PCC relationship-building thoughts?

fieldsofclover

This has probably been done to death, and I know there's no "right" answer, just what's right for an individual person... but for those of you who work with a PCC, or tried it but maybe went back to doing your own thing, I'd be grateful for your input.

I've never worked with a travel agent and always booked everything direct - I don't mind getting into the details of things, and too much handholding from someone else makes me nervous (I suppose I have control issues 😅). I'm nowhere near retirement age but now I'm in a position to start cruising more over the next few years, so I figured that now might be a good time to establish a relationship with a PCC... if I'd be booking direct anyway, I'm assuming the cost would be the same but the PCC will get a commission out of it.

Since I'm eyeing the promo that ends today I was also checking the options on a certain west-coast-warehouse-club TA, but I called the PCC I've been receiving emails from (we haven't actually worked together yet) and left them a voice mail, and they returned my voice mail maybe 20 minutes later! I'm pleasantly surprised, they offered to extend the promo an extra day in case we couldn't connect right away, etc. 

I'm realistic about the fact that any PCC is an agent of the company and not an advocate on my behalf the way an outside TA would be, etc. but since I would probably just be booking direct anyway I don't feel like I'm losing any TA-style advantage or service I would be getting otherwise.

Anything huge I'm overlooking? Things I can ask them for/about that I wouldn't know otherwise?

As  I have family in the trade I do use a TA. I was not convinced about using one as I am a control freak and a bit of a free lancer.  The TA I now use is very good and sees angles I hadn’t considered.  So now I create a full booking and use the courtesy hold feature.  She then looks it over, we discuss it and she then takes it over and books it. Usually this mean she recreates the booking and I cancel the courtesy hold.  I still manage my own flights as I am super particular about that and my own hotels as well.  

She handles the intricacies of the cruise. I am a big fan of private drivers and if I need a driver while I am traveling she finds me the best people to meet up with. She has knowledge and competencies that are worth tapping. It is just like here o cruise critic where each of us have some little gem of knowledge 

I think those that use ta’s are more in need of hand holding.  The upside off a pcc is that you can email them and they know your preferences instead of sitting on the phone if you have an issue.  I know you can do that with a ta. You’ll get some that will come on here saying they save thousands using a ta.  What they leave out is that they are taking lengthy cruises.  You won’t be saving thousands on a 7 day unless you are in an expensive room.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

As  I have family in the trade I do use a TA.

The problem for me is I don't have anyone I'm close to who already has a local/regional TA they like, and expending a lot of energy on cold-calling/finding one online and rolling the dice over and over isn't something I want to spend time on... I would be more stressed about the trial-and-error situation than the potential money saved/spent.

If referrals were allowed here on CC, I would have probably tried a few out a long time ago, but it's against TOS so no leads to go on here.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, fieldsofclover said:

The problem for me is I don't have anyone I'm close to who already has a local/regional TA they like, and expending a lot of energy on cold-calling/finding one online and rolling the dice over and over isn't something I want to spend time on... I would be more stressed about the trial-and-error situation than the potential money saved/spent.

If referrals were allowed here on CC, I would have probably tried a few out a long time ago, but it's against TOS so no leads to go on here.

This is true and even with my family tie it took 3 prior TAs before I found one I liked. That is the beauty of the PCC system , it is non-committal and you can fit it transferred easily if you want.  

I agree with @Florida_gal_50about length of cruise.  I usually only book long cruises and a mistake can be large.  I don’t save any money except in that the TA monitors sales for me.    

I’ve tried working with a PCC and I am too much of a control freak for them. My last one broke up with me because I put a courtesy hold on a cruise over the weekend and according to her “didn’t give her a chance to help”. Oh boy! Too much drama for me. I asked HAL to not reassign another. 

I cruise solo and, unfortunately, am on a fairly tight budget because the fares are always double.  For many years, I have dealt with a TA at a "cruise only" travel agency.  When I finally discovered Cruise Critic, I learned about "upsells", which the TA never forwarded to me.  When I asked that they be forwarded to me, I wouldn't get them in a timely manner and missed out on some good ones.  I then switched to a PCC with mixed results.  The first PCC was very good but she left HAL and I am now dealing with someone who sounds very new and doesn't return my emails or calls in for at least 2 to 3 days.  Is that a reasonable time? I think I will try to book my next cruise without a PCC.

