Dear Royal Up

You never call, you never write.  Now all but one cabin is "sold out" and I haven't heard from you.  I mean if it's over, just let me know, I can handle it but to just leave me hanging is just mean.  Five days and counting.

Very truly yours, 

Desperately Seeking Upgrade 😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 20

I know, just not feeling the Royal Up love after weeks and weeks of checking emails, RU website, credit card pending charges.  I'm like a dog with a bone!  My paid for room is fine but I'm after the thrill of winning a bid!

• Like 4

Dear NeepierRoad,

It's not you.  It's me.  I've moved on because at heart, I'm simply a gold digger and have found someone else that treats me better and sees to my needs who has more money.  Let's still be friends!

Fondly, your friend,

Royal Up

lol

Cheer up, NeepierRoad:  maybe Royal Up with come to their senses and see what they're missing out with you, perhaps surprise you at the last minute.  I think we've all had these hurtful experiences.  There's always another fish in the sea, or cruise for an upgrade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 27

20 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Dear NeepierRoad,

It's not you.  It's me.  I've moved on because at heart, I'm simply a gold digger and have found someone else that treats me better and sees to my needs who has more money.  Let's still be friends!

Fondly, your friend,

Royal Up

lol

Cheer up, NeepierRoad:  maybe Royal Up with come to their senses and see what they're missing out with you, perhaps surprise you at the last minute.  I think we've all had these hurtful experiences.  There's always another fish in the sea, or cruise for an upgrade.

This was SO, SO, SO PERFECT!  I love it! 😍

• Like 2

This is the letter that Royal Up sent me:

Dear Cheap Bast***,

Your cruise is on Oct 14, I noticed that you put in the LOWEST bid on Sept 1, how dare you! You then modified and added a few more bucks on Sept 16, still cheap! But because you've been loyal to me in the past, on Sept 26, I accepted your bid, even though you're a cheap bama! 

Royal UP

Hope this helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

2 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

This is the letter that Royal Up sent me:

Dear Cheap Bast***,

Your cruise is on Oct 14, I noticed that you put in the LOWEST bid on Sept 1, how dare you! You then modified and added a few more bucks on Sept 16, still cheap! But because you've been loyal to me in the past, on Sept 26, I accepted your bid, even though you're a cheap bama! 

Royal UP

Hope this helps!

This is funny!   Several years ago I think I remember with NCL's similar program the meter started with POOR, rather than RCI's WEAK.

Too bad I've read that RCI's IT team isn't that great.  Otherwise they should program the SUBMIT button, for ridiculously low bids to change to FORGET IT!

I'm encouraged by reading in another Royal Up post that there have been times that "weak" bids have been fruitful.  I'll guess is really has to do with specific cruise occupancy, though I wouldn't be surprised if they've set a behind the scenes NO WAY minimum to disregard, say a $25/pp bid on a suite.  I usually book a balcony but for the first time I've booked a junior suite.  I took up the invitation to bid on a Loft Suite; if it comes through, nice.  But if not, I'll be happy experiencing a JS for the first time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PWP-001 said:

This is funny!   Several years ago I think I remember with NCL's similar program the meter started with POOR, rather than RCI's WEAK.

Too bad I've read that RCI's IT team isn't that great.  Otherwise they should program the SUBMIT button, for ridiculously low bids to change to FORGET IT!

I'm encouraged by reading in another Royal Up post that there have been times that "weak" bids have been fruitful.  I'll guess is really has to do with specific cruise occupancy, though I wouldn't be surprised if they've set a behind the scenes NO WAY minimum to disregard, say a $25/pp bid on a suite.  I usually book a balcony but for the first time I've booked a junior suite.  I took up the invitation to bid on a Loft Suite; if it comes through, nice.  But if not, I'll be happy experiencing a JS for the first time.

