Bagels

rkacruiser

An odd topic, I know.  But, I am curious.  My grocery shopper bought a bag of Thomas' Blueberry Bagels for me that I did not request.  (I wanted their Blueberry English Muffins.)  I have never cared for other bagels that I have eaten, but, these are good.  I am buttering them after toasting them.  (Trying to discover the proper setting on my toaster for the desired "doneness" of them.)

Many use cream cheese as a spread.  Why? What does this add to the bagel that butter does not?  Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.  Thank you.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

An odd topic, I know.  But, I am curious.  My grocery shopper bought a bag of Thomas' Blueberry Bagels for me that I did not request.  (I wanted their Blueberry English Muffins.)  I have never cared for other bagels that I have eaten, but, these are good.  I am buttering them after toasting them.  (Trying to discover the proper setting on my toaster for the desired "doneness" of them.)

Many use cream cheese as a spread.  Why? What does this add to the bagel that butter does not?  Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.  Thank you.  

Cream Cheese gots with Jellies or Jam.

Had QM2 bagel with smoked salmon this morning equally as good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Cream cheese on your bagel is wonderful.  Unfortunately your heart doctor will wince.  You might want to try my method for toasting bagels, bread, English muffins, etc.  heat up a fry pan and place your bagel with the back side down.  Put another pan on top to weight it down.  Warm up the bagel then remove.  Place two pats of butter in the pan a swish around until pan is coated.  Place bagels cut side down and rotate in the pan to absorb the butter.  Place a pan on top again and grill the bagels until you achieve the desired result.  This is probably the healthiest way of getting a properly toasted bagel while limiting the amount of butter used.  

• Thanks 2

A topic near and dear to my stomach.  As an ex NYC Jew, I was raised on New York bagels (the best on earth) and even though we no longer live in NYC, DW and I generally start every day with a bagel.  DW puts butter on her bagel (this would be considered a crime in NYC) and I use cream cheese (and also like lox).  

But at the risk of starting a controversy, those "things" sold under the "Thomas" brand are shaped like a bagel but would not be considered a real bagel by most bagel lovers.  When you live in NYC, bagels are considered serious business and folks often head to their usual bagel factory or neighborhood deli (who gets their bagels from a bagel factory on a daily basis).  It has long been argued (among bagel lovers) that NYC bagels cannot be duplicated because they can only be made with NYC water!  One of the best (and largest) bagel factories (H & H Bagels) was actually located within walking distance of the Manhattan cruise ship terminal, but alas, that place was closed a few years ago (H& H are now made elsewhere in the city).

Just a note that a real bagel is actually made by a two step cooking process in that they are first boiled (in a large vat) and then baked in an oven!  Sadly, we have never had a good bagel on any cruise line (we have tried them on 16 lines).  

So now you have all you the information you never wanted to know about bagels.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But at the risk of starting a controversy, those "things" sold under the "Thomas" brand are shaped like a bagel but would not be considered a real bagel by most bagel lovers

No controversy will be coming from me because I have little knowledge about bagels.  (My Principal called them "stale donuts" that have a hole.  And, that had been my experience as well until this batch that purchased in error for me.  Plus, without a "bagel cutter device", it seems to me that one risks injury in preparing one's breakfast by having to cut them.)  

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a note that a real bagel is actually made by a two step cooking process in that they are first boiled (in a large vat) and then baked in an oven

I have heard that.  Doubtful that Thomas' bakery does that, but,....?  The label on the outside of the package says "crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside".  And they are.  I do like them; something different from my usual breakfast toast or English Muffins.  

8 hours ago, RW75 said:

Now I want blueberry bagels.  

There is a cinnamon raisin variety available--at times--as well.  

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

DW puts butter on her bagel (this would be considered a crime in NYC)

Glad to know that I am not alone.  But, I will be careful not to do so if I order one in NYC.  😀

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Thanks for adding to an interesting discussion, Hank.  

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

A topic near and dear to my stomach.  As an ex NYC Jew, I was raised on New York bagels (the best on earth) and even though we no longer live in NYC, DW and I generally start every day with a bagel.  DW puts butter on her bagel (this would be considered a crime in NYC) and I use cream cheese (and also like lox).  