I don't think of my self as a "control freak" but up until the pandemic I usually booked cruises on my own. When bookings started getting cancelled due to Covid, I was overwhelmed trying to keep track of future cruise credits and promotional offers. At this point I figured that I could use a PCC in my corner to keep track of everything. He was very good at checking through all my bookings and providing me with an up to date accounting. Unfortunately he has also left HAL. My new PCC is very good and usually gets back to me within 24 hours to answer any questions. It is easier to communicate with him through email. I do miss the ability to call on weekends and talk directly to agents on the phone. Until things get pack to normal I don't see any real benefit to doing everything myself.

8 hours ago, dot73 said:

The first PCC was very good but she left HAL and I am now dealing with someone who sounds very new and doesn't return my emails or calls in for at least 2 to 3 days.  Is that a reasonable time? I think I will try to book my next cruise without a PCC.

I assume you mean business days?  If so then no that is not acceptable on a regular basis.  If my TA is away she has her messages forwarded to a trusted colleague.    There are a few gotchas and a few hidden tiers in pricing.  If you want to go it alone simply use a HAL reservationist to help you avoid some pitfalls.  I never book a non-refundable deposit unless it is super small and that with the changeable fare allows me flexibility to make a few mistakes.  Best bet is to book while onboard, the refundable deposit is so low and there are a few bonuses 

• Like 1

I’ve booked cruises on my own, have used a brick and mortar travel agent and, eventually, found a PCC with HAL that I really like.  The PCC has changed many cruises that I wanted to reschedule due to COVID.  She has learned what I do, and don’t, like regarding pre and post cruise stays.  What I REALLY like is she is very responsive to emails and, if I see a promo on HAL’s website, will run the numbers and either adjust my booking or tell me to stay with what I’ve got.  

• Like 1

I am a control freak and I use a TA. I do not do it he have my hand held. (I found that comment slightly derogatory). I do it because I get more perks and sometimes get group rates. (Money is money. <$$$/Cruise=>Cruises). He knows all the cruises that I am doing across all the cruise lines that I sail. He knows what I like. I do not have to explain to him which dining seating I want or other minutia that I prefer.

Not all travel agents are created equal, though. Find a good one and stick to that person. I find if I am clear about my expectations and pleasant and generally positive in my approach, I have a better relationship with the agent.

• Like 3

I mostly book my own travel arrangements online but do use the HAL PCC for some things. It works well for both the PCC and myself. The PCC  knows my likes and dislikes and will make recommendations. as well as help to resolve any issues that may have manifested during the booking process. I can email my PCC and will get a response within 24 hours or pick up the phone and call if it's urgent.  This works well for me (somewhat of a control freak) but may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Cheers

Couple questions regarding a PCC, please!  Are they typically more knowledgeable than the random customer service reps you get when you call? Are they able to make changes to bookings that regular reps cannot? And finally, how does ones acquire a PCC?  I did a search on the HAL website for PCCs and got a link to “request a PCC”, so I did. The email response instructed me to “create an HAL account online” - which I already did when I booked the cruise I need to discuss!  Any advice or suggestions?  Is it really advantageous to pursue this?  Thanks, all!

10 minutes ago, dixiejen said:

And finally, how does ones acquire a PCC?  I did a search on the HAL website for PCCs and got a link to “request a PCC”, so I did. The email response instructed me to “create an HAL account online” 

Have you looked in the dark blue title/banner at the top of any marketing you've gotten since you created your account? That is where the PCC you have been assigned will show, with their email and phone extension. Failing that, call 1-800-355-3017 and stay on through the menu to where you can "talk to a live person". Have your Mariner number and/or your booking number at hand. Ask if you already have a PCC (and for their contact info); if they say you haven't got one, ask to be assigned!

