Entertainment

doowopbob

Have a quick question regarding late night entertainment.  This is our first Viking cruise.  We just got off a back to back Regent cruise we enjoyed very much.  After the show (if we bothered) we would always go into the club where they had a duo playing each night.  They were wonderful singers.  Does Viking have anything like this or is it just a couple of band members playing instruments ?

In Torshavn beginning at 9 pm there is some sort of music.  If the Viking Band is not part of the Star Theatre that night, they will be playing in Torshavn early.  If they are part of the "show" then they start in Torshavn at 10:30 or so.  Often the resident guitarist will play there when it opens until the band arrives.  People drink and dance.  

• Like 1

From what I could tell from the opening night show (the only one I attended), our cruise had two vocal groups, the 2-person Torshavn pair (man and woman) and the 4-person Star theater group (2 men, 2 women). They had small backup bands. This was in addition to the guitarist in the Explorer Lounge and the classical duo and pianist in the Living Room. 

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m not a fan of cruise ship entertainment, so I’m not disappointed with what little Viking has to offer. One thing Viking does provide is music in several venues throughout the day, and IMHO that music is really bad. I grew up listening to 60s and 70s rock, jazz and blues, and a bit of classical, still do. So I’m solidly in Viking’s target age demographic, and after 8 days I’m real tired of listening to nothing but pop music and old show tunes all day and into the night. It is mind numbingly boring.

Edited by jc522

25 minutes ago, jc522 said:

I’m not a fan of cruise ship entertainment, so I’m not disappointed with what little Viking has to offer. One thing Viking does provide is music in several venues throughout the day, and IMHO that music is really bad. I grew up listening to 60s and 70s rock, jazz and blues, and a bit of classical, still do. So I’m solidly in Viking’s target age demographic, and after 8 days I’m real tired of listening to nothing but pop music and old show tunes all day and into the night. It is mind numbingly boring.

Yes, you’ve told us this on another thread.

Our policy is to find out where the band and or singers are performing then be sure to be somewhere else. 

The pianist and guitarist are usually not to bad, the string lot are good but are stuck with a tedious (as in only one repeated a lot) set

I might have spoken too soon. Tonight they did Dancing Under The Stars. A rousing 3 hours of disco, and of course Sweet Caroline, Proud Mary and YMCA, followed by a line dance and a conga line. Fortunately there were no heart attacks or strokes.

Edited by jc522
  • Haha 3

Dancing under the stars(or moon in our case)on Viking Sky last week was fabulous.

I’m not a dancing kind of person usually but the exuberant Joseph of the singing group tempted me up and onto the conga line.😂😂😂

The leader of the Viking band ,their trumpet player ,has to be heard to be believed .

In fact every single member of the entertainment staff was phenomenal.

The best team yet.Thankyou all for great nights aboard.

9F48CAAD-4B6B-4E94-A773-12EBC494893C.jpeg

D906E430-FB5A-4640-8DA2-DF424654E401.jpeg

35F7AFDE-294C-440B-BF3B-498085B9882A.jpeg

A5304E30-F74D-423B-8D14-AAFFC53B9CD2.jpeg

6C845CD0-F6F7-477B-9E5D-B4E12F610DB7.jpeg

• Like 2

Don't often partake in the entertainment.  We are early to bed people and after 9:00 (generally) the only thing I am looking at is the inside of my eyelids.  I did, however, catch a post on another site from someone on the Neptune crossing the Atlantic.  He/she (I was killing time in the vet's office so not sure and can't find the post again) claimed that they had changed the entertainment and there were no ABBA or Beatles shows!  What!?!?!  I have seen each once or twice and, although perhaps a bit hokey, enjoyed them.  We board Neptune in three days so I can find out for myself!  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

Don't often partake in the entertainment.  We are early to bed people and after 9:00 (generally) the only thing I am looking at is the inside of my eyelids.  I did, however, catch a post on another site from someone on the Neptune crossing the Atlantic.  He/she (I was killing time in the vet's office so not sure and can't find the post again) claimed that they had changed the entertainment and there were no ABBA or Beatles shows!  What!?!?!  I have seen each once or twice and, although perhaps a bit hokey, enjoyed them.  We board Neptune in three days so I can find out for myself!  Stay tuned.

We were on the Neptune last month.  I can happily concur that the Abba and Beatle shows are history.

• Like 2

On Viking Sky 11-26 to 12-6-22 they did Abba, Beatles and Dancing Under the Stars. We found them all enjoyable enough.

However, while watching Dancing Under the Stars I was simply sitting in the chair (not tipping it back or doing anything unusual) and the left side of the chair fell off, the whole chair collapsed and I ended up on the floor. Luckily no injuries. The next day they did sent some macarons and called to make sure I was ok.

13 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What also hasn't been considered is that if you do get them on the ship and use them on board you might get in real trouble with the ship security people.

DON

Perhaps meant for the Christmas Crackers thread? 🍺🥌

4 hours ago, MikeyB said:

We were on the Neptune last month.  I can happily concur that the Abba and Beatle shows are history.

What?? We'll be on the Neptune in May for the British Isles Explorer cruise with a stop in Liverpool  No Beatles show, not even the night before or night of our visiting Liverpool? 😉