Wall Street Sinks Carnival

LocoLoco1

7 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Ballroom dancing. Dance hosts. Poolside bands. Trapshooting off the Aft deck. Lobster meals in MDR. Methinks if you missed it.. you missed it permanently. Guessing everything will be ala carte from now on including chocolate on the pillow and evening turndown towel animals unless you book on a swanky cruiseline. Lets see if I’m wrong…

Bundles and menu pricing are the trend now in many sectors.  I am a fan of menu pricing and no not the eating type of menu, I mean where you pay a base rate than add the features that appeal to you.  Old set rates had all guests paying for all amenities with menu pricing you only pay for the features you are interested in.  As I recall cruises were much more expensive in the 1980s than they are today.  

The current economic situation simply pulled the bandaid off of the wound.  Cruise lines had over reached and had no set course. It was a mad rush to the Caribbean and Mediterranean.  Hopefully they are now charting where they are going.  I hope CCL is actually sitting down segmenting the market among its brands

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Bundles and menu pricing are the trend now in many sectors.  I am a fan of menu pricing and no not the eating type of menu, I mean where you pay a base rate than add the features that appeal to you.  Old set rates had all guests paying for all amenities with menu pricing you only pay for the features you are interested in.  As I recall cruises were much more expensive in the 1980s than they are today.  

The current economic situation simply pulled the bandaid off of the wound.  Cruise lines had over reached and had no set course. It was a mad rush to the Caribbean and Mediterranean.  Hopefully they are now charting where they are going.  I hope CCL is actually sitting down segmenting the market among its brands

I agree with your thoughts. Methinks CCL as a Corp. is now in bare survival mode. Touting a cruise as a $649/pp cruise then getting it to $1649 with upcharges will be the future. Go cheapo or Go luxury?? Seems HAL has went cheapo They’re in a tough spot with their current business model

15 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Ballroom dancing. Dance hosts. Poolside bands. Trapshooting off the Aft deck. Lobster meals in MDR. Methinks if you missed it.. you missed it permanently. Guessing everything will be ala carte from now on including chocolate on the pillow and evening turndown towel animals unless you book on a swanky cruiseline. Lets see if I’m wrong…

Trap shooting went away for the same reason streamers  during sail away did, considered to be an environmental violation.

Cruising is a very price competitive business, with high sunk costs.  The costs to the cruise line is pretty much the same if a cruise is 50% occupied as 100% occupied.   Mainstream lines are all following the same play book.  Choices are becoming pay to go to premium or pay for ship within a ship on main stream, or pay quite a bit less today that 20 years ago per day (adjusted for inflation) for the mass market experience.

When adjusted for inflation  premium lines are just about where mass market lines like HAL and Princess were 20 years ago.  Of course people on those lines are also lamenting that the experience is not what it used to be.

Edited by ldtr

3 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I agree with your thoughts. Methinks CCL as a Corp. is now in bare survival mode. Touting a cruise as a $649/pp cruise then getting it to $1649 with upcharges will be the future. Go cheapo or Go luxury?? Seems HAL has went cheapo They’re in a tough spot with their current business model

They really do not have much choice considering the price sensitive nature of many of their cruisers

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

During the pandemic one  hotel company (MCR hotels, 4th largest in US)   indicated that they were going to start charging for pool and gym access.  Paying for early arrival is pretty common.  Cruise lines have not gone the resort fee route that is common with hotels.

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I’m not sure who dr’spin is. If this post is a joke it sailed way above my head.

For clarity, CCL lost  .14cents today. Opened at $7.27 and closed at $7.13. 

Huh, when my husband (retired family physician) checked our portfolio at 5 Eastern, he said Carnival is up $3. Don't know what he was looking at! I didn't check his math...

18 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Huh, when my husband (retired family physician) checked our portfolio at 5 Eastern, he said Carnival is up $3. Don't know what he was looking at! I didn't check his math...

LOL- well I’m sure he was a better Dr than trader 🙂 

I will be absolutely floored if ccl rises $3 before some sort of major restructuring. It was dangerously close to dipping into the $5 range early this week and that could be the tipping point into the great abyss. 

Notice 52 week high was nearly  a year ago and 52 week low was this week. This stock has lost nearly 80% of its value since cruise resumption.

80C9D8E2-73C1-42F6-9C4A-1995820C074D.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

LOL- well I’m sure he was a better Dr than trader 🙂 

I will be absolutely floored if ccl rises $3 before some sort of major restructuring. It was dangerously close to dipping into the $5 range early this week and that could be the tipping point. 

Oh he definitely was a very good doctor! 

I wondered why no one was talking about this tremendous gain he thought he saw! Maybe it was a different stock and his eyes didn't follow across the screen?!! 

