Noordam, Covid

DrTee

Just back from the Noordam 14-day Alaska cruise. A few days ago the captain announced that there had been a significant increase in the number of confirmed Covid cases on board and encouraged us to wear masks.  I saw a little bit better compliance after that, but there were still people coughing freely. I was particularly vexed by the manager of the Lido who continued to wear his mask under his nose. Anyway, the reason I’m posting is I’m curious if there’s any way to find out how many cases we had. I was fortunate to escape it.   I’m immune suppressed so particularly vigilant.  

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

Well with the Noordam leaving for 69 days this Saturday from San Diego for a transpacific cruise and a circumnavigation of Australia let's hope the crew Covid numbers are under control.

The crew did seem a little sparse at the end.

@DrTee

On the CDC’s website under “Cruise Ship Travel” they have this FAQ:

“Q: How can travelers find out about COVID-19 outbreaks on cruise ships?

A: Cruise travelers have the option of contacting their cruise line directly regarding outbreaks occurring on board their ship.“

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html

I’ve yet to hear of anyone who’s been able to get an answer from the cruise line directly. I do wish the info was still available to the public now that there’s fewer protocols.

You might try searching social media; sometimes there are groups that discuss conditions on a particular sailing.

Glad you remained healthy! All the Best!

On 10/3/2022 at 2:07 PM, DrTee said:

Just back from the Noordam 14-day Alaska cruise. A few days ago the captain announced that there had been a significant increase in the number of confirmed Covid cases on board and encouraged us to wear masks.  I saw a little bit better compliance after that, but there were still people coughing freely. I was particularly vexed by the manager of the Lido who continued to wear his mask under his nose. Anyway, the reason I’m posting is I’m curious if there’s any way to find out how many cases we had. I was fortunate to escape it.   I’m immune suppressed so particularly vigilant.  

This was very interesting: we got back from a 7 day Noordam Alaska cruise that ended on Sept 11. We didn't hear of any reported cases, and almost all passengers were wearing masks on board! I wonder if we just didn't hear, or if there was a big outbreak later. Of course, during meals no one was wearing masks, and everyone is pretty close at those times.

9 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

This was very interesting: we got back from a 7 day Noordam Alaska cruise that ended on Sept 11. We didn't hear of any reported cases, and almost all passengers were wearing masks on board! I wonder if we just didn't hear, or if there was a big outbreak later. Of course, during meals no one was wearing masks, and everyone is pretty close at those times.

Cases seemed low for that northbound cruise and the southbound.  Some waiters and one of the DR door girls were in isolation for a week starting late in the southbound.  Captain noted on the 14 day cruise around Sept 25 that cases were rising so wearing masks was advisable. No big outbreak, but certainly some pax and crew were infected.  Coughing was ongoing, not bad but did pick up so you could tell things were changing.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 2:42 PM, Destiny0315 said:

Well with the Noordam leaving for 69 days this Saturday from San Diego for a transpacific cruise and a circumnavigation of Australia let's hope the crew Covid numbers are under control.

The crew did seem a little sparse at the end.

There are quite a few reporting testing positive upon our October 2 return (on roll call).

My friend and I still negative.   

On 10/6/2022 at 1:55 PM, bennybear said:

Just read on one of the other threads that they are testing all new passengers 5 days after they were tested or embarkation in San Diego.  

Just on Noordam? 

• 1 month later...

We boarded Noordam Oct 3 in Victoria BC. We disembark Dec 17 in Sydney NSW.  Everyone on board tested around Oct 12, a few days after San Diego.  Cases so low that Captain removed mask mandate.  Tested again on Nov 15, a few days after Sydney. Cases still low but mask mandate in place “out of abundance of caution” (read response to Majestic Princess media frenzy).  

Most people behaving responsibly. 

• Thanks 4

On 10/3/2022 at 3:07 PM, DrTee said:

We are currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I am sick, called medical. They tested both my husband and myself. I am negative, my husband with no symptoms is positive. I have been released to walk around the ship. How is that safe? There are so many sick people on this ship! I’m sure they are walking around with Covid, rather than telling medical and getting put in isolation. 

