Lost drivers license

Dwright826

What ended up happening with your cruise fare, etc?  Was Carnival sympathetic and refunded your fare? (your taxes, tips if you pre-paid, excursions etc. will be refunded no problem.). I am surprised there were no cameras around that may have caught something.  I have heard of bad luck, but you are at the top of the bad luck list.

Supervisors have a bit of leeway when approving some travel documents.  The OP mentioned that among some of his proof of ID he had a picture of his photo ID on his phone.  That, along with everything else he had with his name, birthdate and birth certificate most likely would have been enough to get him onboard.

At Pier 91 this past season there was a family that also lost/misplaced a billfold that had all the family member's birth certificates - some where between home/hotel and the cruise terminal.  So sad, but they also didn't end up sailing.

7 hours ago, Dwright826 said:

Hey every one. I'm really sorry that I never updated you on this situation. When it rains it pours. It was the perfect storm. So Monday morning I got my DMV appointment and was first in line the moment it opened. My number was a001. There was hope. They told me temp d.l. do not have a picture but the MOTORCYCLE PERMIT DOES! Luckily I actually had this permit a few years back so all I had to do was redo it. Took all of 5 minutes. When they gave it to me, the dang picture had a water mark on it saying this document cannot be used as a form of identification. Crap. I was still going to give it a shot but wanted a back up. That's when I remember that I got a real id in Georgia a long time ago that doesn't expire until 2025. Little bit of google-foo and I Google was saying the Georgia was the first of a couple states to do virtual IDs. SCORE....or so I thought. So apple wallet has not started using virtual IDs yet. BUT Georgia has a dds app that has something similar. But without a picture. I was hoping that I would be able to use everything I've collected, along with a picture of my id I found on my phone. My hopes were pretty high. I told the kids I think I figured it out and we were on our way to long Beach by 10. This is where it gets good. ALL of our boarding passes, birth certificates, my phone, etc. We're in the bottom of my son's stroller. At some point while we were all going to the bathroom before heading into the terminal, I'm assuming my back or my wife's back was turned and someone snagged all the stuff from the bottom of the stroller. All hopes and dreams went straight out the window. Without all that and everything on my phone, there was no hope. I just got my phone replaced and am just now wanting to talk about what happened. It was a shot to the gut but a lesson learned. Thank you all for your help and advice. 😇

Didn't see that coming.  That just sucks

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 5:27 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

I would still to to check-in and present your situation, a police report, and whatever ID you have showing your name and photo; i.e., work ID, Costco ID, expired driver's license or passport.  The folks at the pier want to help you.  If they can make it work, they will help you.

You have nothing to lose by trying.

Costco must be well respected at the port.  About ten years ago we took the train up to New York for a cruise to Canada.  I got a drink on the train and left my DL on the bar (I was carded for the drink).  I got to the port the next morning and realized I did not have my DL.  The people at the port were great and basically were like give us anything, we just want to get you on the cruise.  I had my costco card and they said good enough.  When we got home my DL had been mailed back to my house, I guess by Amtrak.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gregoryfo said:

Costco must be well respected at the port.  About ten years ago we took the train up to New York for a cruise to Canada.  I got a drink on the train and left my DL on the bar (I was carded for the drink).  I got to the port the next morning and realized I did not have my DL.  The people at the port were great and basically were like give us anything, we just want to get you on the cruise.  I had my costco card and they said good enough.  When we got home my DL had been mailed back to my house, I guess by Amtrak.  

👍 for both getting on the cruise and getting your license mailed back.

I once physically lost mine in Key West. (They had said to take ID off the ship.) They did let me back on, after all I did have my cruise card with the embedded picture.) My license later did show up in the mail, though before that I paid Motor Vehicle to get a replacement.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 2:32 PM, ColeThornton said:

And then when you get back from your cruise make sure you get a secondary form of I.D. that you DON'T keep in your wallet.   🙂

Hope it works out well for you.

Most states won't let you have 2 different government ID cards....  I know in Ohio you can either have a state ID or drivers license, not both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

Most states won't let you have 2 different government ID cards....  I know in Ohio you can either have a state ID or drivers license, not both.

Same in Vermont. While having a backup ID is a great idea many can't have one, short of getting a passport or passport card and if they've decided to cruise without a passport it wouldn't make sense to get a passport just to have it as back up. The lucky folks are those that work for a government entity that issues a photo ID because that can be used as backup. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dwright826 said:

Hey every one. I'm really sorry that I never updated you on this situation. When it rains it pours. It was the perfect storm. So Monday morning I got my DMV appointment and was first in line the moment it opened. My number was a001. There was hope. They told me temp d.l. do not have a picture but the MOTORCYCLE PERMIT DOES! Luckily I actually had this permit a few years back so all I had to do was redo it. Took all of 5 minutes. When they gave it to me, the dang picture had a water mark on it saying this document cannot be used as a form of identification. Crap. I was still going to give it a shot but wanted a back up. That's when I remember that I got a real id in Georgia a long time ago that doesn't expire until 2025. Little bit of google-foo and I Google was saying the Georgia was the first of a couple states to do virtual IDs. SCORE....or so I thought. So apple wallet has not started using virtual IDs yet. BUT Georgia has a dds app that has something similar. But without a picture. I was hoping that I would be able to use everything I've collected, along with a picture of my id I found on my phone. My hopes were pretty high. I told the kids I think I figured it out and we were on our way to long Beach by 10. This is where it gets good. ALL of our boarding passes, birth certificates, my phone, etc. We're in the bottom of my son's stroller. At some point while we were all going to the bathroom before heading into the terminal, I'm assuming my back or my wife's back was turned and someone snagged all the stuff from the bottom of the stroller. All hopes and dreams went straight out the window. Without all that and everything on my phone, there was no hope. I just got my phone replaced and am just now wanting to talk about what happened. It was a shot to the gut but a lesson learned. Thank you all for your help and advice. 😇

Oh no... From bad to worse. 😞😢 I'm sorry to hear you didn't get to make it. I hope Carnival was sympathetic to your situation, even if they don't have to be. FCC or something to ease the pain would be nice. At least you and your family were safe after two robberies.