Bagels

rkacruiser

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

RK, You asked why double-toasted at Panera's.  I think we learned to ask for that because they are so fresh (straight from the back room bakery) that if untoasted, or toasted once, they still felt doughy.  We like a bit of crispness, I guess.

Yes, crispness is what I like and nicely browned.  I am having difficulty finding just the right setting on my toaster to get the bagels consistently browned the way I like them.  Used the same setting this morning that I did on Thursday and they came out underbrowned.  (Maybe my toaster is sending me a message after several years of use?)  

We also double toast our English muffins, at home.

If I did that at my usual setting for English Muffins, they would be very overdone.  

when I tried making a BLT for myself, at breakfast, on our recent cruise, I found the toast a bit too dry, but perhaps it was sitting out too long.

I find using the commercial toasters on ships difficult to get the proper result more times than not.  I suppose the basic problem is the original setting of the machine.  On one morning, I had to re-toast my English Muffin 4 times to get them "done" to my satisfaction.  Then, they were too dry.  

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

? ? ?

Salmon mixed in cream cheese No! Smear of CC with Salmon RIGHT!

Undoubtedly, real smoked Salmon would be better, but, this is not a staple in my refrigerator.  

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 12:03 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

? ? ?

Salmon mixed in cream cheese No! Smear of CC with Salmon RIGHT!

Try it and you’ll be surprised that it’s good. Real lox on the bagel with regular cream cheese is superior, sure. But lox is expensive to buy all the time and doesn’t go as far as a tub of the salmon cream cheese for a quick breakfast in the morning.

14 hours ago, CruiserLucas said:

Try it and you’ll be surprised that it’s good. Real lox on the bagel with regular cream cheese is superior, sure. But lox is expensive to buy all the time and doesn’t go as far as a tub of the salmon cream cheese for a quick breakfast in the morning.

Still not convinced with the mix.

Agreed, BB.  I had scrambled eggs with lox a couple of times on our most recent cruise.  I realize I would much prefer a portion of plain eggs, and a portion of lox beside it.  

Are you back from your Cunard cruise?  Any food highlights you would care to share?

3 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Agreed, BB.  I had scrambled eggs with lox a couple of times on our most recent cruise.  I realize I would much prefer a portion of plain eggs, and a portion of lox beside it.  

Are you back from your Cunard cruise?  Any food highlights you would care to share?

Still settling in with a couple of more days to clearly share thoughts. Though I feasted and was scared to see the scale on return, only 4 pounds gain in 14 days. Pretty good.

• Like 2

My local grocer has mastered bagel making.  

For all bagels we lightly heat them in the toaster oven then cut them in half for toasting.  For plain and savory varieties we butter than sprinkle on a all seed garlic mix.  The mix is poppy and sesame seeds, parsley and garlic- lots of garlic.  You can also pre melt the butter and add equal parts olive oil to spread for a Mediterranean treat.  

for sweet varieties such as blueberry it is either butter and cinnamon sugar or preserves but no butter.

now to the grocer they have mastered the Texas standard bagel - cheddar cheese and jalapeño.   Yum, yum, a meal in itself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

for sweet varieties such as blueberry it is either butter and cinnamon sugar

Why just for a sweet variety of bagel?  Buttered cinnamon sugar white toast is a favorite of mine.  Ought to be good on a plain bagel as well, I would expect.  

29 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Why just for a sweet variety of bagel?  Buttered cinnamon sugar white toast is a favorite of mine.  Ought to be good on a plain bagel as well, I would expect.  

I just lean to savory. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mary229 said:

My local grocer has mastered bagel making.  

For all bagels we lightly heat them in the toaster oven then cut them in half for toasting.  For plain and savory varieties we butter than sprinkle on a all seed garlic mix.  The mix is poppy and sesame seeds, parsley and garlic- lots of garlic.  You can also pre melt the butter and add equal parts olive oil to spread for a Mediterranean treat.  

for sweet varieties such as blueberry it is either butter and cinnamon sugar or preserves but no butter.

now to the grocer they have mastered the Texas standard bagel - cheddar cheese and jalapeño.   Yum, yum, a meal in itself. 

That cheddar cheese and jalapeno bagel is absolutely delightful! I don't consider them real bagels, because you don't put sour cream on them and the ones I find are typically scrunched together in the proofing stage so there's no actual hole in the center. But, delightful they are! 

