Tips increasing

MarinerAlex

3 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

$47 a day Canadian in tips definitely puts a check mark in the land trip column vs cruise in areas without a tipping culture.  

You realize the Land trip column has all of the fuel/food/hotel/guide price increases???  Tips or lack of them kind of get lost in all of it doesnt it? 

Den

7 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

You realize the Land trip column has all of the fuel/food/hotel/guide price increases???  Tips or lack of them kind of get lost in all of it doesnt it? 

Den

I got back 2 days ago from a month in Hawaii. I’m very well informed as to land trip vs cruise. 

8 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

I got back 2 days ago from a month in Hawaii. I’m very well informed as to land trip vs cruise. 

Good…and you think a $2/day increase in a cruise gratuity impacts deciding between land and cruise vacations??? OK.

Personally, I think what I want to do/see on vacation is the decider. Price? Sure. But this subject???

I mix cruises with ‘land’ vacationing as do many….I’m retired so I can do that. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

9 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Not bickering but I also just went to Maui in June and I can assure you grats on a cruise at $47 a day is pennies compared to the tips I paid for dinners on land. 

Hope you had a great trip! Sadly, to us it was obvious the islands took a hard hit compared to our previous trips.

Aloha Patty 

Edited by cw2go

Just now, cw2go said:

Not bickering but I also just went to Maui in June and I can assure you grats on a cruise at $47 a days are pennies compared to the tips I paid for dinners on land. 

Hope you had a great trip! Sadly, to us it was obvious the islands took a hard hit compared to our previous trips.

Aloha Patty 

We had a condo with full kitchen and BBQ. We had some lunches out but not many dinners. Preferred our deck and selection of wine. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cruise Junky said:

We had a condo with full kitchen and BBQ. We had some lunches out but not many dinners. Preferred our deck and selection of wine. 

I get it! We stayed in a condo in Wailea but still had a dinner at Mama's and Fleetwoods so you can imagine the cost. 🤑

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Good…and you think a $2/day increase in a cruise gratuity impacts deciding between land and cruise vacations??? OK.

Personally, I think what I want to do/see on vacation is the decider. Price? Sure. But this subject???

I mix cruises with ‘land’ vacationing as do many….I’m retired so I can do that. 

Den

I said it puts a check mark in the land trip, not it was a deciding factor. We’re looking at an extended Australia/New Zealand trip.  Cruises don’t make sense because everything is priced in US $ where a land trip would be in AU and NZ$  at a much better rate with the Canadian dollar.   There are lots of deciding factors and $47 in tips a day is one of them. 

3 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

I cannot find anywhere on my reservation where I can prepay. I used the link and I looked under reservation details and see no place to prepay. Can anyone help me out. I would like to use OBC for this. Is that possible.

Did you book through a TA?  If so, you probably have to pay them through your TA.  By the way, I do not believe you can use OBC on gratuities ahead of time.

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I dont ask people what the get paid; I dont ask people what other compensation their company provides them…..its None of My Business. And has No impact on whether I think of some raise in gratuities or my extra tipping. Would you actually not tip or provide a staff person less because they make more than another staff person because of their seniority or such?

Whats the point of this discussion on how much the staff gets. Its so general, it isnt of any worth. One one cruise, we had a waiter who had been a lead Matre de but came on this ship as a waiter because he had more flexibility of which which ship he could contract on and therefore which itinerary (this was on a ship working the Med and the Black Sea and he was from Turkey). His choice, but you’d assume he made less than what he did prior, but with his experience, more than the other waiters. Should I have given him a less extra tip because I Assume he made more than the others?? Or more because he wasnt making as much as he did prior? None Of My Business. 

If someone agrees to a contract, they so it because I assume it meets what they and their family need. Again, None of My Business.

I will continue to tip extra as I think best; I will respect those that provide me personal services and treat them as the professional they are…..which has Nothing to do with what they are paid and I would Never ask or try to Google or whatever. 

Just me a guess. Enough.

Den

Very rare I agree with you den (sorry) but I do this one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hcat said:

X should raise staff salaries, spend more money to train staff .....and  cease lowering quality of food, and  items at Baccio etc. 

And increase fares to cover their increased costs, you ok with that?

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

Whining about a $2-3 dollar a day increase…what a crazy world. 

Not a world, a tiny proportion of people who have sailed celebrity. The vast majority are smarter than us and don’t post here 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Not a world, a tiny proportion of people who have sailed celebrity. The vast majority are smarter than us and don’t post here 🤣🤣🤣

Could be….I’m quickly bored by minor complaints turned major by a few. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

10 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

And increase fares to cover their increased costs, you ok with that?

I think the point is that fares have already increased to cover increased costs, but there is a perception that higher fares aren't maintaining the same level of quality. I haven't cruised since 2019 (looking forward to sailing next month) so I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that perception but asking people to spend considerably more on their fare and also to directly subsidize salaries on the ship at a higher level is going to rub some people the wrong way, no matter how small the absolute increase.

Even with prepaid grats I find tipping expectations on a ship confusing and stressful, so I wish they'd truly roll it up in fares and eliminate the practice altogether. 

3 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

I think the point is that fares have already increased to cover increased costs, but there is a perception that higher fares aren't maintaining the same level of quality. I haven't cruised since 2019 (looking forward to sailing next month) so I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that perception but asking people to spend considerably more on their fare and also to directly subsidize salaries on the ship at a higher level is going to rub some people the wrong way, no matter how small the absolute increase.

Even with prepaid grats I find tipping expectations on a ship confusing and stressful, so I wish they'd truly roll it up in fares and eliminate the practice altogether. 

Don’t disagree. We have only cruised 4 times, twice in 2019 and twice this year. We feel we have had full value for money every time and in our subjective view, quality hasn’t reduced. Our first cruise in 2019 can never ever be beaten but the two this year were top class and looking forward to next years already. I think seasoned cruisers see a difference which I get.

3 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

Haven’t they tried to eliminate it by including auto tips? But some people still tip extra which I think is the confusing part especially for us who don’t come from a tipping culture. 

In Leeds we have a culture of trying to under pay 👍

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

Haven’t they tried to eliminate it by including auto tips? But some people still tip extra which I think is the confusing part especially for us who don’t come from a tipping culture. 

This is exactly why I find it confusing and stressful . . . and I am American! If tips are automatically charged, but people are still broadly tipping over and above, then are auto grats adequate? I hate to undertip and seem cheap, but also, if something is included then it should just be included IMO. 

We sailed once on Silversea, which doesn't do auto tips but covers tips in the fare. Then if you want to do something extra, you give to a general crew fund, which seems to me more civilized. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

I don't find it stressful at all for Celebrity to tell me how much my tips should be.

Regarding the previous post (which posted as I was typing), the auto gratuities are fine. Don't let keyboard tippers guide your thinking.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

That's sounds like being at home with a different view to look at. You do the cooking,cleaning and serve all the meals .  I tried it once many years ago and decided I would pay someone else to do those things for us. But everyone has choices but its not ours anymore.

Edited by weregoingcruising
spelling
  • Like 2