But at the risk of starting a controversy, those "things" sold under the "Thomas" brand are shaped like a bagel but would not be considered a real bagel by most bagel lovers.  When you live in NYC, bagels are considered serious business and folks often head to their usual bagel factory or neighborhood deli (who gets their bagels from a bagel factory on a daily basis).  It has long been argued (among bagel lovers) that NYC bagels cannot be duplicated because they can only be made with NYC water!  One of the best (and largest) bagel factories (H & H Bagels) was actually located within walking distance of the Manhattan cruise ship terminal, but alas, that place was closed a few years ago (H& H are now made elsewhere in the city).

Just a note that a real bagel is actually made by a two step cooking process in that they are first boiled (in a large vat) and then baked in an oven!  Sadly, we have never had a good bagel on any cruise line (we have tried them on 16 lines).  

Hank

Mazel tov in trying to find a good bagel at sea Hank.  Croissants yes…bagels no. There is nothing like a great NY bagel.  However…we do have some excellent bagel bakeries around here…metro Boston.  We have one bakery here in Somerville that is really good.  The young lady who runs it dropped out of the corporate world to bake these gems.  We also had an Egyptian family nearby who makes an excellent bagel…the old fashioned way…boiled and then baked.  Finding good lox…not so easy.  

• Thanks 1

Finding a half decent bagel outside London seems impossible in the UK.  
A few months ago I was chatting to a Jewish couple on a flight as I had ordered a Kosher meal and they hadn’t. Missed the window of booking opportunity. I happily swapped as the conversation began on the ground.  I learned long ago Kosher is always good airline catering.  The lady wrote me a list of places in Manchester to find a good bagel. 
My partner would bring back bagels from New York every couple of weeks, from a bakery somewhere around E55th I believe. They never dried out on the aircraft and were always delicious.  Has to be full fat cream cheese for me. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Salt, pepper, garlic, poppy seed, etc. 

Thanks.  I am going to try Thomas' non-flavored Bagels in the near future and see if I like them.  Probably best to continue to butter them and not buy a container of Cream Cheese that may not be totally used.  

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

On our recent cruises we've seen beautiful lox, with cream cheese, capers, and onions; but having tried ship bagels a few times, I keep passing them up.

Bad bagels?  Try grilled rye bread…makes an excellent base for lox and cream cheese, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks.  I am going to try Thomas' non-flavored Bagels in the near future and see if I like them.  Probably best to continue to butter them and not buy a container of Cream Cheese that may not be totally used.  

Never a problem. Buy more bagels!

Im assuming lox is exactly the same as gravadlax?  Always made that assumption. Cured in salt, sugar and herbs? 

37 minutes ago, RW75 said:

Never a problem. Buy more bagels!

Im assuming lox is exactly the same as gravadlax?  Always made that assumption. Cured in salt, sugar and herbs? 

Lox is/are smoked salmon.  Gravalax are cured salmon as you describe.  With lox you will taste a slight bit of smoke.  With gravalax you will taste the herbs and slightly sweet flavor.  Either way is good especially with bagels or grilled rye bread and cream cheese.  One of my favorites is grilled dark rye in butter with a mix of sour cream and cream cheese, lox and salmon eggs with a touch of fresh dill on top.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing beats bagels & lox. 😋 We would have them for every New Years breakfast in my house growing up courtesy of my father (born in NYC, Jewish father). It's my go-to for bagel eating when on a cruise. 

At home, since where I live has no good local bagels, I do Thomas. I put Country Crock's plant-based olive oil spread on, just a little, and under the broiler for about 5 minutes, then add cream cheese (smoked salmon flavor of course). 

I'd highly recommend trying bagels as a grilled cheese bread, too. Similar instructions to what was posted above about buttering the pan, but here's my recipe:

Butter in the pan and melted, put the cut-side down and let it sizzle until crisp and golden.

Flip on over and add cheese, then top with the other cut side immediately.

