Meraviglia transatlantic (ON BOARD ‘till Oct 13) - Questions?

Zephyr173

On 10/2/2022 at 4:50 AM, tbmrt said:

Is it better to buy tickets when onboard?  We are traveling with friends and want to get tickets for the same show.  Also want to see what times/dates to pick that are best with our 7:45 dinner time and don't conflict with the main show.  Also not sure if these Carousel and main shows are all done on just a 3 night cruise.

Hi tbmrt,

In consulting the Daily Planner and YC concierge, it became apparent that while they strive to get the shows on, it appears the decision to do so depends on the sea conditions and whether the ship is moving.  I have not seen Houdini on the planner for a few days now, and this is perplexing as the sea was really calm.

The above pretty much answers the question about buying tickets: yes, get them on board.

we went to the Rock Circus show this evening and really enjoyed it.  The performers are full of energy and the music was well chosen in our opinion.  We were seated first row from the stage… pros: you can feel the steps, the wind of the movements and you can see their eyes and facial expressions ; cons: not sure we got the full scale of all special effects the Carousel offers.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

I have a friend that cruises lots with Carnival and knows most of the captains.  She sent me a picture of him so I'll be on the look out for him 🙂   She is also going to let him know about me being on board. 

Seen him quite a few times having breakfast at the YC Pool Grill, or a quick coffee at the TopSail, as well as the usual appearances of a Captain, such as Yatch Club cocktail.

He popped up as well for a few moment during a « behind the scenes » excursion we did today (7 Oct. 2022) while we visited the bridge.

I find he’s quite a nice guy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zephyr173 said:

Seen him quite a few times having breakfast at the YC Pool Grill, or a quick coffee at the TopSail, as well as the usual appearances of a Captain, such as Yatch Club cocktail.

He popped up as well for a few moment during a « behind the scenes » excursion we did today (7 Oct. 2022) while we visited the bridge.

I find he’s quite a nice guy.

Thanks for your reply.  Could you please tell me the names of the staff in the YC?  I have many friends among the YC MSC family and looking forward to a warm reunion with those I've sailed with before. 🙂

18 hours ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

I have a friend that cruises lots with Carnival and knows most of the captains.  She sent me a picture of him so I'll be on the look out for him 🙂   She is also going to let him know about me being on board. 

Captain Giuseppe Gazzano

• Like 1

Hi

MSC SEASCAPE NOV 19 but my questions probably are universal to the fleet.

Have you run into, or dined with, anyone who has a gluten-free regimen?

Can you tell me the brand of tea bags in the buffet and also the availability of substitute sweeteners like Sweet n Low, Stevia, Equal (or whatever).

Do the cabins have tea kettles and supplies? (We’re in deluxe balcony but not Aurea.)

This is my first MSC experience and appreciate your efforts at providing answers to these special requests.

Also WHAT MAKES MSC SPECIAL TO YOU?

XXX

SusanM.

1) is there a steamroom and/or sauna which is free to everyone in the fitness center?  or is this only available in the spa?  (on most ships the fitness center and spa are on the same deck, but different on this ship)

2) i booked a starboard-facing balcony closest to the bow, it looks like this has a solid railing (steel) instead of glass.  will i regret this since i won't be able to see out while lying down?  or do some prefer this?  (a little more privacy in port perhaps)

3) i'm assuming not many kids on transatlantic and not sure what to expect from Nov 6 sailing from port canaveral, but is there a mostly-adults pool/sun lounge area?  i read elsewhere there's not an official "adults only" part of the ship.

On 10/9/2022 at 7:46 PM, MaisonRose said:

Also WHAT MAKES MSC SPECIAL TO YOU?

Their entertainment options make MSC stand out for me as well as the service and cuisine.  Never have I sailed on a ship where a shortened version of a popular opera performed with a male and female lead whose voices were of opera quality.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 6:37 PM, greg_atlanta said:

1) is there a steamroom and/or sauna which is free to everyone in the fitness center?  or is this only available in the spa?  (on most ships the fitness center and spa are on the same deck, but different on this ship)

2) i booked a starboard-facing balcony closest to the bow, it looks like this has a solid railing (steel) instead of glass.  will i regret this since i won't be able to see out while lying down?  or do some prefer this?  (a little more privacy in port perhaps)

3) i'm assuming not many kids on transatlantic and not sure what to expect from Nov 6 sailing from port canaveral, but is there a mostly-adults pool/sun lounge area?  i read elsewhere there's not an official "adults only" part of the ship.

1).  The Thermal Spa on Mera is one of the best at sea.  But you do need to buy a pass to use it, unless you are in a Yacht Club cabin, where it is included for the length of the cruise.

2).  No idea how these cabins are.  Have you searched YouTube for a video of that cabin or a similar one?

3).  The Horizon Bar and Pool on decks 16-18 aft are supposed to be adults only.  Unfortunately, that rule is not always enforced. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 7:46 PM, MaisonRose said:

MSC SEASCAPE NOV 19 but my questions probably are universal to the fleet.

Have you run into, or dined with, anyone who has a gluten-free regimen?

Can you tell me the brand of tea bags in the buffet and also the availability of substitute sweeteners like Sweet n Low, Stevia, Equal (or whatever).

Do the cabins have tea kettles and supplies? (We’re in deluxe balcony but not Aurea.)

Not the best place for these questions, however - GF should be noted pre-boarding using the special dietary request form.  Tea bags vary by country of origin of sailing as well as venue (YC has different teas - loose leaf and bagged than the main dining room and buffet) Yes, there is sweet & low and Equal, but no stevia. There are no tea kettles in balcony cabins.  The YC will have nespresso machines.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 10:11 AM, Morgsmom said:

They are on the MERA and I, too, saw that every show for every day was sold out for my December cruise.  Perhaps I will try to call.... then again, I might have more self-respect than to put myself through that process.... (anyone who has called an MSC rep who knows less than you do will understand )

On 9/14/2022 at 2:34 PM, JAGR said:

When I tried online, all the options showed as "sold out."  I called MSC, and all were open, so I chose specific days and bought online.  I suspect that computer glitch will keep people from purchasing and should give you an opportunity to buy on board (with the extra 15% service charge).  I would call.

On 9/18/2022 at 6:54 AM, 8420PR said:

It also depends on the ship and region.

For example, on Seaside and Meraviglia class ships there are three sittings - something like 1730, 1930 and 2130.  On Fantasia class ships there are just two sittings - something like 1900 and 2100.  

I think European sailings have later dinner timings than in the Caribbean , as many passengers are used to eating later.  

Annoyingly even though MSC added the third dinner sitting they still only allow the option to request early or late seating.  

Interesting....I can't imagine many people from the USA want to eat at 10pm.  

6 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Not the best place for these questions, however - GF should be noted pre-boarding using the special dietary request form.  Tea bags vary by country of origin of sailing as well as venue (YC has different teas - loose leaf and bagged than the main dining room and buffet) Yes, there is sweet & low and Equal, but no stevia. There are no tea kettles in balcony cabins.  The YC will have nespresso machines.

Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful. The reason I asked about GF is that imho I’ve never had a smooth GF experience, especially in the buffets. For example I’ve been holding cooked eggs on a plate and discovered that the GF toast is on the opposite side of the ship. Each ship has such different procedures that it takes a few days to navigate the procedures. I’ve already noted it in my booking and now it’s just “cross fingers”.

As our voyage approaches I join everyone in hopeful anticipation of another happy Crossing!

Bises,

Susan