Bagels

rkacruiser

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2022 at 9:33 AM, Hlitner said:

Sadly, we have never had a good bagel on any cruise line (we have tried them on 16 lines).  

I know this thread is old, and I've tried searching without luck. My question is what cruise line do you all think has the best bagels? I know it's odd, but for my cruise partner, that is a factor in who we will book with! lol

14 minutes ago, Missymssy said:

I know this thread is old, and I've tried searching without luck. My question is what cruise line do you all think has the best bagels? I know it's odd, but for my cruise partner, that is a factor in who we will book with! lol

Definitely NOT NCL. Their bagels are absolute trash. I can't help you with who has good bagels though I suspect most, if not all, are frozen bagels purchased by the thousands. Good luck, I hope you find some yummy bagels.

I agree......when F&B Departments are ordering an item like a bagel, they are surely ordering in BULK and are surely ordering a frozen item.  Depends on the cruise line but it is not like they are going to bake a "fresh bagel"......with better dough, better water, etc. 

Also, food is VERY, VERY subjective so what one person thinks is an excellent bagel, someone else might think it is terrible. So really no way to give you an answer that may satisfy your partner.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Missymssy said:

I understand your partner :).  But unfortunately, we have yet to find any cruise line that has acceptable bagels.  If you want the "best" bagels, you will need to bring your own.  Otherwise, just accept that shipboard bagels are, at best, a normal roll with a hole!  I will say, that at one time, we thought the small bagels served in Celebrity's "Elite" breakfast lounge (generally in the Tuscan Grill) were not too bad.  But we have not been on Celebrity post COVID so cannot attest to the current quality..

Hank 

4 hours ago, Missymssy said:

We enjoyed QM2 on Cunard.

Have to have a good one for Loxs and Cream Cheese 

Edited by BklynBoy8

Unless they are making the bagels on site you are not getting a good bagel.  Frozen bagels just don’t cut it.  

I recall that I really enjoyed my lox and bagel on MSC.  It was the best I have ever had at sea.  I suspect that they were making their own as all their bread products were outstanding.  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Unless they are making the bagels on site you are not getting a good bagel.  Frozen bagels just don’t cut it.  

I recall that I really enjoyed my lox and bagel on MSC.  It was the best I have ever had at sea.  I suspect that they were making their own as all their bread products were outstanding.  

QM2 tasted like home.

Have to take a pix this time on board.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Oh Btw....

While on board for the last long Sailing we did,  the same bagels I mentioned were part of breakfast delivered to cabins. So it's the same used thru the vessel.

10 hours ago, Missymssy said:

I never had a good bagel on a cruise.

On 3/31/2023 at 5:14 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Interesting!  When we sail on MSC again I'll have to try them....if I can tear myself away from my daily sticky bun at least once. Oh my, I think I'm drooling a bit here.....

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Interesting!  When we sail on MSC again I'll have to try them....if I can tear myself away from my daily sticky bun at least once. Oh my, I think I'm drooling a bit here.....

Hey you are on vacation!  Why not have both???  LOL!  Gotta love those sticky buns!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Seamus6 said:

I'm not a bagel gourmand but I do enjoy them occasionally.

But mostly they are a tasty cream cheese delivery device!

Bagels are good with freshly made Cream Cheese or Fresh Farm Made Butter so creamy.

Of course toasted great.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

I used to live near a bagel bakery.  My favorite, at the time, was an egg bagel, taken home to toast, topped with cream cheese. They were bright yellow!  Are egg bagels still around?

Every bagel place I have ever been to had, and still have, these. I like an egg bagel toasted with butter and great heaping piles of bacon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I used to live near a bagel bakery.  My favorite, at the time, was an egg bagel, taken home to toast, topped with cream cheese. They were bright yellow!  Are egg bagels still around?

The family of a friend of mine had a bagel bakery in the 50’s ..Egg bagels are still around.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Yes as yellow orangey as great they taste.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes as yellow orangey as great they taste.

Most bakeries or bagel stores have them in stock as long as they last. Don't think they make them all day but a limited amount for the day.