I will tell you a story. Some years ago, my final payment on a two-cabin "self" booking fell a few days before Christmas, which was either Sunday or Monday. I waited until Friday to cancel the cruises (because I really wanted to go, but the other couple didn't)... only to find that the office was closed and NO ONE was manning the phones. In desperation, I remembered that banner on some emails, and date stamped both email and phone message to my PCC (whom I had never had ANY contact with before that time!!!). It worked; she went up the chain of command and got my sizable deposits refunded!

• Like 2

Thank you, Crystalspin!  No luck finding a name or even an email address in any correspondence I’ve received. But thank you for sharing that number AND your personal experience!  I will definitely follow your advice and asked to be assigned a PCC.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

I’ve booked through TAs and directly.   I have a lot of travel experience and need little help,  but I’ve found in the past couple of years having a large TA in my corner to go to bat for me has paid off in way more than just the hundreds of dollars of rebates we’ve gotten.  
so something to consider if things go sideways. 

• Like 1

I used a search on the internet to get bids from TAs in effect competing for my business.  Did this after my long term TA retired.  Called three TAs and found one in Michigan - smaller - that called me back and has assisted with multiple bookings with group fares and extra OBC.  

Try the search to get competing bids.  Only took a few minutes.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:45 PM, crystalspin said:

Have you looked in the dark blue title/banner at the top of any marketing you've gotten since you created your account? That is where the PCC you have been assigned will show, with their email and phone extension.

Well, crystalspin — I found out why there was no PCC in any of my correspondence, and I feel I should share it here for anyone who might benefit from it!  I took your advice and called thePCC office.  A very friendly guy got my Mariner # and said, “Oh, yes!  I’m sorry you weren’t introduced to your PCC! Her name is xxxxxxxx and her extension is xxxx. She’s in today — I’ll transfer you to her!”  A lady came on and informed me that the man really shouldn’t have transferred me, because I was NOT assigned a PCC because I booked my cruise online and that she’s not supposed to have anything to do with “on-line bookers”, only those who CALLED and booked directly with HAL.  I said, “Oh, I’m sorry. I had no idea. I mean, I did book it on the HAL website - not a third-party site.” She said it did not matter — you ONLY get a PCC when you CALL them. Sooooo, okay…now I know!  

She proceeded to tell me that she REALLY wasn’t supposed to do this and I REALLY was supposed to call customer service BUT (heavy sigh…) since I had her there, what questions do I have?  So yeah.  Felt rather like a scolded school child, but she did at least answer all my questions. She also told me that from here on out, she WOULD be my assigned PCC, so in the future, I should call her when I wanted to book our next cruise. 

So lesson learned — I will call next time to qualify for the honor of having a PCC. Based on your experience, crystalspin, I definitely think it’s worth a phone call! Thanks again for the advice!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dixiejen said:

Well, crystalspin — I found out why there was no PCC in any of my correspondence, and I feel I should share it here for anyone who might benefit from it!  I took your advice and called thePCC office.  A very friendly guy got my Mariner # and said, “Oh, yes!  I’m sorry you weren’t introduced to your PCC! Her name is xxxxxxxx and her extension is xxxx. She’s in today — I’ll transfer you to her!”  A lady came on and informed me that the man really shouldn’t have transferred me, because I was NOT assigned a PCC because I booked my cruise online and that she’s not supposed to have anything to do with “on-line bookers”, only those who CALLED and booked directly with HAL.  I said, “Oh, I’m sorry. I had no idea. I mean, I did book it on the HAL website - not a third-party site.” She said it did not matter — you ONLY get a PCC when you CALL them. Sooooo, okay…now I know!  

She proceeded to tell me that she REALLY wasn’t supposed to do this and I REALLY was supposed to call customer service BUT (heavy sigh…) since I had her there, what questions do I have?  So yeah.  Felt rather like a scolded school child, but she did at least answer all my questions. She also told me that from here on out, she WOULD be my assigned PCC, so in the future, I should call her when I wanted to book our next cruise. 

