Is this normal? Celebrity excursion price increase

Ekelley8804

Hi all,

This is our first sailing with Celebrity on the Summit in December. I noticed that they are offering an excursion in Miami to go to the Everglades, take an airboat ride, and walk around the park for a bit before they drop you off at MIA or FLL to catch your flight. I haven’t booked our flights yet, as I am tracking them on Hopper. I wanted to book this excursion after I booked my flight so I knew I would be able to make it. The price of course said it was a certain percentage off of the onboard price. But I just noticed it went up almost $20/person from when I checked a few days ago. Is this normal? I would’ve assumed the price ahead would’ve stayed the same and the price onboard might be different but also stay the same unless they were desperately trying to fill spots at the last minute. Can anyone speak to this? Will the price go back down or did I miss out? It felt like a decent deal before, and we have 5 in our group so that adds another $100 onto our bill that we could’ve spent onboard

I have noticed that some of my excursions on my Eclipse Hawaii to Vancouver in April have gone up in the time I have been considering excursions.  I was a bit surprised because I didn't think excursion prices changed but to be honest, I may just not have noticed it before.  On previous cruises, we booked our excursions and then didn't go back to re-check prices.  I only noticed it this time because excursions have been so slow to release (so I'm constantly checking to see if there are more) and there are a lot of moving parts for this trip that are taking longer to come together.

25 minutes ago, Ekelley8804 said:

Hi all,

This is our first sailing with Celebrity on the Summit in December. I noticed that they are offering an excursion in Miami to go to the Everglades, take an airboat ride, and walk around the park for a bit before they drop you off at MIA or FLL to catch your flight. I haven’t booked our flights yet, as I am tracking them on Hopper. I wanted to book this excursion after I booked my flight so I knew I would be able to make it. The price of course said it was a certain percentage off of the onboard price. But I just noticed it went up almost $20/person from when I checked a few days ago. Is this normal? I would’ve assumed the price ahead would’ve stayed the same and the price onboard might be different but also stay the same unless they were desperately trying to fill spots at the last minute. Can anyone speak to this? Will the price go back down or did I miss out? It felt like a decent deal before, and we have 5 in our group so that adds another $100 onto our bill that we could’ve spent onboard

Yes, discounts can and do change.  If you see a price you like, book it. IF it goes down, just cancel and rebook..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ekelley8804 said:

Hi all,

We just booked the Everglades tour a week ago at £55/person, today it’s £77, that’s some rise in a week!

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Yes, discounts can and do change.  If you see a price you like, book it. IF it goes down, just cancel and rebook..

Fully agree with this.  I've seen prices go up as space decreases for all my cruises (similar to ship cabins and hotel rooms).  The only way to protect yourself is to book it--they're fully refundable upon cancellation as long as it's 1-2days before the excursion. 

2 hours ago, Rustyman said:

We just booked the Everglades tour a week ago at £55/person, today it’s £77, that’s some rise in a week!

It may also have something to do with the exchange rate.  Our OBC goes up as we booked in Canadian but so do the excursions.  So this is most likely the issue as Celebrity changes the rate as is fluctuates.

snow bunny

17 minutes ago, snow bunny said:

It may also have something to do with the exchange rate.  Our OBC goes up as we booked in Canadian but so do the excursions.  So this is most likely the issue as Celebrity changes the rate as is fluctuates.

snow bunny

The pound fell but has risen again, even so it is only a small %age.

I cancelled and rebooked some excursions x3 before we went on our Mediterranean cruise in July, due to drops in prices.

One was a Hop on Hop off bus, where the price was considerably lower, but the tour was sold out.

So I cancelled, it became immediately available to book, so I rebooked it.

8 hours ago, Rustyman said:

This may be due to exchange rate.  However, prices are always subject to change.  I don't think Celebrity changes as often as Royal (Royal prices tend to vary a lot more)

22 hours ago, Rustyman said:

This is definitely the same one I saw. Disappointing 😕 hoping it goes back down but not counting on it.

27 minutes ago, Ekelley8804 said:

This is definitely the same one I saw. Disappointing 😕 hoping it goes back down but not counting on it.

You still have time. We monitor our excursion rates due to the changes, both up and down. 

This thread made me check our booked excursion for our upcoming cruise. I was surprised to see that the one we booked for $56pp was now $72pp! Glad I booked when I did.  I also noticed that an excursion that had been sold out for a while was now available to book, at the same price as before.  So it pays to keep checking...