Carnival Vista: No Hot Water All Day

workfromship

We're currently sailing on the Vista and we haven't had any hot water since this morning (Port Day in Montego Bay, Jamaica). The hot water went out somewhere around 10:30AM and as of 10:22PM the issue still hasn't been fixed.

There was an announcement earlier this evening about the hot water being fixed but NOPE. Still no hot water in our cabin. We went to guest services to ask about it and they confirmed that the hot water is indeed still out ship-wide.

It's not the end of the world but dang, it's pretty frustrating. Just thought you all should know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I haven't been on the Vista since 2017, but we had the same problem back then.   It was out about 12 hours, then ALL water was off for about three hours while they fixed the problem.  Not a pretty sight in the public toilets!  Then the next day it was off for a shorter period of time.  They announced that it was only half the ship that time, but couldn't tell which half of the ship had a working toilet 🤢.

They also announced that it would not affect water for fire suppression.   

• Thanks 1

A lot of people were posting yesterday that some parts of the ship had no hot water, and a good chunk of the ship had no water at all. They were saying they had just gotten back onboard in the afternoon after being in port all day, and couldn't take showers to get the sand and grime off before dinner. They were not happy... I sure wouldn't be!!

I love Vista, it's my favorite ship, but they seriously need to show her some love.. there is just too many things that keep going wrong with her.  =/

• Like 2

We were on Panorama (Vista's sister ship) about a month ago, and one night all the toilets (in cabins and public areas) in the front section of the ship (all decks) quit working.  We noticed it in our cabin about 9:30 pm and it got fixed sometime overnight.  

I know these ships are constantly in service and things like this will happen, but at the time, you get kind of nervous not knowing if the problem will get fixed or get worse.  

6 hours ago, pe4all said:

Wonder if that means things are not being cleaned or sanitized as they should in the galley, or in the laundry.  Hope they get the problem fixed soon.

This was my first thought as well. If the galley doesn't have hot water all day, there's no way that the dishes are being cleaned to health code standards.

3 minutes ago, notscb said:

This was my first thought as well. If the galley doesn't have hot water all day, there's no way that the dishes are being cleaned to health code standards.

Perhaps you need to read up on how commercial (and my home) dishwasher works to raise the temperature of the water and sanitizes.

Then post your comments....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

Perhaps you need to read up on how commercial (and my home) dishwasher works to raise the temperature of the water and sanitizes.

As someone who has worked in a commercial kitchen and has used a commercial dishwasher, I'm aware of how some of them work. I'm also aware that if you don't have hot water to begin with, most commercial models don't boost the temp enough to make it go from room temp to where it would need to be to sanitize the dishes.

But if you care to enlighten me, feel free

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, notscb said:

At the risk of being labeled a cheerleader, let me say that each dishwashing machine, glass washing machine, and pot washing sink has their own heating elements.  These machines only take in cold water.  The heating elements in the washing machines are required to maintain constant temperatures, above what the hot water system supplies (150- 165*F depending on the type of machine for wash temperature, 180*F for rinse water, much higher than the 140*F of the hot water system).  Pot wash stations also use chlorine to sanitize washed items.

But, then again, they are using that non-safe water.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

At the risk of being labeled a cheerleader, let me say that each dishwashing machine, glass washing machine, and pot washing sink has their own heating elements.  These machines only take in cold water.  The heating elements in the washing machines are required to maintain constant temperatures, above what the hot water system supplies (150- 165*F depending on the type of machine for wash temperature, 180*F for rinse water, much higher than the 140*F of the hot water system).  Pot wash stations also use chlorine to sanitize washed items.

Good to know that each of the sinks as well as the dishwasher onboard has these systems. The one I worked on was quite old at the time (and not onboard a ship) but I remember having some issues if we didn't have hot water to begin with.

I definitely appreciate the insight you've provided on this thread!

Sanitation supervisors (who oversee the galley utilities (dishwashers)), are required to record both wash and rinse water temps at every machine at regular intervals throughout the day.  They also have a supply of "irreversible temperature recording" strips.  These stick on plates, and if the surface temperature of the plate reaches 160*F, it changes color to black, and even when the plate cools, it will remain black.  This is considered a sanitized surface.  They also check the pails of sanitizing solutions used to wipe down tables and food prep surfaces routinely to ensure that the chlorine content has not diminished, and is still in the required range, with a chemical test strip.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, workfromship said:

We're currently sailing on the Vista and we haven't had any hot water since this morning (Port Day in Montego Bay, Jamaica). The hot water went out somewhere around 10:30AM and as of 10:22PM the issue still hasn't been fixed.

There was an announcement earlier this evening about the hot water being fixed but NOPE. Still no hot water in our cabin. We went to guest services to ask about it and they confirmed that the hot water is indeed still out ship-wide.

It's not the end of the world but dang, it's pretty frustrating. Just thought you all should know.

Did this get fixed?

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

See the source image

5 hours ago, CruiseBro16 said:

Did this get fixed?

Somewhat!

This morning the water was slightly warm and it's a lot better as of the time I'm writing this (10:30PM). We went to guest services around 11AM today and they said that the heater was fixed the night before but it would take time for the water tanks to warm up the reserve tanks.

We're getting there!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, workfromship said:

but it would take time for the water tanks to warm up the reserve tanks.

And, this is why I laugh when someone says, "they told me this on the ship".  Virtually no crew outside the deck and engine departments on a cruise ship actually know how the ship works.  Unlike your house, the ship does not have a "hot water tank" that stores hot water for 2000+ people.  The hot water circulates around the ship constantly, going from a pump to move it, to a heater, to the miles of water pipes around the ship, and returns to the pump.  Just as at home, where when you open the hot water tap it takes a minute or so to get fully hot water, to do this with miles of pipes, and to get it where those miles of pipe can maintain that temperature will take time, but there are no "reserve tanks".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, this is why I laugh when someone says, "they told me this on the ship".  Virtually no crew outside the deck and engine departments on a cruise ship actually know how the ship works.  Unlike your house, the ship does not have a "hot water tank" that stores hot water for 2000+ people.  The hot water circulates around the ship constantly, going from a pump to move it, to a heater, to the miles of water pipes around the ship, and returns to the pump.  Just as at home, where when you open the hot water tap it takes a minute or so to get fully hot water, to do this with miles of pipes, and to get it where those miles of pipe can maintain that temperature will take time, but there are no "reserve tanks".

Looks like we got bamboozled then!

• Haha 1

This morning we were notified that everyone would be getting $100/cabin OBC to make up for the water problem. I think the compensation for the inconvenience is pretty reasonable.

I don't remember how many cabins Vista has but they had to have spent at least $50-$100K in OBC ship-wide to keep everyone happy.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Then post your comments....

Instead of being sarcastic and not helpful at all, perhaps you could enlighten us with your breadth of knowledge on how dishwashers work.

Nevermind, chengkp75 did a great job of telling us without being condescending

Edited by pc_load_letter
  • Like 6