Edited by crystalspin

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Oh he definitely was a very good doctor! 

I wondered why no one was talking about this tremendous gain he thought he saw! Maybe it was a different stock and his eyes didn't follow across the screen?!! 

Yep- A $3.00 gain in one day for CCL would have created a financial news explosion.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

image.thumb.png.071cd20d311bd8fe2f70c5f3a0be91b8.png

lol- ohh..  I understand now, he meant $3 up across all 100 shares (or a .03 cent gain per share).

When “$3 up” is reported, it typically implies a gain in market price (since everyone owns a different amount of shares). 

I’m showing them down .14 cents on the final bell but at least we are all in the same ballpark now 🙂 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:13 PM, crystalspin said:

Dr'spin says CCL is up $3 today! Don't spend it all in one place!

CCL stock closed this past Friday October 14 ,2022 at a whopping  $7.13  up .03cents for the day  . imo buy it  get the OBC credits & sell it  . with this economy & a world that us headed into global Recession ,travel related anything  imo is a bad investment other than the perks  & then get out  ,holding CCL is like gambling   .Personally I am  triple shorting the S&P 500  because I see very very dark clouds for stocks & bonds  .imo best  bet now is own a lot of gold & silver 😁

Edited by mcrcruiser

15 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

CCL stock closed this past Friday October 14 ,2022 at a whopping  $7.13  up .03cents for the day  . imo buy it  get the OBC credits & sell it  . with this economy & a world that us headed into global Recession ,travel related anything  imo is a bad investment other than the perks  & then get out  ,holding CCL is like gambling   .Personally I am  triple shorting the S&P 500  because I see very very dark clouds for stocks & bonds  .imo best  bet now is own a lot of gold & silver 😁

Lets see since March the price of Gold has dropped 19.6%, not much better than the S&P 500's drop of 22.6% during the same time frame.  Difference is even narrower if the S&P dividends during that time are added back end.  Gold is really not a good hedge for inflation when money supply is being tightened.  So far it is pretty much moving with the stock market.  

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Lets see since March the price of Gold has dropped 19.6%, not much better than the S&P 500's drop of 22.6% during the same time frame.  Difference is even narrower if the S&P dividends during that time are added back end.  Gold is really not a good hedge for inflation when money supply is being tightened.  So far it is pretty much moving with the stock market.  

True but this is present tense . I just bought a lot more  US Gold coins  . Try & get them now as most dealers are all sold out  . Those people know that real trouble is brewing with our economy & US dollar having only value based on the GDP which is  now  shrinking .  In notthe too   distant future  a new  currency  backed by precious metals . This had yo come as the debt can  never be paid off  . Also all control  has been by the printing of fiat dollars . Don't  be fooled  by what you see . There is a whole lot going on that is not seen  ,

12 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

True but this is present tense . I just bought a lot more  US Gold coins  . Try & get them now as most dealers are all sold out  . Those people know that real trouble is brewing with our economy & US dollar having only value based on the GDP which is  now  shrinking .  In notthe too   distant future  a new  currency  backed by precious metals . This had yo come as the debt can  never be paid off  . Also all control  has been by the printing of fiat dollars . Don't  be fooled  by what you see . There is a whole lot going on that is not seen  ,

Lets see with gold you pay a fairly hefty fee when you both buy and sell compared to the actual market price of gold. You either have to pay someone a fee to hold it or you have to store it safely yourself, all during which it draws no dividends or interest, unlike many other investments.

During the most recent downturns it has tracked with the stock market and has not ben a good inflation hedge.

Keep drinking the retail gold company kool-aid. They make their money by pushing fears about stock market drops and as a hedge to inflation. Even they do not go as far as trying to claim a new currency backed by precious metals. too funny.  Note how most investors around the world are jumping into the dollar, which if anything is far too strong at the moment.

More likely for something crypto currency based but note haw they have also fallen with the tightening of the money supply. They also have not lived up to claims as far as being a good inflation hedge or a good hedge to the stock market

6 hours ago, ldtr said:

Keep drinking the retail gold company kool-aid.

I kind of agree with you knowing little about the market for metals.  Sounds too good.  

I have an old silver filling that needs to be removed.  I am going to have to pay a HASMAT fee of $75 as part of the procedure's cost.  I wonder if I would ask the dentist to give me the silver that he removes as a "tiny metal investment" rather than paying what, I think, is a fee that is going into someone's pocket.  

Debt service will KEEP the Carnival suits in handcuffs for a very very VERY long time. ‘Morning Call’ guest from JP Morgan said recently, “Stick with Co’s with lotsa cash on the books going into 2023, to do otherwise seems foolish.’