Let it brown on the outside, flipping as needed and until the cheese melts.

Then enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserLucas said:

Nothing beats bagels & lox. 😋 We would have them for every New Years breakfast in my house growing up courtesy of my father (born in NYC, Jewish father). It's my go-to for bagel eating when on a cruise. 

At home, since where I live has no good local bagels, I do Thomas. I put Country Crock's plant-based olive oil spread on, just a little, and under the broiler for about 5 minutes, then add cream cheese (smoked salmon flavor of course). 

I'd highly recommend trying bagels as a grilled cheese bread, too. Similar instructions to what was posted above about buttering the pan, but here's my recipe:

Butter in the pan and melted, put the cut-side down and let it sizzle until crisp and golden.

Flip on over and add cheese, then top with the other cut side immediately.

Let it brown on the outside, flipping as needed and until the cheese melts.

Then enjoy!

Interesting and thanks for making a contribution to our discussion!

Are Bagels and Lox a New Year's breakfast tradition for families of the Jewish faith?  

Smoked Salmon flavor of Cream Cheese?  Never knew such existed.  

Question about your Grilled Cheese Sandwich use for a bagel.  Doesn't the melting of the cheese through the bagel's hole make a mess in the skillet?  I love a Grilled Swiss Cheese on Rye Bread (light or dark) Sandwich!  

I'd be interested in a comparison of Thomas' bagels and Panera bagels (esp when double-toasted, and eaten in-store with cream cheese).  It hadn't occurred to me to think of Thomas', although I like their English muffins.

I spent a year in a Jewish dorm, and a few years in a Jewish neighborhood with a wonderful bagel bakery.  Now I haven't had a bagel for years, thinking I probably wouldn't enjoy them.  Panera's is the closest I've come.

What do you think?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Panera's is the closest I've come.

What do you think?

What I have purchased from Panera has been very good.  

55 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

(esp when double-toasted,

Why do this?  I had difficulty finding the setting on my toaster that suits toasting a bagel.  The setting that I first used for English Muffins produced a too well done product.  I changed it for a lighter setting; not toasted enough.  The setting that I have found is just a bit less than I use for toasting bread. 

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Interesting and thanks for making a contribution to our discussion!

Are Bagels and Lox a New Year's breakfast tradition for families of the Jewish faith?  

Smoked Salmon flavor of Cream Cheese?  Never knew such existed.  

Question about your Grilled Cheese Sandwich use for a bagel.  Doesn't the melting of the cheese through the bagel's hole make a mess in the skillet?  I love a Grilled Swiss Cheese on Rye Bread (light or dark) Sandwich!  

I don’t know if it’s a Jewish thing for bagels & lox on New Years, but I assume our family tradition of eating lots of bagels stemmed from my grandfather’s Jewish heritage. Funnily, though, he converted to Catholic when he married his Italian wife… lol

I get my smoked salmon cream cheese from Philadelphia brand. It’s just in a small tub  and I’ve seen it at most stores in the cream cheese section.

And no issues with a mess yet for the cheese coming through the bagel hole. Doesn’t tend to get out by the time it has started to melt and it’s then ready to remove from the pan. I use non-stick skillets, too, so it cleans up easily enough and with the grease from the butter.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

I get my smoked salmon cream cheese from Philadelphia brand. It’s just in a small tub

Thanks for your response.  I will look for this.  I like smoked salmon.  My breakfasts need some variety!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your response.  I will look for this.  I like smoked salmon.  My breakfasts need some variety!  

? ? ?

Salmon mixed in cream cheese No! Smear of CC with Salmon RIGHT!

• Thanks 1

RK, You asked why double-toasted at Panera's.  I think we learned to ask for that because they are so fresh (straight from the back room bakery) that if untoasted, or toasted once, they still felt doughy.  We like a bit of crispness, I guess.

We also double toast our English muffins, at home.

But on the other hand, when I tried making a BLT for myself, at breakfast, on our recent cruise, I found the toast a bit too dry, but perhaps it was sitting out too long.

So many fine points!

• Like 1