We had a choice, send my husband to an isolation cabin. Or I stay in our nice balcony cabin with him and get tested every two days. Honestly, this is no vacation…thanks to those walking around sick, rather than notifying medical. 

On a side note, Holland America is reimbursing us for days in isolation. Now that I have been released to spread his Covid germs, I suppose I am not getting the FCC. If that turns out to be true, I will not be happy. This is not a vacation.

Since they no longer require crew and passenger testing, I don’t feel safe. I rather doubt we will be cruising again anytime soon.

12 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

We are currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I am sick, called medical. They tested both my husband and myself. I am negative, my husband with no symptoms is positive. I have been released to walk around the ship. How is that safe? There are so many sick people on this ship! I’m sure they are walking around with Covid, rather than telling medical and getting put in isolation. 

We had a choice, send my husband to an isolation cabin. Or I stay in our nice balcony cabin with him and get tested every two days. Honestly, this is no vacation…thanks to those walking around sick, rather than notifying medical. 

On a side note, Holland America is reimbursing us for days in isolation. Now that I have been released to spread his Covid germs, I suppose I am not getting the FCC. If that turns out to be true, I will not be happy. This is not a vacation.

Since they no longer require crew and passenger testing, I don’t feel safe. I rather doubt we will be cruising again anytime soon.

Hi  birdie  we are 83 each & have B2B  ,a total of  12 days on koningsdam  starting  Dec   10, 2022   out of SD  .  We have  had tha J&J  one shot & we  both had omnicron  about one uear ago late lasr Dec  so we have some add]l immunity  . Was your cruise in  a colder climate  & perhaps that could cause more spread  or was it colder & more people coughing  ?

We have & would wear out KN95 masks while indoors  .

Thanks in advance for your reply  

21 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

There are so many sick people on this ship! I’m sure they are walking around with Covid, rather than telling medical and getting put in isolation. 

There are probably just as many with no symptoms walking around spreading it too.

5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Hi  birdie  we are 83 each & have B2B  ,a total of  12 days on koningsdam  starting  Dec   10, 2022   out of SD  .  We have  had tha J&J  one shot & we  both had omnicron  about one uear ago late lasr Dec  so we have some add]l immunity  . Was your cruise in  a colder climate  & perhaps that could cause more spread  or was it colder & more people coughing  ?

We have & would wear out KN95 masks while indoors  .

Thanks in advance for your reply  

We both had the Moderna with boosters. No, it is not cold. We are in the Caribbean on a 14 night. There have been only a handful of people wearing masks.

Make sure you buy travel insurance and at least have a balcony in case you go into isolation. Personally, I would wait. The medical person that took our test said now that people don’t have to test to get on the ship, they have seen more cases. I think the biggest problem is people are not telling medical they are sick because they don’t wish to ruin their vacation. My husband is positive and didn’t even have symptoms, just a little runny nose and occasional cough. 

Bring your own test kits along with you. Since the cruise line doesn't test after the isolation, I would do my own testing  to make sure I am really over it.

Also if there seems to be lots of coughing happening on the ship , but I have no symptoms, I will test ourselves to make  sure we aren't asymptomatic.

We have had all the shots including the latest one.

My husband got really sick a couple of days after getting home from a Princess ship last April.

Several people from our Roll Call reported the same thing. Tested negative for Covid but whatever he got became pneumonia.He was very sick for three weeks and still weak  for another three weeks.

He wore a mask everywhere except when eating in dining room.

2 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Bring your own test kits along with you. Since the cruise line doesn't test after the isolation, I would do my own testing  to make sure I am really over it.

Also if there seems to be lots of coughing happening on the ship , but I have no symptoms, I will test ourselves to make  sure we aren't asymptomatic.

We have had all the shots including the latest one.

My husband got really sick a couple of days after getting home from a Princess ship last April.

Several people from our Roll Call reported the same thing. Tested negative for Covid but whatever he got became pneumonia.He was very sick for three weeks and still weak  for another three weeks.

He wore a mask everywhere except when eating in dining room.

I’m so sorry. Your suggestion to bring your own test kit is a good one.