Solo advance booking or last minute?

opuscat1

So I'm newly divorced and retired in my 50's.   I'll be a first time snowbird in south eastern Florida from Jan-Mar so far.   I was looking at some sailings Apr 1 from any Florida ports to start with.   As a Canadian and kinda price sensitive (see divorce above LOL) would I be better off just waiting to see what's available more last minute than prebooking anything.  I've never been able to do last minute before so I've got no experience.   I did find one that wasn't a bad price in Canadian dollars but I'm really not that fussy on ports or anything like that  I'm very open to hopping on anything but would like drinks-tips etc included too perhaps.  I want it allllll is that possible LOL.   Any advice is greatly appreciated ...

I've booked 1 1/2 years ahead and 9 days ahead.  I just look for good prices where I want to go.  

But generally you get the best deals after the final payment time. ( usually 90 to 120 days ahead)

That is when quite a few people decide they can't do the cruise and cabins open up.

• Like 3

Hi, I have been sailing solo for 20 years now and I think if you find an itinerary and price you are good with, book it. I usually book in advance and it always gives me something to look forward to😀

• Like 1

I guess a good time might be if there cruise line you're looking at is running a single supplement promo.

Cuz I am going on my first cruise and by myself on a VV cruise in beginning of November and I booked couple weeks ago while they had no single supplement on double occupancy rooms sale and got a central sea terrace for $1320 (normally $2640) while a single occupancy ocean view was $1485.

I get motion sick so I specifically need certain kind of rooms. So those are the only two I was looking at. 

Edited by ineedmore1337sauce
Trying to make more sense

Yeah I think about that one too I do prefer mid or mid-aft ship and never the front.    Some lines have better single rates than others there's threads here for that too.   I'm thinking of holding the rate I just got until xmas and after that I have to decide or not for the full refund.    Part of me thinks eh just wait and see and if it's there great I'll book it more last minute.  I think the worst thing that could happen would be to catch covid and have to be stuck in an inside cabin for a week. And right now covid is everywhere again so maybe that's straining my logic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I almost always sail solo (around 30 cruises so far) and I tend to book last minute as I find better deals at that point.  However, there are lots of times that I book 6 months or so in advance.  I usually have a price I am willing to spend in mind and aim for that. When I find it, I pull the trigger.

Factors I consider are: 

Price (and is there a single supplement or a reduced supplement)

Itinerary (if I REALLY want an itinerary I book in advance)

Cabin (I love the solo balcony cabins on Royal Caribbean, but there are very few and book fast)

If I have to fly to the port, what's airfare price looking like (hard to do last minute and fly)

My need for a vacation (I have a very flexible work schedule, so I can usually go last minute if I'm super-stressed out)

Ship (honestly, this is my least important factor, but I have sailed inaugural cruises on some new ships because I wanted to see what they were all about right away, but they are more pricey)

Good Luck with retirement!!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:16 PM, opuscat1 said:

So I'm newly divorced and retired in my 50's.   I'll be a first time snowbird in south eastern Florida from Jan-Mar so far.   I was looking at some sailings Apr 1 from any Florida ports to start with.   As a Canadian and kinda price sensitive (see divorce above LOL) would I be better off just waiting to see what's available more last minute than prebooking anything.  I've never been able to do last minute before so I've got no experience.   I did find one that wasn't a bad price in Canadian dollars but I'm really not that fussy on ports or anything like that  I'm very open to hopping on anything but would like drinks-tips etc included too perhaps.  I want it allllll is that possible LOL.   Any advice is greatly appreciated ...

Also newly divorced and in my 50s, sadly not retired yet, I am not quite going solo, I do have a solo cabin on MSC going out of Port Canaveral on April second.  The price couldn’t be beat- rate included drinks and wifi , I think it was $560 for 7 nights.  

Debating my plans for my next cruise, this one will be truly solo, maybe Alaska, maybe transatlantic, I am watching prices now. 

I am deliberating this as well.

Retired in May. DH cruises with me A LOT but I avoid golf league season with him...so alone I must go!

I have declared this "retirement year" & my goal is a cruise/month. (OK, in March it's Vegas instead).

May is my only open month...and MSC has a hell of a deal.

$1466 for a balcony for 14 days w/ $500 OBC. 

I love a good deal...and am wondering if other things might pop up between now & then.

I have not sailed MSC but have had it recommended.

