Wine menu

kweentwo

On the Royal right now. The wine list for plus does not indicate anything other than varietal.   You will get what ever cheap wine they brought on board and it might change mid cruise and from bar to bar. I found all the whites to be not to my liking. I have brought on my own at embarkation  & at port. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

On the Royal right now. The wine list for plus does not indicate anything other than varietal.   You will get what ever cheap wine they brought on board and it might change mid cruise and from bar to bar. I found all the whites to be not to my liking. I have brought on my own at embarkation  & at port. 

what did ya bring this time ?

Terrible.   I asked for the wine list at dinner and it was generic.    I would not go on this ship expect it in great wine choices under the package. In fact Evin fact even trying to upgrade to the premium wines was a joke because they didn't have them. It was really truly terrible. When above. Would make me not cruise on princess again

• Like 1

5 hours ago, san diego spartan said:

Terrible.   I asked for the wine list at dinner and it was generic.    I would not go on this ship expect it in great wine choices under the package. In fact Evin fact even trying to upgrade to the premium wines was a joke because they didn't have them. It was really truly terrible. When above. Would make me not cruise on princess again

I'm talking about the full wine list that includes all the bottles with bin numbers - was that what you were given?  

Just off the Ruby and I thought I would give my 2 cents worth.

I am a white wine (only) drinker.

I was on the Emerald in August (out of Southampton). The 'house' wine was Tini! and I thought the Chardonnay was pretty awful. The Pinot Grigio was a bit better, so I went with that for the cruise. I tried a couple of times to 'upgrade' using the menus, but it seemed they never had what was listed.

On the Ruby, the "house" wine was Canyon Road. My opinion again was that the Chardonnay was awful. However, I found that not all bars had the same Chardonnays and Pinot Grigios. In Skywalkers, I asked the server what brand of Chardonnay they had and he told me they had 3 different ones included in the Plus package (not listed on the menu as being by the glass). One of them was Decoy, so that was my 'go to' if it was available. I found that Decoy was available in Skywalkers, Explorers and the Calypso Bar. In the dining room and Good Spirits I think they only had Canyon Road for a Chardonnay, but they had other brands (don't recall the names) for Pinot Grigio that were palatable. It's a head spin to try and keep track since they aren't listed on the menus, but I found asking the bartender or a knowledgeable server would often find me something drinkable that was included in Plus. My advice--ignore the menus. And Vines is dead as far as I could tell. Their 'menu' was the same wines as Good Spirits and the servers were the same servers so they didn't know anything other than what Good Spirits had. Really a shame, as several wines that I now drink at home I first tasted in Vines experiences. So sad. There was hardly anyone sitting there and I can see why.

You do need to be sure the bartender/ server is knowledgeable. We had one experience where on the menu we saw there was a Prosecco Sparkling Wine available, but we preter a Brut. Since that was listed as an upcharge of $4 / glass, we thought we'd try that. Fortunately, DH was at the bar when the bartender started pouring the Prosecco. He said, but we wanted Brut. The bartender said, we don't have that. UM.....felt like saying...so if I ordered a Stella, but you were out, would you just give me a Bud Light???? I guess wine is just pretty mis-understood....

Hope that is helpful and I really hope Princess gets their act together about their wines....

Edited by dreaminofcruisin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Even though we purchase the Princess Plus package, we have been bringing our own wine onboard to drink at dinner. 

The MDR wine selection by the glass is horrible and the poor Junior Waiters spend all their time fetching drink orders.  This causes our glass of wine to show up mid-dinner.

I happily pay for the corkage and we are able to drink much better wines (usually from our own cellar) as soon as we are seated for dinner.

We have found "by the glass" wines in Vines to be totally acceptable on our 6 recent cruises (Majestic and Emerald).

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1

the wines with the princess plus are terrible! Knowing that the house wine is canyon road, there are better bag wines and jug wines out there, if you are not going to show the name of the winery anyway, then up grade the house wine to bulk bag or jug,  just hide the bag or jug behind the bar or pour from a decanter . Retail that wine is 5$, wholesale who knows.  how can you put a 5$ bottle on the same wine list as a 300$.  If I were a restaurant manager I would be embarrassed for myself, my staff and my restaurant to have to server this wine, especially if I was severing on table cloths, china and full silverware settings.  If I was running a road side diner and my clientele was something other than wine drinkers and I only had to have wine for the occasional spritzer or sangria then canyon road makes a lot of sense.  But to serve as my house wine in my main dining room, embarrassing!  If this was chosen by a sommelier that person should reconsider. The wine list is a reflection of the establishment and the image, values, and experience the restaurant / bar wants to provide their patrons. maybe it does reflect the new values of the cruise line.  maybe the drink packages should go away and the ship could BYOB. don't  get me started on the premium package and not having a majority of the wines available on board that are included in the premium package , and having to hope you like the one that is, or having to hunt for the bar that has the bottle you like. Then, likely the one you want will be over 18 / glass anyway. With respect to wine best practice ---- BYOB. in practicality  this is  a little difficult even for a week long cruise.  

• 1 month later...

I had the “red blend” on Royal in July and Crown in September and Caribbean in October. All good… not great. Veltliner was a good white. I wondered about Vines future as it was often not open and they didn’t have what was on their menu. Better to just say surprise me! I tried to ask for Duckhorn and they didn’t have it. Strange. Then I was in Crown grill and they had Duckhorn. He said it was just opened that night but it was off so I didn’t drink it. All very strange and not top notch, for sure.