Upgrade fairy news, notes, tips?

havanadaydreaming

Who has experience with being upgraded on a CCL room?  

My wife is Platinum and we have never received an offer.  No worries, really, as we almost always book balconies and those are tough to upgrade i imagine.  

But...we have my first two inside rooms booked for Oct (made yesterday) and early mid Dec.  

There is no rhyme or reason as to how or why the upgrade fairy strikes.  We just took our 9th cruise in July and received our second upgrade offer (the first one we accepted).  We went from a spa inside to a spa suite on the Splendor for $500 total.

I have been "upsold" from a balcony to a suite twice and from interior to balcony once. Both my DH and I are Platinum but I have only received the offers. If you get a call with a 305 area code, answer it!  Check your cruise manager daily.  I received upsell offers in My To-Do List (on left side of Cruise Manager screen) and it was available for a limited time.  Good luck!!

• Like 2

We received twice in the 36 cruises we have booked and did not take either as we really did not feel it was a good deal.  On our June cruise to Alaska they offered our grandson an upgrade from inside to a balcony and we only knew about it because it was posted in My To-Do List.

We have been offered 3 upsells.....once was on the Victory on a 3 day cruise when we booked an interior, and they offered for $10 more a day (so $30 total) to move to a balcony. I snagged that one. The other 2 I declined, one was to move us from a balcony to a suite, and the other was from a regular balcony to a spa balcony, but that was on a ship without the T-pool which is really the only spa perk I like. 

I took an upsell offer on my last 2 Carnival cruises. Both were from inside rooms to balcony rooms. 

The first was a room I booked. The room I moved from went empty that week but that cruise was about 50% full. The second was a gty inside. I was assigned a low level mid ship but took an upsell to a lido balcony. That cruise was a lot fuller and I don't know if they resold my original.

I have another gty inside booked on an upcoming Celebration cruise. I will have to wait and see if another upsell offer is made. I have not been given my room assignment yet.

Jeeze, I must be lucky then. Seems we're always booked in at minimum Balconies and have had the upsell call on about half our cruises. Best one was the Owners Suite on the Fascination, amazing.

Edited by hard_eight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hard_eight said:

Jeeze, I must be lucky then. Seems we're always booked in at minimum Balconies and have had the upsell call on about half our cruises. Best one was the Owners Suite on the Fascination, amazing.

I have seen that suite!  Awesome!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Who has experience with being upgraded on a CCL room?  

My wife is Platinum and we have never received an offer.  No worries, really, as we almost always book balconies and those are tough to upgrade i imagine.  

But...we have my first two inside rooms booked for Oct (made yesterday) and early mid Dec.  

Upsells are always based on your cabin location/type and the cruise lines need/desire to resell your  original cabin and to sell you another.  For example, a connecting cabin that you are not linked to the other side.   

Guest BasicSailor
6 hours ago, bambam said:

If it wasn’t for bad luck.... 19 cruises, about to take our 20th, never a visit from the upgrade fairy.  Sigh.....

Thats because the upgrade fairy became the up-sale fairy 😉

I've had 3 offers from the Upsell Fairy over the years.  All were via phone calls.  All were when I was already booked in a Balcony, and all were an upsell offer to a Suite.  I don't get the calls anymore, probably because I book Suites now, so unless there is a higher level Suite on my sailing than the one I am in, there's nowhere to upsell to. 

My first Upsell call was in 2012: 

The only time I ever booked a Guarantee cabin was a Balcony Guarantee when I booked a little bit last-minute and it was the only Balcony type available.  I got a call from the Upsell Fairy with an offer for an Ocean Suite a few weeks before sailing, while I was still waiting to find out my Balcony cabin assignment.  She was able to tell me what Balcony had been assigned to me.  It wasn’t a bad cabin, but her offer was even better.  After OKing it with DH (while the Upsell Fairy kindly waited on hold for me), I took the offer.

I don’t know if it still works this way, but back then (last time was around 2016), if you accepted an upsell, you were put on a list of guests the Upsell Fairies would call first when there were future offers to be made.  An Upsell Fairy told me this.  And another Upsell Fairy confirmed it.  I took the first offer, turned down the second offer, and took the third offer.  When I turned down the second offer, I begged the Fairy not to remove me from their call list, and she promised she wouldn’t.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I don’t know if it still works this way, but back then (last time was around 2016), if you accepted an upsell, you were put on a list of guests the Upsell Fairies would call first when there were future offers to be made.  An Upsell Fairy told me this.  And another Upsell Fairy confirmed it.  I took the first offer, turned down the second offer, and took the third offer.  When I turned down the second offer, I begged the Fairy not to remove me from their call list, and she promised she wouldn’t.😁

That's interesting!!  The majority of my upsells have been after the restart.  Good to know😃

We are platinum/total of 21 cruises on Carnival, with a history of booking both inside and balcony cabins.

Only 1 offer in 14 years (and it was since cruising resumed) - we were booked in an aft facing balcony cabin on Miracle.  I don't know what the offer was specifically, as it was gone by the time I responded.☹️

I upsold myself on the Horizon in February.  Saw a Havana aft wrap on deck 8 for $250 more than my regular midship deck 8 balcony.   Called my pvp and snagged it.  Best $250 I even spent!  Total cost was around $750 for the cruise for 2 of us, including tax and pre-paid gratuities.  This was when Horizon was sailing at 60% occupancy.  Otherwise have never gotten an upsell call - but then again I always book a cabin I will be satisfied with from the start.

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 1

38 days out and checking daily.  Booked in an inside cabin and would take a balcony upgrade for the right price. 

We have only been offered an upgrade once - our honeymoon cruise out of Barcelona.  Went from inside to balcony.  
This cruise is to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. 

• Like 1

For our Breeze cruise coming up this weekend, I received an upsell offer back in May to go from an interior to an oceanview for $120, or a balcony for $180. We opted for the balcony. I received the offer via my to-do list, then also received an email about it. We weren't really looking forward to our first interior, so were pretty happy we got the offer. 🙂  This was my first upsell offer in 17 cruises on 4 different lines.

• Like 1