Having an Adventure on the Venture

SailorJack

We are off the coast of South America with 145 or so other passengers. That’s correct - only about 150 passengers aboard and every one of us are having a great time. We are not as well travelled as most of you, but this is the most elegant ship we have ever salled upon. Those of you who have booked a cruise on the Venture  have a great deal to forward to. I know you are not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition, but I have done twice in a row - sorry!

Great news - as of today the crew will no longer have to wear masks! I suspect there was a big party down stairs last night.

Jack

• Like 5

My husband and I will be on the Holiday Antarctic Cruise this December.  I have two questions:  1) Are there binoculars in the cabins?  2)  Do I pack beanies?  Some of the Artic cruisers said they got beanies, but in my paperwork it doesn't say they are included.  I'm trying to keep luggage to a minimum, and even though beanies don't take up much room, it's still something.  Thanks for your help.  I will probably have more questions.

There were binoculars in our suite in Greenland, a nice 8X Swarovski (with the note that if we wanted the "convenience" of taking those, rather than buying a pair from the shop, the retail would be added to our account).

We also received beanies, which were different from those we had received in Antarctica.  As they say, YBMV - your beanies may vary!

@SailorJack We too would love to know more about your experience on the Venture as we will be on an Antarctic cruise on her in 2023.  So if you have the time please do post more about your experience, zodiac excursions, lectures, expedition team. etc.   Hope you continue to have a great time.

This is our third day on the ship and they have all been sea days.  Our first excursion is not till tomorrow.  However, we get off in Lima, Peru - way before the cold water adventures begin.  S o I really won’t be able to answer all of your question. All of our ports are warm water ones so no beanies.  There are binoculars in the cabins.

There was some discussion on another thread about smoking and I can attest that after three days aboard the only smoking I have seen is my smoking hot wife!😄

Jack

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

There were binoculars in our suite in Greenland, a nice 8X Swarovski (with the note that if we wanted the "convenience" of taking those, rather than buying a pair from the shop, the retail would be added to our account).

We also received beanies, which were different from those we had received in Antarctica.  As they say, YBMV - your beanies may vary!

THANKS!  For sure - I won't pack binoculars.  Since YBMV, I better pack one.

33 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Miraflores,  things a bit cloudy again

FB575343-623B-4B71-BD84-13D34B70BFC2.jpeg

A6EB220A-3B94-449B-9A29-0603634960BD.jpeg

The rain has been off and on. But it cleared up at noon and we were all able to dine outside behind the  Colonade. The ship made the crossing memorable by having staff circulating with trays of assorted refreshments, barbecuing kabobs on the back deck, and providing a running commentary on what we were seeing. We are now through the canal and heading for Our first Pacific port.

thanks for the photos.very cool!

Jack

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SailorJack said:

The ship was finally able to launch the submarines yesterday and apparently the results were not good.

The ship HAS launced the submarines on earlier itineraries.  I think some of the passengers have been disappointed in what they have seen in terms of sea life, but enjoyed the experience of the submarine.  Did something different happen?

29 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Eeeek. Not good? Hope you weren't on it.😃  I hope it didn't sink like the drone did when we were on board.🤣

Saw that Joe Cochram is in bird heaven. 

We were not on it. A couple of people who were said they are thinking of asking for a refund.

18 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

The submarine in Greenland was an interesting experience and we are glad we did it. However there was not much to see and we canceled our other excursions. Our friends did go on a few more and said it was better.

That seemed to be the major complaint- nothing to see.  No fish, no coral, just some sand,  the other issue  according to some was that the sub only went down about 50 or 60 feet and just hovered. Scuba divers gol lower than that said one person,

Again, I have no personal knowledge of this - just what some sub passengers are saying. Apparently there were nine dives yesterday and some were a little better with one person saying they did see a little fish off in the distance.

Edited by SailorJack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, now passengers who can afford to spend almost 1K each are complaining that they didn’t see anything!    Guess Seabourn needs to get Disney’s help so sea life can be staged along submarine dives and routes.    There has never been a guarantee of seeing wildlife on excursions.    The passengers on the submarines can still say they were in a submarine at a depth of 300 meters so they have bragging rights.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Interesting, now passengers who can afford to spend almost 1K each are complaining that they didn’t see anything!    Guess Seabourn needs to get Disney’s help so sea life can be staged along submarine dives and routes.    There has never been a guarantee of seeing wildlife on excursions.    The passengers on the submarines can still say they were in a submarine at a depth of 300 meters so they have bragging rights.

They were actually at 15 to 20 meters but point taken.