So lesson learned — I will call next time to qualify for the honor of having a PCC. Based on your experience, crystalspin, I definitely think it’s worth a phone call! Thanks again for the advice!

My PCC almost had a coronary the other day when she thought I was going to book a cruise on the site. I told her I have been booking cruises with her for 15 years. I would never book a cruise not using her. I know you are not allowed to mention names of PCC's here but by any chance does the first name of your PCC begin with "V"?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dixiejen said:

Nope, Laminator…starts with a B!  But your post further convinces me that I’ll be giving B a ringy-dingy next time!!  Is this a HAL thing or do other cruise lines have something comparable to the PCC??

Carnival has PVP (personal vacation planner) and Princess has CVP (maybe Certified Vacation Planner?). These are all under the Carnival umbrella, but I can't tell you why they don't all use the same terminology. (Other than the HAL telephone recording that tells you in sultry tones that "Holland American is Home of the Personal Cruise Consultant", i.e. Branding.)

ETA: my Carnival PVP let me book a non-refundable deposit for next year. My HAL PCC would NEVER let me do that (without telling me and giving me options), so all Cruise Line Helpers (CLH haha) are not the same. 

I sailed one time with Royal Caribbean. I booked on line and was able to take advantage of multiple "dynamic pricing" markdowns and specials online, on my own. I never saw or was contacted by anything like a PCC, but on the other hand, neither were you on HAL. Maybe someone will come along with the final word on that line!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

I will not lecture or suggest that folks should use a PCC (we do not) or a cruise agent.  But I will post some very specific facts that might give some fruit for thought.  We have two HAL bookings (both made through a reputable high volume cruise agency we have used for years with many different cruise lines)  The prices and amenity packages offered by HAL are exactly the same whether we had booked through a PCC or the cruise agency.  But what is different is that our 14 day booking comes with $775 of On Board Credit and our 28 day booking comes with a $1675 OBC.  Those OBCs are provided by our cruise agency (not HAL) and are fully refundable (if we did not use it all we would get it back from HAL).  So the bottom line is that with those two cruises we are saving $2450 because we are using a cruise agency.   I would also add that it is possible to book with a PCC, transfer the booking to a cruise agency, and "perhaps" get the extra OBC provided by some agencies.  As a rule we do not play this transfer game because it adds steps and we see no advantage over simply booking through the agency (which we can do with a few clicks of the mouse, a phone call, or an e-mail).

Just another thought.  Although we always use one of our preferred cruise agencies (because it saves us money and we get amazing customer service) we handle our own Flightease Air direct with HAL.  HAL's system allows us to book our own air through the HAL web site (and our HAL account) where we can look at all the various flight options and make our choice.  If we have issues with the air we can call HAL and they will work with us (only on the air since anything related the cruise should be handled by our cruise agent).  Once we make our air selections (online) with HAL, HAL forwards the confirmations to our cruise agency so they are aware of what we are doing and the changes in final payments (due to the air).

Hank

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 10/14/2022 at 10:45 PM, crystalspin said:

Have you looked in the dark blue title/banner at the top of any marketing you've gotten since you created your account? That is where the PCC you have been assigned will show, with their email and phone extension....

I just followed your advice (I have a recent booking, and wanted to see about getting some inside assistance). I looked at an email I received last week, sent an email to her, and instantly received an auto-reply (from Mara):

Thank you for contacting me. I  have made the decision to leave Holland America Line and pursue another opportunity. It has been a pleasure to work with you. Thank you for allowing me to help plan your cruise vacations and build lifetime memories.

I had initially searched out an older email from them (last year), and my reply to her bounced back ... no longer with the company.

TWO STRIKES...

I'm not confident that a randomly assigned (probably newbie) will be a lot of help. Can anyone recommend a good/reliable PCC?

THANKS

Tom

ps... anyone noticing that some threads (this one included) are too wide to be viewed without minimizing the whole page? (using CHROME)

10 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Can anyone recommend a good/reliable PCC?

Unfortunately we are not allowed to name our PCCs on this forum.  And that's too bad, 'cause I've had the same one for 13 years!!!  He's AWESOME! 

• Like 1