but no one flooded.  I'm sure they'll post more later.  I'm still waiting to see something from our friends/family on the gulf.

We never lost power during Michael, but it was out 4-5 days during Irma. At one point our building came on, but the connecting building didn't due to a transformer failure. 

People also lose AC due to condensor damage. Ours are on roof, and the straps often rust due to salt air. Strong wind and they snap

2 hours ago, island lady said:

We are just outside Port Canaveral.  Lots of rain, and some tropical force winds overnight.  Some branches down, but amazingly never lost power. 

Sooo I guess that large jar of peanut butter, the cans of cooked chicken, and the ever trusty...never expires...can of Spam is safe from consumption for now.  😄  And my Sauvignon Blanc was nice and chilled last night.  

Did get into our beef jerky we bought,  and the homemade bread I made though.  😉 

LOL, when it was first mentioned of the Supply Chain issues a couple years ago, I went to Sam's and purchased cases of Spam, Beef Stew, Oatmeal, Chili, Vegies, and so on.  In Anniston/Oxford, AL, we don't get many Hurricanes going by.  But, in circa 1993, when I was in the Army and Stationed at Ft. McClellan, just a few miles north of where I am now, we had a record breaking Snow Storm/Blizzard that was totally unexpected.  I just wish I had a stock pile like I do now.  BTW, I never let my stock of bottled water get below 3 - 45 bottle cases (now reduced to 40 🤬 for the same price as 45 at Sam's), paper towels and toilet paper are also well stocked.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

LOL, when it was first mentioned of the Supply Chain issues a couple years ago, I went to Sam's and purchased cases of Spam, Beef Stew, Oatmeal, Chili, Vegies, and so on.  In Anniston/Oxford, AL, we don't get many Hurricanes going by.  But, in circa 1993, when I was in the Army and Stationed at Ft. McClellan, just a few miles north of where I am now, we had a record breaking Snow Storm/Blizzard that was totally unexpected.  I just wish I had a stock pile like I do now.  BTW, I never let my stock of bottled water get below 3 - 45 bottle cases (now reduced to 40 🤬 for the same price as 45 at Sam's), paper towels and toilet paper are also well stocked.  

This talk of stockpiling reminds me of a funny thing that happened before Y2K.  My mother is a bit of a worrier, so in the months leading up to Y2K, she began to stockpile essential things in their basement.  I went over there one day and there were dozens of cases of wine and liquor in the basement.  I joked about being truly prepared for a disaster, but it turned out it wasn't for their stockpile.  At the time, my mother was still working and she was the recruiter/HR director for the internal medicine program at UAB and was in charge of their parties.  They had just picked up all the liquor for the program's Christmas party.  But that did make me consider how much booze I need to keep on hand in the even of a disaster. 

• Haha 1

We are in Jacksonville and had strong winds last night and today and lost our power twice and had to use our generator.  (So glad we have one).  Power is back on now and things are getting much better!!!

Barbara

Edited by hisfirstm8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hisfirstm8 said:

We are in Jacksonville and had strong winds last night and today and lost our power twice and had to use our generator.  (So glad we have one).  Power is back on now and things are getting much better!!!

Barbara

That's great.  We have friends that live in Jville and neither are in very good shape physically.  I sure hope they are doing good.  I'm sure they are, they have lots of family around that actually care.  We will get in touch with them in a day or two.  Don't want to be a bother to them, yet!

36 minutes ago, rudeney said:

This talk of stockpiling reminds me of a funny thing that happened before Y2K.  My mother is a bit of a worrier, so in the months leading up to Y2K, she began to stockpile essential things in their basement.  I went over there one day and there were dozens of cases of wine and liquor in the basement.  I joked about being truly prepared for a disaster, but it turned out it wasn't for their stockpile.  At the time, my mother was still working and she was the recruiter/HR director for the internal medicine program at UAB and was in charge of their parties.  They had just picked up all the liquor for the program's Christmas party.  But that did make me consider how much booze I need to keep on hand in the even of a disaster. 

I don't keep much alcohol around the house.  But, I do have a gallon of Kraken Rum, for me and my wife has a couple bottles of Malibu.  We're good.  Oh, I forgot the large bottle of Jägermeister (for medicinal purposes, of course) and Butterscotch schnapps.  Reminds me, I need to get a bottle of Ouzo.  

I absolutely love beer but I don't stock it in the house.  I'd drink it and get fatter!

• Haha 1

The wrap around winds as Ian's eye was passing over us and then out to sea were actually worse than the winds last night.  Got a little wicked for a couple of hours.  Not much extra rain...but wow...those gusts were crazy. 

And I had just picked up all the branches this morning when it was calm.  Drats....time to pick up even more now.  😮  My poor beautiful Maple tree is looking very ragged.  😞 

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

The wrap around winds as Ian's eye was passing over us and then out to sea were actually worse than the winds last night.  Got a little wicked for a couple of hours.  Not much extra rain...but wow...those gusts were crazy. 

And I had just picked up all the branches this morning when it was calm.  Drats....time to pick up even more now.  😮  My poor beautiful Maple tree is looking very ragged.  😞 

Ya, but did you nail a bedsheet between two 2X4s and get on your skateboard?  Send pics/vid!  😉 

Believe it or not, we did that as kids.  I think I still have some aches and pains.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, George C said:

My brother had 2 ft of water in his house, no electricity or water , lives in Ft Myer, people in captiva and Sanibel now need to access whatever is left of there homes by boat since bridge going there is partially destroyed. 

🤧

Just saw a post from friend who lives in N. Sarasota.  He and his GF just bought their house a few months ago.  It's basically destroyed, but everyone is safe.  It's a mess where they live.  But, they chose not to evacuate even though they were in an evacuation zone and  could have easily.    DH's cousin who lives east of Tampa near Lakeland fared pretty well.  We got a text from him.  He, his partner, his mother and his 2nd cousin and her kids all did fine with a generator and boarded up house.  2nd cousin just moved back to FL and her new to her house had a tree fall on it, not sure how much damage.  Still waiting to hear from a couple of others.

6 minutes ago, BND said:

Just saw a post from friend who lives in N. Sarasota.  He and his GF just bought their house a few months ago.  It's basically destroyed, but everyone is safe.  It's a mess where they live.  But, they chose not to evacuate even though they were in an evacuation zone and  could have easily.    DH's cousin who lives east of Tampa near Lakeland fared pretty well.  We got a text from him.  He, his partner, his mother and his 2nd cousin and her kids all did fine with a generator and boarded up house.  2nd cousin just moved back to FL and her new to her house had a tree fall on it, not sure how much damage.  Still waiting to hear from a couple of others.

So far, so good.  Nobody hurt is a good thing.

• Like 1