What is your favourite port to approach by ship and to leave and Why?

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Am I correct in remembering not all ships to Stockholm go through the archipelago?

Yes. On our baltic cruise in 2011 we docked at the port of Nynäshamn and then had about an hour's bus ride into Stockholm. 

Curious if anyone has cruised into Portland, Oregon? Is it scenic or not?

Crown Princess is currently there, and it looks like a like a long transit in from the coast. I have seen Astoria on plenty of itineraries, but not many for Portland.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:54 PM, arxcards said:

Curious if anyone has cruised into Portland, Oregon? Is it scenic or not?

Crown Princess is currently there, and it looks like a like a long transit in from the coast. I have seen Astoria on plenty of itineraries, but not many for Portland.

Hold that thought. I don't know if any cruises do go to Portland, although it looks like it would be an interesting 80km transit along the Columbia & Willamette rivers. Small ship, Silverseas Silver Cloud is the only ship I can find with a call there.

Crown Princess is just in drydock there.

Departing from Halong Bay, Vietnam in the afternoon - breathtaking!

Would have been the same for arriving, but we had arrived overnight from Hong Kong, so woke up to see those fantastic limestone karsts all around us.

2 minutes ago, temani said:

Departing from Halong Bay, Vietnam in the afternoon - breathtaking!

Would have been the same for arriving, but we had arrived overnight from Hong Kong, so woke up to see those fantastic limestone karsts all around us.

Yes that is a beautiful port to depart from.

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2022 at 9:47 PM, MMDown Under said:

What is your favourite port to approach by ship and to leave?

My favourite to approach is NYC and my favourite to leave is Bora Bora in Tahiti.

Why - 

It takes forever to approach NYC with the high rises in the far distance and the big bridges.  Then you get close enough to identify the buildings and bridges. 

NYC is special because that is where I met a penpal who I got from the Parker Pen Pavilion at the World Trade Fair, NYC.  She is about to turn 80 this month and is the one I just sent a birthday card to.

Bora Bora is a stunningly beautiful romantic destination, even cruising on your own.  Just grab a chair, put your feet up and dream as the ship pulls away in the darkness !

Kotor is unbelievably beautiful and should be on everyone's bucket list.  Venice is nice cruising up the Grand Canal.  But I haven't seen Stockholm, Sweden mentioned and it is amazing.  Long, long winding cruise up the river to get to the Port of Stockholm.  Really nice.

2 hours ago, coldcdn said:

Kotor is unbelievably beautiful and should be on everyone's bucket list.  Venice is nice cruising up the Grand Canal.  But I haven't seen Stockholm, Sweden mentioned and it is amazing.  Long, long winding cruise up the river to get to the Port of Stockholm.  Really nice.

It mightn't be on everyone's bucket list, because not many Aussies would have cruised to Kotor, Montenegro.  (I had to look up the country,)  In addition not many Aussies would have cruised to Stockholm, Sweden through the islands.  There is a more direct route, which is not as beautiful.  Venice of course is well known for its beauty.

What is your favourite approach to a city, on a small ship, via a River?

Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City is a beautiful trip up river from the Coast.  It is an incredible experience  to watch the local people go about their daily lives up close.  (Saves a long return bus trip from the Coast.)

My favourite 'port' to arrive in is Milford Sound at 7am, sunrise is mind blowing, as is arriving in to fog and crossing our fingers the Captain can find the pilot and actually get it.

Leaving - has to be Sydney at dusk in the summer.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MargoK said:

My favourite 'port' to arrive in is Milford Sound at 7am, sunrise is mind blowing, as is arriving in to fog and crossing our fingers the Captain can find the pilot and actually get it.

Leaving - has to be Sydney at dusk in the summer.

Yes, we all have special memories of arriving in Milford Sound.  We were wrapped up in blankets enjoying hot chocolate as we viewed from a special deck opened for the viewing,  Aussies are lucky to have NZ so close.  

• Like 1