WhatsApp calling using Surf and Stream package?

Has anyone recently been successful using WiFi calling like WhatsApp while using Surf and Stream? I've already posted this on Celebrity board and getting some help, but my mom is currently on the Edge in Europe and has the "included" Surf Wifi and cannot get any phone calls to go through. She expected it to be spotty but not to totally not work. As of last April I was able to use wifi calling on the Anthem with no problems.  The advice I'm getting on the Celebrity board is that she'd need the Premium WiFi package in order to use WiFi calling, but I think that is much more expensive than surf and stream--just curious.

10 hours ago, brookmill18 said:

The advice I'm getting on the Celebrity board is that she'd need the Premium WiFi package in order to use WiFi calling, but I think that is much more expensive than surf and stream--just curious.

The tier of service won't make a diff - the lower tier (Surf) is plenty for a voice call. The issue is likely in the settings within the app.

14 hours ago, brookmill18 said:

Has anyone recently been successful using WiFi calling like WhatsApp while using Surf and Stream? I've already posted this on Celebrity board and getting some help, but my mom is currently on the Edge in Europe and has the "included" Surf Wifi and cannot get any phone calls to go through. She expected it to be spotty but not to totally not work. As of last April I was able to use wifi calling on the Anthem with no problems.  The advice I'm getting on the Celebrity board is that she'd need the Premium WiFi package in order to use WiFi calling, but I think that is much more expensive than surf and stream--just curious.

I have used What's App multiple times for WiFi calling when sailing on Celebrity.  Did your mom have her phone set up for WiFi calling and tested before she embarked?  

Celebrity has two levels of WiFi and there have been many reports of WiFi calling not working with the basic WiFi package but my experience has been with the Premium WiFi.   The Basic is what is included with non-suite bookings, unless you upgrade,  The Premium comes included with Suite / Retreat bookings.  It could be that she has the basic package and not the Premium and that may be the issue.  I recommend she go to iLounge on Deck 4 and ask for help. 

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Did your mom have her phone set up for WiFi calling and tested before she embarked?  

Pretty sure you don't need WiFi Calling for WhatsApp.   You just need cellular data or WiFi to use it.

You would need WiFi Calling set up to use  "cellular" voice and text.

41 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Pretty sure you don't need WiFi Calling for WhatsApp.   You just need cellular data or WiFi to use it.

You would need WiFi Calling set up to use  "cellular" voice and text.

Why use WhatsApp when you can just use WiFi calling????

23 minutes ago, SRF said:

I personally don't use WhatsApp.  However, my primary cell plan ($30/year) does not support WiFi calling.  But, my $1/year plan does.  😄

If I need to make a call, I use my "landline" phone via Zoiper app.  Called France while docked in France via my "landline".  Cost me $0.03

Edited by Another_Critic

43 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not all cell phones have wifi calling option.   Installing the WhatsApp is nice as it also allows you to text within the app.   Again, not something that everyone can do with an Android phone while onboard a ship.

Edited by Sunshine3601

16 hours ago, brookmill18 said:

yes to Royals.  Mom may have to upgrade or move around to get good signal to call.  Or she may need to make sure her wifi calling is on plus airplane plus connected to wifi.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Not all cell phones have wifi calling option.   Installing the WhatsApp is nice as it also allows you to text within the app.   Again, not something that everyone can do with an Android phone while onboard a ship.

Many androids can.  Should be checked and set up prior to trip.

20 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

With Wifi Calling you can also just text. 🙂

I know that some discount carriers do not support WiFi calling, but what modern phones do not?

The vast majority of people can use Wifi calling.  But yes, for those few who cannot, Whatapp, or Skype, or Messenger, or Kik, or Imo, or Viber, or......   work fine.  The only issue is, the person on the other end needs to be using the same app.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

The only issue is, the person on the other end needs to be using the same app.

In the context of OP's question, Google Voice may be the "best" app as that allows calls/texts to any number - the other person doesn't need the app.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We used wifi calling on a recent Explorer cruise. We had surf + stream and the calls were fine although not as good as calling on land. The surf + stream was the upgraded internet afaik. We used a D+ coupon and for one day it was $7 extra. Make sure she has wifi calling enabled on her phone.

I know she's probably back by now but I didn't even know you could do this until someone told us onboard.

Edited by marci22