Mine was in the WEAK zone, lol! I'd like it to say ' ForgetAboutIt'!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dear Desperately Seeking Upgrade,

Honestly if you really were truly desperate for an upgrade, you probably should have pulled the trigger at some point and upgraded yourself by paying the listed price for the cabin you desired.  Though more expensive, that is the surest route to a better cabin and the route most people sailing in better cabin take now, leaving few for RoyalUp bidders.

If full price was over your budget and you really, really want an upgrade, perhaps you should have bid as high as you comfortable paying.  There are many other potential bidders on the ships now so it is easy to be outbid.  If you bid as much as you as willing to pay and still lose, then that’s that; you stay in your original cabin.  

Some rando on the internet in a different cabin going for a different upgrade on a different sailing (perhaps when capacities were lower or on a ship that had cancellations for some reason or just lucky) will post about their winning low bid. And now and then randos on the internet are fibbing (to encourage others to bid low to make it easier for them to win in future? Or just for fun?) Thousands and thousands of others could post about their losing low and moderate bids; it would go on for pages and pages and pages to balance each winning minimum bid.  Of course, if a minimum or low bid is all the upgrade is worth to you, that is what you should bid.  In fact, sometimes the minimum might be more than the upgrade is worth to you and you don’t bid at all.

There are not many cabins available via RoyalUp, so most bids lose.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

I'm encouraged by reading in another Royal Up post that there have been times that "weak" bids have been fruitful. 

Every bid we have won was with a minimum bid - including three upgrades from JS to CLS ($200/pp) and an upgrade from a JS to a GS ($150/pp). We have never made a bid in excess of the minimum.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Dear Desperately Seeking Upgrade,

Honestly if you really were truly desperate for an upgrade, you probably should have pulled the trigger at some point and upgraded yourself by paying the listed price for the cabin you desired.  Though more expensive, that is the surest route to a better cabin and the route most people sailing in better cabin take now, leaving few for RoyalUp bidders.

If full price was over your budget and you really, really want an upgrade, perhaps you should have bid as high as you comfortable paying.  There are many other potential bidders on the ships now so it is easy to be outbid.  If you bid as much as you as willing to pay and still lose, then that’s that; you stay in your original cabin.  

Some rando on the internet in a different cabin going for a different upgrade on a different sailing (perhaps when capacities were lower or on a ship that had cancellations for some reason or just lucky) will post about their winning low bid. And now and then randos on the internet are fibbing (to encourage others to bid low to make it easier for them to win in future? Or just for fun?) Thousands and thousands of others could post about their losing low and moderate bids; it would go on for pages and pages and pages to balance each winning minimum bid.  Of course, if a minimum or low bid is all the upgrade is worth to you, that is what you should bid.  In fact, sometimes the minimum might be more than the upgrade is worth to you and you don’t bid at all.

There are not many cabins available via RoyalUp, so most bids lose.

The difference between a bid and a full price upgrade, in my case, was around $5k.  While I'm willing to throw out a few G's for an upgrade bid to see what sticks, I'm not willing to shell out an additional $5k for a suite.  So while the more expensive route may be the safest, Imma bid for that upgrade.  I may win, I may lose.  Either way I'm on a cruise.  And honestly, if I lose, I'll be relieved, because I can use that cash!  But couldn't pass up an opportunity to bid.   

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

The difference between a bid and a full price upgrade, in my case, was around $5k.  While I'm willing to throw out a few G's for an upgrade bid to see what sticks, I'm not willing to shell out an additional $5k for a suite.  So while the more expensive route may be the safest, Imma bid for that upgrade.  I may win, I may lose.  Either way I'm on a cruise.  And honestly, if I lose, I'll be relieved, because I can use that cash!  But couldn't pass up an opportunity to bid.   

Well, Steph, you probably would not sign yourself “desperately seeking upgrade”; it would not match your post.  I totally get your point.  It is a large part of the reason bidding exists. I share many of your sentiments.  I do watch for price drops that will allow me to upgrade myself (it is nice to catch one), but generally I bid.  I simply bid what I feel the upgrade is worth to me.  While I hope to win, I am not upset or surprised if I lose. 

