Table for 2

9 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

What is the best method to request a table for 2 in late traditional dining (Liberty OTS)?

Is there a way online, by phone, or have to wait till onboard?

Any experiences and guidance appreciated.

Best to wait from 2-3 weeks before your sailing and kindly ask for a confirmation email has always worked for us.

• Like 1

While I prefer a table for two and I don't find fault in those that want one, from what I've experienced and have seen in the MDR, a table for 2 means (in most cases) that there are only 2 chairs/people at the table for two, not that there is any privacy.  The table for 2 or 4 or 8 or..... next to the table for 2 is so close, it's not really a like a table for two in a land based restaurant.  Again, not a criticism and not trying to be a party pooper, just if you are new to cruising on Royal (Carvival too) don't expect a nice little romantic table for two where you can discuss you intimate plans, discussions, expressions, and so on without people being no more that 2 feet away.  You can ask the person at the table for the salt and they wouldn't have to straighten out their elbow to hand it to you.  Example:

pano_f.jpg

And there are many many configurations that have up to a dozen tables for 2 lined up next to each other.  

Thanks all, e-mail it is!

I realize most ships only offer a few inches separation from the next table, but at least that offers the option to converse or not with the neighbors, not the obligation of a large table.

Appreciate the speedy replies.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

While I prefer a table for two and I don't find fault in those that want one, from what I've experienced and have seen in the MDR, a table for 2 means (in most cases) that there are only 2 chairs/people at the table for two, not that there is any privacy.  The table for 2 or 4 or 8 or..... next to the table for 2 is so close, it's not really a like a table for two in a land based restaurant.  Again, not a criticism and not trying to be a party pooper, just if you are new to cruising on Royal (Carvival too) don't expect a nice little romantic table for two where you can discuss you intimate plans, discussions, expressions, and so on without people being no more that 2 feet away.  You can ask the person at the table for the salt and they wouldn't have to straighten out their elbow to hand it to you.  Example:

pano_f.jpg

And there are many many configurations that have up to a dozen tables for 2 lined up next to each other.  

We ALWAYS ask for a table for 2 that is not side by side another table. Never a problem.............Those tables are given most times to the people that go to the dining room the day they embark and ask for a table for 2.........

We always loved the table for 2's on Explorer of the Seas.  Bottom level when you walk in at the extreme back of the dining room, behind the staircase . The tables are up against the beautiful tile wall. The tables are close to the kitchen so the food is always hot.

Not that important to us to see the rolling ocean with a window table. We can get plenty of looks at the sea  from our Balcony cabin.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I realize most ships only offer a few inches separation from the next table, but at least that offers the option to converse or not with the neighbors, not the obligation of a large table.

Yep, just a heads up.  Hope you enjoy your cruise!

5 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Absolutely right, I can't remember the ship but there was a row of three tables for two people  near our table for four. After a couple of nights there was a bit of interaction between the three couples but also privacy for the couples to talk alone.

It seemed the best of both worlds to me.

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Send an e mail to rcldining@rccl.com

we tried that, they said they did not received our first try and i show where they should have. I then tried again and they said that they honor request for those couples like us that like to dine alone, but they would not help us at all..they said to see the dining room person on deck 3 when we arrive at the ship...they were not help at all. We already had a fixed dining time set up and had written docs from rccl showing that, buy even though they said they honor requests like ours, they would not do so...typical customer service from rccl from a happy diamond member.

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We ALWAYS ask for a table for 2 that is not side by side another table. Never a problem.............Those tables are given most times to the people that go to the dining room the day they embark and ask for a table for 2.........

We always loved the table for 2's on Explorer of the Seas.  Bottom level when you walk in at the extreme back of the dining room, behind the staircase . The tables are up against the beautiful tile wall. The tables are close to the kitchen so the food is always hot.

Not that important to us to see the rolling ocean with a window table. We can get plenty of looks at the sea  from our Balcony cabin.

9 hours ago, Ret MP said:

pano_f.jpg

I also have never had a problem with the small tables being so close together.  I  ask for one not so close to the others and don't care about window.  I have gotten the same table on deck 3 under the stairs  on the Mariner on the past 5 or 6 sailings.   

• Like 2

Just out of interest if you have a table for two that isn't near other similar tables how do you find the service. My fear, perhaps unfounded, is the larger tables would get the service and attention from the servers.

The minute you get on the ship go to the dining room. Tell them what you want, and more than likely you will get it. It does not hurt to be friendly and nice. We have ALWAYS gotten what we wanted doing it that way.On line has never worked for us. Quite the opposite for us, we got more personal service at a table for 2. Big tables are visiting with table mates, not so much the waiter. We got to now our waiter and assit. waiter better as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tin can said:

Just out of interest if you have a table for two that isn't near other similar tables how do you find the service. My fear, perhaps unfounded, is the larger tables would get the service and attention from the servers.

I sail solo now and  had my app and dinner (no dessert)  done and I was gone before the larger table next to me even got their apps

I usually end up with one of those 2 tops a foot away from the next table .

I dont mind them as we usually end up chatting with the other people next to us , but we dont have to wait for them to be served before we start to eat.

Its usually the same people too, as they keep the same dinner time as us.

And we end up in the same spot every night.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Again, not a criticism and not trying to be a party pooper, just if you are new to cruising on Royal (Carnival too) don't expect a nice little romantic table for two where you can discuss you intimate plans, discussions, expressions, and so on without people being no more that 2 feet away.    

I just want to point out the premise or point of my post.  Not meant to criticize, discourage, or anything negative.  Just a "heads-up" for/to new cruisers to Royal.  Your table for two may not be exactly what you are used to or expect.  

And yes, there are some that are very nicely placed tables for two.  But, not many!

15 minutes ago, loman said:

I usually end up with one of those 2 tops a foot away from the next table .

I dont mind them as we usually end up chatting with the other people next to us , but we dont have to wait for them to be served before we start to eat.

Its usually the same people too, as they keep the same dinner time as us.

And we end up in the same spot every night.

We actually don't care if we get a table for two or four.  Like you, we don't mind talking to the people at the next table or at our table.  I just really don't want to sit at a table any larger that a table for 4 unless it is a round table or I know the rest of the party, like family and/or actual friends.  I don't like being sandwiched in.  The only thing we really like to try to get is to sit next to a window.

So the consensus seems to be that closer to sailing, maybe after final payment, I will try to email the Dining Dept.

If I get no response or the wrong response I’ll look for the DR Mgr. right after boarding.

Did that for many years before some of the lines offered a choice of table size as part of the online reservation process.

Thanks all!

18 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Is that the area that is separated by a short wall?  I believe they had that sectioned off for "Diamond Breakfast" area on one of our cruises.   Loved that location as it was quiet and as you said, very close to the kitchen but not so much that it was bothersome. 

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Is that the area that is separated by a short wall?  I believe they had that sectioned off for "Diamond Breakfast" area on one of our cruises.   Loved that location as it was quiet and as you said, very close to the kitchen but not so much that it was bothersome. 

Might have been a short curved wall  behind the  staircase I think. Much nicer sitting back there rather anywhere around the Captains Table in the center of the Dining room where it is much louder.

The area I'm talking about was in the middle back wall, so I believe there were entrances on both sides coming out of the dining room, therefore only waiter that walked by our table was our waiter. So  a very quiet area for sure.

I emailed my request on 10/1 for a table for 2 by window for our 10/29 sailing on Symphony.  On 10/5, they emailed me back stating that my request has been honored and gave me my table number. I was impressed with how fast I heard back from them. 

Edited by Vacation...Yes
  • Like 3