credit card?

A group of us are going on a cruise --- all of us have credit cards except one lady. My question is does she need one? I only ever cruised on NCL and with them you need a credit card merged to your door card...you don't use cash at any of the shops etc... Does it work like this on RCL?

24 minutes ago, C cruise said:

A group of us are going on a cruise --- all of us have credit cards except one lady. My question is does she need one? I only ever cruised on NCL and with them you need a credit card merged to your door card...you don't use cash at any of the shops etc... Does it work like this on RCL?

She can set up a cash account. The only problem is now when you check in it doesn't let you complete the process to get your set sail pass until you put in a credit card number. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.30.26 AM.png

• Like 1

No, she can put cash on her account at the service desk. If it gets low or she needs more they will notify her about that. There are more people than you think do it like this, even though they have a credit card. There are many valid reasons for doing cash. Royal wants the money, they offer options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

She can set up a cash account. The only problem is now when you check in it doesn't let you complete the process to get your set sail pass until you put in a credit card number. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.30.26 AM.png

Did not know that, could get a prepaid card, for that if you travel companion, use theirs.

14 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

While a debit card can be used, due to the holds, its not recommended.

Why?? Many people, like I, keep a large amount on it. I mean its tagged to your checking/savings account. Hold are irrelevant if you have a good balance on it

• Thanks 1

And if you don’t? Or Royal makes an error on your account?  Using a CC,  you can dispute incorrect charges and they are segregated from your account until the correction can be made.  But if the money has been removed or put on hold on your checking account, you could have unwanted consequences with which to deal.  Not everyone can afford that type of problem.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, poocher said:

And if you don’t? Or Royal makes an error on your account?  Using a CC,  you can dispute incorrect charges and they are segregated from your account until the correction can be made.  But if the money has been removed or put on hold on your checking account, you could have unwanted consequences with which to deal.  Not everyone can afford that type of problem.

I switched to a debit card the last cruise because I had a large amount of refundable OBC and didn't want the credit to go to my credit card.  But, they could have screwed up and debited my account instead of crediting it.

4 minutes ago, poocher said:

There are daily withdrawal limits  which protects your transactions plus Bank has dispute coverage similar to CC...Move on to the 21st century lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, poocher said:

Or I could use a CC that pays me various types of rewards for using it then pay it off from my checking account.  Move on to smart money management? 😁

Yeah, I bought OBC for 25% off with a CC deal.  Didn't want the credit balance to go back to my travel points card (would have lost points).  So, had it go to debit card and auto paid the CC that I used to buy the OBC.  And the bank credit processed before the CC payment was debited.  🙂

I agree, actual C.C. are the best for the protection they offer and it's covered by Federal Law.  Some banks make claims that they will stand behind their "debit cards" if fraudulently made or incorrect amounts are made on purchases.  But, that is a promise made by the bank, not a law.  I've always tried to get both my daughters to use their C.C. instead of the debit cards, after all you can pay off a C.C. each month without any interest and you can get points as well, depending on your C.C. company.  Credit Card companies and the banks make money no matter what, if you pay it off each month or not.

Not that I'm a banking wizard or anything like that.  But, I do highly recommend using a C.C. rather than a "Debit Card" on most purchases you make.  I use a debit card at my local Publix and Sam's (at Sam's I have several C.C. and a "Debit Card" on my App) but for purchasing goods (other than groceries) and services, the C.C. is the cats meow, for me.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I've always tried to get both my daughters to use their C.C. instead of the debit cards,

Oh I have an easy fix for this - give them your credit card and they'll use it all the time instead of their debit cards. Works like a charm for my daughter 🤣 

In all seriousness though, I taught my daughter the same lesson. I put her name on my credit card accounts when she was 16 to help her build credit, as well as to help her learn to budget while having the purchase protections in case something got lost or stolen etc.

She's still in college so she still gets an allowance from me, and therefore still has my credit card, but she uses it to make purchases when she's using her own money too, because she's learned the benefits of doing so. She just sends me a Zelle to pay me back for the stuff she's buying with her own money. Works out great. And she has an excellent credit rating 😄.

• Haha 1

Yup, worked well with my daughter.  She has an excellent credit rating & understands the concept of budgeting and finances.  My son on the other hand 🙄.  Divorced father of three, can’t seem to get the hang of it.  Never got that credit card back 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1

I guess I didn't mention it very well.  Yep, both my daughters got/have both, C.C. and D.C. but still use the D.C. more than what I would be comfy with.  But, they are both very well off professionals with very well of husbands.  Much better off than I am.  I'd like to think I had at least a little to do with that.  I also told them that, at the time, not sure about now, C.C.s build up credit scores and history, D.C.s do nothing for you, they are like deferred cash.  They must have listened a bit.  

• Like 1