Starry Eyes, I'm not really desperate for an upgrade.  I was just being silly.  Like StephPS79, the prices of my cruise went up fast and even a guarantee inside was more expensive than a regular priced inside cabin.  It's a win/lose situation.  If I win any of my bids I get an upgraded cabin but I lose the extra casheesh but I'm on a cruise win, lose, or draw so I'm happy and content. 🙂

25 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Well, Steph, you probably would not sign yourself “desperately seeking upgrade”; it would not match your post.  I totally get your point.  It is a large part of the reason bidding exists. I share many of your sentiments.  I do watch for price drops that will allow me to upgrade myself (it is nice to catch one), but generally I bid.  I simply bid what I feel the upgrade is worth to me.  While I hope to win, I am not upset or surprised if I lose. 

I’m guessing the playfulness of OP’s thread starting post was missed.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NeepierRoad said:

Starry Eyes, I'm not really desperate for an upgrade.  I was just being silly.  Like StephPS79, the prices of my cruise went up fast and even a guarantee inside was more expensive than a regular priced inside cabin.  It's a win/lose situation.  If I win any of my bids I get an upgraded cabin but I lose the extra casheesh but I'm on a cruise win, lose, or draw so I'm happy and content. 🙂

I love your original post — so spot on!!  Part of the bid process for me is the fun of getting a great deal, the excitement of getting that winning bid email and the opportunity to maybe get an experience I couldn’t otherwise afford.  Not winning is never going to ruin my trip.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NeepierRoad said:

You never call, you never write.  Now all but one cabin is "sold out" and I haven't heard from you.  I mean if it's over, just let me know, I can handle it but to just leave me hanging is just mean.  Five days and counting.

Very truly yours, 

Desperately Seeking Upgrade 😢

I wouldn't worry too much.  On the sailing I did on Liberty (9/11), my original cabin was an interior, but I did get an email offering to Royal Up, so I put in my bid on a balcony cabin.  This was probably back in July.  I didn't even find out until the Friday (9/9) before my sailing that my bid was successful.  If my bid hadn't won, then I would have been fine with the interior cabin - but I did win and was very  happy to get that balcony cabin.

I'm seeing these posts that state Royal Up was available more up to 60 days out. My request continues to say: 

Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days
Please ensure there are no errors in the information you entered

I sail Nov. 3rd and all info (name and Reservation number) is correct. Any ideas/suggestions what may be going wrong? I did book direct with Royal --- no TA.

I always have to enter my name & reservation number twice to get it to work even though I’ve already got a bid in.  We are currently in a JS on Explorer.  I’ve bid just over minimum on an OS. Prior to my bid, suites were sold out.  Last week, 2 OS appeared.  Today those 2 are still there & there are now JS gty available.  I optimistically see this as a good sign.

8 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

We bid for a balcony from our inside cabin, bid the minimum +$5,  Got notice it was accepted 2 days before the cruise this past week.  A couple cancelled last minute.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NeepierRoad said:

I know, just not feeling the Royal Up love after weeks and weeks of checking emails, RU website, credit card pending charges.  I'm like a dog with a bone!  My paid for room is fine but I'm after the thrill of winning a bid!

5 cruises so far since covid restart and I haven't won a single one yet.  Two were weak bids but two were considered strong.  Apparently I'm just unlucky!

Funny that Royal up’s happen that close.  Perhaps I don’t understand the concept.  I assumed the program was designed to free up rooms Royal could reasonably expect to be able to sell again while getting a few bucks more for ones they thought they couldn’t.  I would think 2 days before sailing, the chance of selling the lower category room would be slim to none.  I guess, depending on the bid, it’s still more revenue.  But seems kinda pointless.🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️