Living in the Midwest it is usually best for me to book ahead to secure best air prices...

Decisions decisions.

I have booked my first solo cruise for March 2023 on MSC (great solo rate). It's just a four day to see if I like it. I used to cruise with my DH when he was alive, but it's been ten years. I have done some solo trips on land, and I enjoyed them, so I don't see why I would enjoy solo cruising, but time will tell. 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:41 PM, PG_traveller said:

I have booked my first solo cruise for March 2023 on MSC (great solo rate). It's just a four day to see if I like it. I used to cruise with my DH when he was alive, but it's been ten years. I have done some solo trips on land, and I enjoyed them, so I don't see why I would enjoy solo cruising, but time will tell. 

I suspect you will enjoy, especially if you have enjoyed land trips solo.

DH & I cruised a week in July...then I stayed another week & loved it.

I did 2 weeks in August...it was the same itinerary both weeks & I while I still had a great time, I was ready to go home after 2 weeks. 

Was it that 2 weeks was too long solo, or was it the same itinerary? Not sure!

Hasn't stopped me...now I'm doing 12 days on MSC solo in Feb! (he has a Myrtle beach golf trip that week). 

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I tend to pick my cruises well in advance -- partly due to the fact that I might be looking for a certain itinerary and partly due to work: it's difficult for me to take off for a week or more without prior planning and coordination.

Once I retire, I expect that I will do both:  I'll pick out some really fab itineraries well in advance, but there may also be opportunities to take advantage of some last minute offers. My sister and BIL, already retired, are always finding great deals at the last minute; I'm jealous!

On 10/11/2022 at 8:16 PM, opuscat1 said:

Yeah I think about that one too I do prefer mid or mid-aft ship and never the front.    Some lines have better single rates than others there's threads here for that too.   I'm thinking of holding the rate I just got until xmas and after that I have to decide or not for the full refund.    Part of me thinks eh just wait and see and if it's there great I'll book it more last minute.  I think the worst thing that could happen would be to catch covid and have to be stuck in an inside cabin for a week. And right now covid is everywhere again so maybe that's straining my logic.

I cruise solo a lot.  For the most part prices drop after everyone's final payment is due.  Having said that if there is something you really want book it.  I do both.  I am booked for Iceland next Aug.  It's pricey, especially when paying in Canadian dollars, but it's a cruise I want.

As for Covid.  I have done two since covid started and am lucky both where during lower peaks.  It is crazy right now and glad I am not going.  Plus there are those entitled people who do not respect rules.  ie on excursion in closed areas where they say "you must wear a mask" and people don't. 

I say if you find what you wank ahead book it and start saving.  If you want to wait, it will likely drop but then flights could be an issue.  Best of luck.

Thanks all ... I'm holding a balcony cabin on Princess for Apr 1st in the end at least for now.  I have til Jan 1 to truly decide but I'm leaning towards going.   It a decent deal in Canadian dollars and included drinks and wifi and tips and little $200 U.S. onboard credit.   I didn't really care that much where it went my plan was to just sit at a bar at the back and watch us sail away from wherever.   

• Like 2

As others have said if I find a cruise I really want to do then I just book it if the price is right. If I haven't made up my mind, I'll wait until the last minute but then flight prices may be higher, so it's trying to get the right balance.

I did get a €200 7 day solo cruise out of Barcelona a few years back which was a steel

Next Autumn, I'm considering booking flights to Barcelona as early as possible and then seeing what cruises are available a few weeks before I fly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've sailed only NCL since 2019.

I've done one late booking (2 weeks before the trip), one a couple months in advance but after final payment, one 2 1/2 months in advance and my most recent one was booked in September for a March sailing.   The one 2 1/2 months in advance was a deal I couldn't refuse for a balcony (only $60 more than a Studio when airfare was figured for both, using NCL to book the air in the balcony).  My upcoming trip was booked at $899 for the Studio, got a price drop to $799 at final payment and current rates for the Studio are over $1,000.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:46 PM, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

I always book last minute (as in within 6 weeks of departure). I would only do this though if the flights typically aren't that expensive for booking that late. 

I wish I could do that but being in Ireland there aren't any particularly interesting cruises departing from here and most flights are best booked months in advance even when going to the continent. I'm hoping when Cobh gets it's second cruise pier setup there might be some ships with warm weather itineraries allowing embarkation from there.