Moreton Island Stop.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

No. The ships don't stay overnight. I have also read that the feeding the dolphins activity is restricted to guests staying at the resort.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

No. The ships don't stay overnight. I have also read that the feeding the dolphins activity is restricted to guests staying at the resort.

Could be.  I stayed at the resort.  Could the cruise ships cruise around Moreton Island and watch the sunset and sunrise.  I get cranky when ships just sail straight away from an island when I know how beautiful it is. 

I disregard any cruises which depart Tahiti before midnight because their island nights are spectacular and Tahitians are night people.  We caught le truck back to wharf after an island night. 

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Could be.  I stayed at the resort.  Could the cruise ships cruise around Moreton Island and watch the sunset and sunrise.  I get cranky when ships just sail straight away from an island when I know how beautiful it is. 

I disregard any cruises which depart Tahiti before midnight because their island nights are spectacular and Tahitians are night people.  We caught le truck back to wharf after an island night. 

They don't cruise around the island, as it isn't navigable - they just hang on the Moreton Bay side, or cruise by at a wide distance on the ocean side. 

13 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They don't cruise around the island, as it isn't navigable - they just hang on the Moreton Bay side, or cruise by at a wide distance on the ocean side. 

Thought they'd be protected where the wrecks are in bad weather.  

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Thought they'd be protected where the wrecks are in bad weather.  

If they could get to the south side of Moreton Island, that would become the shipping lane from the south into Brisbane. All ocean ships enter Moreton Bay from the north. Very shallow between North Stradbroke and Moreton Islands.

• Like 1

Is there anything to do there for those not particularly adventure minded (and physically incapable of being so)?

I have a day there on Carnival Splendor but unless there's something interesting I was probably going to enjoy the slightly emptier ship!

6 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

Is there anything to do there for those not particularly adventure minded (and physically incapable of being so)?

I have a day there on Carnival Splendor but unless there's something interesting I was probably going to enjoy the slightly emptier ship!

If there is a 4wd bus tour of the island, it is a beautiful island to tour - Cape Moreton Lighthouse, Tangalooma Desert,. Blue Lagoon and the eastern beaches.  It used to be a whaling station.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2022 at 9:52 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

If the weather is good, try to get a 4WD excursion that takes in the lighthouse and the ocean beach. If you want something more relaxing, just walk along the endless beach either north or south from the resort. There is excellent snorkeling just to the north around the Wrecks. You can snorkel to them from the beach, but for me the channel is a bit wide and deep.

If we take a walk along the beach, would we be able to stop somewhere along the way to enjoy a couple of hours and take a swim?  Looking for an easy beach day on our own since the Tangalooma Resort Moreton Island website says the "Casual Visitor Pass Booking" for non-resort guests is suspended until further notice. 

On 10/17/2022 at 2:43 PM, Aus Traveller said:

In a former life as Flight Attendant we often served BARRAMUNDI in First and Business Class. Tourists didn't know what Barra was, so half way through then eating the fish,  I told them it was that Barramundi was the local name for Dolphin.  100% shock rate success.

2 hours ago, flwinejunkie said:

If we take a walk along the beach, would we be able to stop somewhere along the way to enjoy a couple of hours and take a swim?  Looking for an easy beach day on our own since the Tangalooma Resort Moreton Island website says the "Casual Visitor Pass Booking" for non-resort guests is suspended until further notice. 

Tangalooma Resort has the lease of only a small part of Moreton Island.  Further along the beach there are private holiday houses.  So you can walk along the beach wherever the ship allows.  However, I wouldn't swim on Moreton Island because a lot of sharks have been photographed around the wrecks.  

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 3:43 AM, Aus Traveller said:

There is an expensive tour for this from the ship after all aboard so only a few take part

5 hours ago, flwinejunkie said:

Day visit at Moreton Island includes access to Tangalooma resort. Carnival/P&O have a separate arrangement for access there which doesn't require booking a casual visitor pass.

Otherwise, there is a lot more to Moreton Island than Tangalooma, including nice spots to swim. Not much in the way of amenities though.

Tangalooma resort has a deal with cruise ships to have acess to all resorts facilities and has a cat also tendering. And ship stays packing up thair small tenders while dolphin feeding tour is on and cat drops you back to ship  after sun set . Shipping channel and anchorage is on resort side of Moreton Island. 20221017_172845.thumb.jpg.dc1d76488db0abe579af0403a86e6010.jpg20221017_172854.thumb.jpg.acc9319c777f691fcebc6f86a4c1eddf.jpg20220629_094300.thumb.jpg.aff1d3380ca651c8be60e88b4ea14d4b.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Tangalooma resort has a deal with cruise ships to have acess to all resorts facilities and has a cat also tendering. And ship stays packing up thair small tenders while dolphin feeding tour is on and cat drops you back to ship  after sun set . Shipping channel and anchorage is on resort side of Moreton Island. 

Thanks arxcards and Hogbay for the Tangalooma resort clarification!!   

We'll hang out at the resort and go on their shipwreck snorkel tour.  Someone mentioned the channel from the beach to the wrecks is wide and deep so I rather save my energy for the shipwreck.

I compared Carnival's excursions to the resort tours, and they're exactly the same except Carnival charges an extra dollar.  I rather give my $ to the resort since they're giving us access to their facilities.

Thanks!!

Mary

• Like 1

When we called into Moreton Island on a cruise ship we were told by staff at Tangalooma Resort that, as we were off the cruise ship, we were unable to book tours through the resort.

That was a few years ago so things may have changed but might be worthwhile clarifying this beforehand.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, valantine80 said:

When we called into Moreton Island on a cruise ship we were told by staff at Tangalooma Resort that, as we were off the cruise ship, we were unable to book tours through the resort.

That was a few years ago so things may have changed but might be worthwhile clarifying this beforehand.

Hmmm.... maybe that's why Carnival's excursions are exactly the same as the ones at Tangalooma Resort.  We can't book anything until we're actually on the ship.  But that will probably give the resort advance notice of the demand for each excursion instead of being overwhelmed by cruisers looking for excursions once they get off the ship.