Moreton Island Stop.

HAL have just made a change to Sydney/Singapore cruise 3/1/2023. They have deleted Newcastle (no loss for me as a local but others may be disappointed) and substituted Moreton Island which I now know will be a tender port for Brisbane. Does anyone know where the tenders drop off? (Flat earthers don't have to answer this).

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

HAL have just made a change to Sydney/Singapore cruise 3/1/2023. They have deleted Newcastle (no loss for me as a local but others may be disappointed) and substituted Moreton Island which I now know will be a tender port for Brisbane. Does anyone know where the tenders drop off? (Flat earthers don't have to answer this).

That would be Tangalooma I would say, very nice.

You will tender from ship direct to Tangalooma Resort, Moreton Island.  Visited there recently and it is a stunning destination.   Beautifully set up for all visitors to the island and so many activities you can choose from,  paid and free.  You will not be disappointed.   Checkout website for the island and Tangalooma Resort for all activities available.   You can pay for everything on the island but try to get there early to get your pick. 

• Thanks 1

I will add that if you wanted to go to Brissie it would be quite tricky.  A large catamaran boat does travel from island to a dock in Brisbane river but you would need get taxi etc into Brisbane city from there... then do in reverse.  The big CAT does take about 45 minutes both ways and I don't believe there are many trips each day.   And you would definitely have to prebook both trips.  So,  probably not worth the hassle.  The island and resort outshines Brisbane city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s the place,  no flat earthers though.

I think they use to call them the white shoe brigade up around that area.
But it’s a lovely place.

No. White Shoe Brigade at Tangalooma. Several decades ago, the White Shoe Brigade were involved in developments on the northern part of the Gold Coast.

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

They have deleted Newcastle (no loss for me as a local but others may be disappointed) and substituted Moreton Island which I now know will be a tender port for Brisbane.

You've won the port swap lottery. No disrespect to Newcastle, but Moreton Island does have it beat. It's about 20km east of the mouth of the Brisbane River. There are ferries from there back to Brisbane, but really you would not bother.

As has been said, you are tendered to the wharf at the Tangalooma Resort on Moreton. It's slightly run down, but an excellent place from which to get tours and excursions across the island. These can be booked at the kiosk near the wharf.

If the weather is good, try to get a 4WD excursion that takes in the lighthouse and the ocean beach. If you want something more relaxing, just walk along the endless beach either north or south from the resort. There is excellent snorkeling just to the north around the Wrecks. You can snorkel to them from the beach, but for me the channel is a bit wide and deep.

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

No. White Shoe Brigade at Tangalooma. Several decades ago, the White Shoe Brigade were involved in developments on the northern part of the Gold Coast.

I thought white shoe brigade was a blanket coverage for all Queensland developers. 
One thing you have to give them they got the job done .

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The White Shoe Brigade referred to Mike Gore (I think that was his name) and his associates.

I think this is getting a bit out of my league, this is hardcore Queensland politics.
James Tooehey rings a bell ,Big Russ (minster for everything) 

Nope  ,I’m getting into deep water .

It was my understanding that ‘white shoe brigade’ was a generic term from a few years back that referred to retired folk who lived in retirement villages in Florida & Arizona, & perhaps Gold Coast, as they seemingly all wore white shoes??

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

It was my understanding that ‘white shoe brigade’ was a generic term from a few years back that referred to retired folk who lived in retirement villages in Florida & Arizona, & perhaps Gold Coast, as they seemingly all wore white shoes??

That might have been where the term White Shoe Brigade originated, but with regard to Queensland, it was used several decades ago with reference to some real estate developers on the GC.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That might have been where the term White Shoe Brigade originated, but with regard to Queensland, it was used several decades ago with reference to some real estate developers on the GC.

Yes, Mike Gore was #1 cardholder of the white shoe brigade (coat, no tie, white shoes, gold chains etc). Outspoken and flamboyant bunch of developers, but very much conservative when it came to politics and backing Joh.

25 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yes, Mike Gore was #1 cardholder of the white shoe brigade (coat, no tie, white shoes, gold chains etc). Outspoken and flamboyant bunch of developers, but very much conservative when it came to politics and backing Joh.

Yes. The term "White Shoe Brigade" was always used a bit derisively.😁 And then it became on the nose.

41 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

To put it more bluntly it was a cabal of corrupt developers who paid to have the Joh government in their back pocket.

40 years ago you could have got locked up for that Mr Porter.

Like them or not they got things done .

Edited by Chiliburn

Moreton Island, the third largest sand island, is spectacularly beautiful.  It is much more than Tangalooma Resort where we flew for our honeymoon.  In Primary school, I visited the still active whaling station, so it has history.

For solitude, you can explore the sand hills or walk along the beautiful long sand beach.  A lot of Brisbane people have holiday houses there.  A tour of the island has a lot to offer in scenery.  Swimming and snorkelling around the wrecks is popular.  But watch out for the sharks!  This is an excellent port for those who can tender.

17 hours ago, mr walker said:

Parramatta Road Car salesmen? 

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2022 at 12:52 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

You've won the port swap lottery. No disrespect to Newcastle, but Moreton Island does have it beat. It's about 20km east of the mouth of the Brisbane River. There are ferries from there back to Brisbane, but really you would not bother.

As has been said, you are tendered to the wharf at the Tangalooma Resort on Moreton. It's slightly run down, but an excellent place from which to get tours and excursions across the island. These can be booked at the kiosk near the wharf.

If the weather is good, try to get a 4WD excursion that takes in the lighthouse and the ocean beach. If you want something more relaxing, just walk along the endless beach either north or south from the resort. There is excellent snorkeling just to the north around the Wrecks. You can snorkel to them from the beach, but for me the channel is a bit wide and deep.

That channel has some very strong currents as well.

22 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

That channel has some very strong currents as well.

Do the ships, where Moreton Island is the only port, stay overnight.  I seem to remember you feed the wild dolphins at dusk.  That is really special, waiting in knee depth water, for them to come to you!

Actually Moreton Island is so beautiful it deserves 2-3 days minimum.  You can fly there in a small plane or take a local ferry.  Or cruise ships could stay a couple of days.  I have stayed at Tangalooma on a package which included whale watching boat trip. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Do the ships, where Moreton Island is the only port, stay overnight.  I seem to remember you feed the wild dolphins at dusk.  That is really special, waiting in knee depth water, for them to come to you!

Actually Moreton Island is so beautiful it deserves 2-3 days minimum.  You can fly there in a small plane or take a local ferry.  Or cruise ships could stay a couple of days.  I have stayed at Tangalooma on a package which included whale watching boat trip. 

No. The ships don't stay overnight. I have also read that the feeding the dolphins activity is restricted to guests staying at the resort.