Pre-boarding covid test policy

alc13

Cunard's guidance on this is confusing to me.  Is  an antigen test required, or not?  

1)  All fully vaccinated guests aged five years and over are highly recommended to take a lateral flow/antigen test within three days prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal. 

2) Guests will also be asked to confirm that a test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre‑boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal.

So the fact that they ask for confirmation of a negative test result doesn't contradict the fact that they are only recommending a test?

I may be the only one confused by this since I haven't seen other questions on it.

37 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Easiest thing is to do the test then you can answer yes when you're asked the question.

And I think everyone who has had it would agree that it is preferable to know before you step on board and spend a week on the ship feeling grim.

• Like 2

Even though we were on a sailing to Canada that had extra requirements to enter, we would have tested before for safe keeping.

I were happy that the observed proctored test was negative and we even tested the morning before we headed to the terminal in Brooklyn.

Also we tested periodically on board with negative results and gave us confidence we were following the guidelines suggested.

This is Day 4 after the cruise and still testing Negative. Unfortunately we found out before disembarking that one of our CC group was Positive and heading to Deck 5. Also another member felt flu symptoms and test negative but did not test a second time. And on arrival at home one of the couples test positive.

During the sailing Captain Hall did make an announcement during this Noon report that the ship was in good condition. Very few cases and Commended Us for following the Highly Recommended Masking, Distancing and HS Station usage.

Yes we did quite a number of passengers running around without masks but close to a good number that did wear masks except drinking, eating and high capacity locations like theater, Illuminations and Queens Room to name a few.

• Like 1

Well,  unfortunately the change in policy which requires the passenger to go through insurance rather than receiving a cruise credit, may create an onboard problem. Many cases are quite mild and people might decide to sail with Covid rather than canceling. 
My sailing still requires testing and I am getting yet another booster today and my flu shot. 

7 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Well,  unfortunately the change in policy which requires the passenger to go through insurance rather than receiving a cruise credit, may create an onboard problem. Many cases are quite mild and people might decide to sail with Covid rather than canceling. 
My sailing still requires testing and I am getting yet another booster today and my flu shot. 

We too since we were sailing for two weeks got the flu shot two weeks before the sailing. And by chance at the tail end of the sailing one of our close group got the Flu.

But with proper precautions on board and the shots we got early on we were very confident of protection.

11 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

I might have thought receiving a true refund of the amount paid (less excess) from the insurance company would be more attractive in many circumstances than receiving a mere 'cruise credit'.

Are people really that concerned where the money/credit comes from?

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I might have thought receiving a true refund of the amount paid (less excess) from the insurance company would be more attractive in many circumstances than receiving a mere 'cruise credit'.

Are people really that concerned where the money/credit comes from?

I guess that presupposes all guests have insurance and the insurance carries Covid related cover.

We are never asked to show proof of insurance and we think we'd be daft to cruise without any but I know for an absolute  fact some passengers have  taken that risk on Round Britain trips so who's to say that doesn't happen on other itineraries.

17 hours ago, alc13 said:

Cunard's guidance on this is confusing to me.  Is  an antigen test required, or not?  

1)  All fully vaccinated guests aged five years and over are highly recommended to take a lateral flow/antigen test within three days prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal. 

2) Guests will also be asked to confirm that a test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre‑boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal.

What does "Fully Vaccinated" mean now though? 2 doses, 3, 4?

Edited by ace2542

We are now three days out from embarkation and I can see the Health Declaration.  It says 

Within 10 days of sailing on your cruise, have you tested positive for COVID-19?  No Yes

- which begs the question of whether a test - highly recommended but not required - was actually performed.  I guess Cunard is more and more relying on people to behave responsibly.

In any case, we tested negative this morning.   

You're being literal again. 🙂

If you haven't tested you haven't tested positive.

Frankly, I think Cunard asking embarking guests to confirm but not prove that they've tested presupposes that some people will prevaricate and indicates that Cunard is OK with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

Frankly, I think Cunard asking embarking guests to confirm but not prove that they've tested presupposes that some people will prevaricate and indicates that Cunard is OK with that.

Exactly!

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

You said it better than I did!  That's how I read it, too.

Has anyone had the experience of providing proof of a negative RAT? I'm sailing on QE in a few weeks on her very first cruise back in Australia, and have received this advice from Cunard about what I may be asked to show before boarding. . 

For RAT test results:

• One (1) photo which shows all together the RAT result, government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license) and a clock displaying the time (e.g. a watch, mobile phone, wall clock).

The part that bothers me is the last thing about  a clock displaying the time. I will be travelling alone and only have one mobile phone so can't use it in the photo. And surely a watch or wall clock won't do unless they show the date as well as the time.  Perhaps I'll have to pretend it is a hostage video and hold up the days' newspaper!  

Does anyone have experience of successfully providing proof? What did you include in the photo?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BrisbaneR said:

Has anyone had the experience of providing proof of a negative RAT? I'm sailing on QE in a few weeks on her very first cruise back in Australia, and have received this advice from Cunard about what I may be asked to show before boarding. . 

For RAT test results:

• One (1) photo which shows all together the RAT result, government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license) and a clock displaying the time (e.g. a watch, mobile phone, wall clock).

The part that bothers me is the last thing about  a clock displaying the time. I will be travelling alone and only have one mobile phone so can't use it in the photo. And surely a watch or wall clock won't do unless they show the date as well as the time.  Perhaps I'll have to pretend it is a hostage video and hold up the days' newspaper!  

Does anyone have experience of successfully providing proof? What did you include in the photo?

Take the photo of the RAT and your driver's licence (with two c's) and then take a screen shot of the photograph with your phone. The time on your phone will show on the screen shot and you can send them the latter picture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Underwatr said:

Is it just me, or could I take a test today and screen shot it in a month or two?

Yes, quite right. You could. So much for that idea.

Mind you, all photographs taken with a phone seem to be date and time stamped, these days.

Edited by LittleFish1976

I'd welcome the opportunity to prove a test validity via a foolproof photo method rather than buying a video-monitored test, which is what I think I'll have to do in November.

I suppose this watch would work for BrisbaneR's proof.

IMG_20221011_234428.thumb.jpg.92e73cb662c4d49a1cefeaafa862c74e.jpg

Edited by Underwatr

A clock , watch , phone displaying time is nonsense, you can set it to any time.

They should either revert to supervised tests , e.g. video , or give up.

The testing regime has so many holes,  coupled with the fact that insurance companies will not take unsupervised test as proof so won't pay up, and you can't get a supervised PCR which insurance companies require if you admit to a positive LFT. This simply encourages people to not test and lie.

If a precruise test is important the £20 for a supervised test is nothing and Cunard should go back to mandatory tests day before.

• Like 1

After reading all this  rigmarole about testing I am so glad we were able to get a rapid test at a pharmacy for the two cruises we took from Canada: Vancouver and Québec. A detailed document was provided and the cost was a mere $40 or $50 with no tax.  There were some temporary clinics near the terminal in Vancouver which charged $120 plus tax.

If you have your own tests (I think an individually packaged test might be best so they can watch you break the seal on everything - but no experience yet), there are services that will do a video observation of you taking your test and email you the required documentation. One example (which I plan to use in November) is Azova.  US$20 per observed test, whether you're in US, Canada or elsewhere. Many commonly available tests are supported.