Share price

Bin man

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

If they show a further improvement the market will likely assume that Carnival will also have improved.

Maybe. I wouldn't link different cruise lines performance, assuming they will all follow the trend. But what do I know !!?

12 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Maybe. I wouldn't link different cruise lines performance, assuming they will all follow the trend. But what do I know !!?

It may show confidence in the market, however markets are so fickle these days so who knows. Better to spend your money on cruising than investing in stock market

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

It may show confidence in the market, however markets are so fickle these days so who knows. Better to spend your money on cruising than investing in stock market

Except that if you spend it on the markets you don't have to fill in a Health Questionnaire!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

No  different to airlines, house builders, etc. The market forces impact on the whole industry in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess most people would have been following the price over the last month?

I bought my 100 shares just below £11. Unfortunately they fell quite quickly to £5.50. I was weary of the old betting advice of never chasing your losses. At that price however I thought what the heck surely they will go up at some point. The demand seemed strong, pre pandemic performance was strong and the investment needed to buy another 100 was obviously a lot lower.

Took the plunge at £5.50 and bought another 90 shares for £495 - making a total investment of £1600. At 1st they went even lower to around £5.00 so the shares were then only worth about £950 = rubbish investment and the only saving grace was well at least I still had the shares and could get the benefits from future cruises.

To my great surprise they have increased about 60% in just over a month to over £8.00. Sold the 'extra' 90 I bought for about 45% profit on those, but still about £70 short on my overall investment. Was just glad to get a bit back after falling so much but I would imagine some people will have made a fair bit if they bought at the right time.

Anyone else increase their ownership when they 'dipped'. Just fear what might happen at the next business performance announcement - Q4 results?

On 11/2/2022 at 11:56 PM, wowzz said:

No  different to airlines, house builders, etc. The market forces impact on the whole industry in the same way.

If you follow Cruise News Radio then you will see that if one cruiseline share price increases the others do. On their daily broadcast I have not ever seen one go up and the others come down...or visa- versa. They all tend to follow the same pattern.

6 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

If you follow Cruise News Radio then you will see that if one cruiseline share price increases the others do. On their daily broadcast I have not ever seen one go up and the others come down...or visa- versa. They all tend to follow the same pattern.

Was told yesterday by a financial advisor that RCI have now started to post profits.  Hope for us Carnivalleers yet!

22 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Taken on more debt is not a good sign and will spook the markets that is why the shares have dropped like a stone.

Not more debt, just refinancing existing debt.

Over the past week they are still up. What you’ve seen is short term investors taking profit. Up 10%+ in a week was always likely to see that. With refinancing slowing that climb, it’s not a surprise.

3 hours ago, Technoman2 said:

I guess the news of them dropping off 800 asymptomatic passengers in OZ has not helped. 

Didn’t have an impact. News was released on Friday evening about the Majestic Princess and Monday & Tuesday saw significant rises in the share price.

Regarding the Majestic Princess, that’s a strain of Covid doing the rounds in Australia that’s not yet hit Europe.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Not more debt, just refinancing existing debt.

Over the past week they are still up. What you’ve seen is short term investors taking profit. Up 10%+ in a week was always likely to see that. With refinancing slowing that climb, it’s not a surprise.

Forgive my ignorance but down nearly 14% today and if my memory serves me right you have recently said that you expect Carnival shares to drop to around £4 by January - quote "Are we at the bottom? I think that may wait for January depending largely on oil prices. I think we -could hit £4 before we see the turn. My end of 2023 target is £10ps".

Edited by majortom10

21 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Forgive my ignorance but down nearly 14% today and if my memory serves me right you have recently said that you expect Carnival shares to drop to around £4 by January - quote "Are we at the bottom? I think that may wait for January depending largely on oil prices. I think we -could hit £4 before we see the turn. My end of 2023 target is £10ps".

My personal expectation was that the shares could hit as low as £4 by January. I didn't expect the rally that we've had over the past week to Monday. I might revise that slightly given their performance and a better industry performance but still expect the market to react badly to the Q4 result - whatever that is.

My comment that you quoted regarding the debt move this week, was purely commentary on what Carnival have announced. Nobody should use my views as guidance for investing - they are just my views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just brining this topic back up...

With some gloomy economic data over the past week, and with some more to come on Wednesday (inflation) and Thursday (BOE rate rise?), its worth noting that the shares have tracked back 25% from their high of 845p to 633p each.

Whilst I can be an optimist, I don't see much brighter news before February.

42 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

With some gloomy economic data over the past week, and with some more to come on Wednesday (inflation) and Thursday (BOE rate rise?), its worth noting that the shares have tracked back 25% from their high of 845p to 633p each.

I have mentally written my investment (ha ha) in carnival off, just take OBC as it comes. You don't make a loss till you sell it, and they are now not worth selling.

Going to be 10 years before they are worth what they were before covid 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Whilst only needing the 100 shares for the benefit I’ve been buying on the lows and pretty much covered my losses in doing so. When I’m even I’ll bail out all bar the 100 I guess 🤔

On 11/17/2022 at 6:07 PM, molecrochip said:

My personal expectation was that the shares could hit as low as £4 by January. I didn't expect the rally that we've had over the past week to Monday. I might revise that slightly given their performance and a better industry performance but still expect the market to react badly to the Q4 result - whatever that is.

My comment that you quoted regarding the debt move this week, was purely commentary on what Carnival have announced. Nobody should use my views as guidance for investing - they are just my views.

I think you might be right about the reaction to the Q4 results. It's as if the market wants get back on track but there's a lot of negative factors and the financials aren't quite where they need to be. Although the market generally acts together, I see that RC share price is up 35% over the last 6 months, whereas Carnival is down 11%. Hopefully over the longer term Carnival will get there but looks like RC are a couple steps ahead??