As for the butter, I'm not a huge believer in butter on bagels. I'll have it sometimes, especially if adding sausage, egg, and cheese to the bagel for a sandwich. If it's just the bagel, a nice thick schmeer of cream cheese is all that's needed. 

Mmm, once I get my taste back, I've got to get a handful of bagels. Thanks everyone for making me hungry (except you lox folk - I just can't do the salmon)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

If it's just the bagel, a nice thick schmeer of cream cheese is all that's needed.

Don’t tell anyone I said this as it might cause a stir - I don’t like cream cheese and I particularly don’t like cheese cake. 😉

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Don’t tell anyone I said this as it might cause a stir - I don’t like cream cheese and I particularly don’t like cheese cake. 😉

Noooooooo!!! You mustn't say such a thing! 

Cheesecake - it needs to be a specific type for me to enjoy. You just haven't found your style yet! The cruise ship cheesecake isn't that great. It's more pudding like than cheesecake ought to be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Cream Cheese?  I like it when mixed with some other ingredients.  Some kinds of spreads that my grocer makes are delicious on Melba Toast or some kinds of crackers.  Plain?  I have not tried it and am reluctant to spend money on a tub that may or may not get fully used.  

Cheesecake?  I do enjoy that and a topping of Blueberries or Strawberries makes it even better.  But, the preparation of the dessert does vary with the Pastry Chef that makes it.  Just as with other kinds of dishes, some of the Chefs are better at their craft than others.  

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Cream Cheese?  I like it when mixed with some other ingredients.  Some kinds of spreads that my grocer makes are delicious on Melba Toast or some kinds of crackers.  Plain?  I have not tried it and am reluctant to spend money on a tub that may or may not get fully used.  

Cheesecake?  I do enjoy that and a topping of Blueberries or Strawberries makes it even better.  But, the preparation of the dessert does vary with the Pastry Chef that makes it.  Just as with other kinds of dishes, some of the Chefs are better at their craft than others.  

I do like creole cream cheese and i will enjoy American cream cheese if it is served as a savory blend or topped with a spicy concoction like Pickapeppa sauce 

• Thanks 1

Hi CGT and rka😀 I haven't posted on here in a while. I LOVE bagels, lox and cream cheese. Sadly, there is no place where I live that makes anything even close to a NY bagel. And since I have type 2 diabetes they are so full of carbs I rarely eat them anymore. BUT a really good bagel is something to behold😀

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

A 4 oc package on a bagel once a month with CC is not bad at all.

I find it something to look forward for.

Hi BB😀You are right and I may start doing that too!

Are you still on a cruise? I leave a week from Friday. Sailing out of Quebec City ending in NYC.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Hi BB😀You are right and I may start doing that too!

Are you still on a cruise? I leave a week from Friday. Sailing out of Quebec City ending in NYC.

Home a week and having flash backs of the sailing very often. The sailing was very impressive and meaning full this time.

Pls take advantage of QC before sailing. We loved hiking up to CF with all those hills and stairs. I think that was the thing that helped me lose weight for a day. WOW hills and steps, and steps and steps.

But so beautiful once again as it was 31 years ago.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Home a week and having flash backs of the sailing very often. The sailing was very impressive and meaning full this time.

Pls take advantage of QC before sailing. We loved hiking up to CF with all those hills and stairs. I think that was the thing that helped me lose weight for a day. WOW hills and steps, and steps and steps.

But so beautiful once again as it was 31 years ago.

Glad you had a good time! I don't do hills.......hopefully I will enjoy my short time there anyway😀

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi CGT and rka😀 I haven't posted on here in a while. I LOVE bagels, lox and cream cheese. Sadly, there is no place where I live that makes anything even close to a NY bagel. And since I have type 2 diabetes they are so full of carbs I rarely eat them anymore. BUT a really good bagel is something to behold😀

Hi Lois…we’ve missed you.  Type 2…oh no…say it isn’t so.😒  Bagels rarely come my way these days…to many carbs…sighhhh.

1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Lois…we’ve missed you.  Type 2…oh no…say it isn’t so.😒  Bagels rarely come my way these days…to many carbs…sighhhh.

I have missed yall too. As for the diabetes, I have had it for a few years now. Hope you are doing well!

As a new Bagel consumer, I am learning.  My first were Thomas' Blueberry Bagels, I buttered them after being toasted, and they were good.  This morning, I had my first Thomas' Plain Bagels, buttered. and they were OK.  Would adding some Strawberry Preserves or Orange Marmalade improve there taste?  They just seemed so "plain" in taste with butter.