Ocean Cay

tofubeast

First time visiting Ocean Cay. (Not sailing YC.) What’s the best swimming spot to spend the day? How about for snorkeling? 

I know from experience on Castaway Cay and Coco Cay, many tend to park at that first beach. Sometimes it’s better to walk a bit away from the crowd. 

What say you about Ocean Cay? Any and all tips appreciated. 

• Like 1

Bimini Beach was quiet and great for swimming when we were there in 2019.

You can see pictures and more details about the island here (Starting at post 131) - the link should take you to the right page in the trip report:

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The island is so well laid out that I think you’ll find that it doesn’t feel crowded. Even the food stands and bars are spread around. Agree that walking in a bit you’ll discover some great little areas. 

Yes.  I agree with this. 

Snorkelling isn't great anywhere.  I did the Lighthouse Beach area and the lagoon. Absolutely nothing in the lagoon that day but it wasn't clear, we had had some heavy rain.  Lifeguards told me that there are sea turtles that live in there. 
A few small fish at Lighthouse Beach.  Nothing spectacular. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was one of the first off the ship this past Saturday so I just went to the Lighthouse Beach, grabbed a nice Adirondack chair, an umbrella and a table near the bar and enjoyed the morning. 

Just a word of warning though.  I saw people coming off the ship around 10:30 and getting mad because all the good seating and umbrellas were taken.  If you want the free umbrellas on this beach, get there early.

Picture is from the Lighthouse Bar.

IMG_3929.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep in mind the closest beach to the ship is the furthest walk from the island buffet which is pretty good and serves some different food.  The food trucks serving quick burgers and stuff are always accessible.  Snorkeling was decent when I went.   Both sides along the rocks are good and if you go out to the floating fence you will see some bigger ones.   Bring some pelletized fish food to lure out the fish near the rocks!

1 hour ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Keep in mind the closest beach to the ship is the furthest walk from the island buffet which is pretty good and serves some different food.  The food trucks serving quick burgers and stuff are always accessible.  Snorkeling was decent when I went.   Both sides along the rocks are good and if you go out to the floating fence you will see some bigger ones.   Bring some pelletized fish food to lure out the fish near the rocks!

I hated the food at the buffet (with the exception of the jerk chicken.  It wasn't spicy but it was tasty). It looked like at least on the food trucks the burgers were cooked fresh.  Next time I'm there I will either get a burger or go back to the ship. 

46 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I hated the food at the buffet (with the exception of the jerk chicken.  It wasn't spicy but it was tasty). It looked like at least on the food trucks the burgers were cooked fresh.  Next time I'm there I will either get a burger or go back to the ship. 

Yes, the chicken was good.  They also have cookies there which are hard to find on the ship and an arugala, sweet potato, goat cheese salad with balsamic glaze that is divine.   

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Yes, the chicken was good.  They also have cookies there which are hard to find on the ship and an arugala, sweet potato, goat cheese salad with balsamic glaze that is divine.   

Oh they didn't have that salad when I was there.  Not that I saw.  Sounds good. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tofubeast said:

It was mentioned above to go early for seating with umbrellas. I thought you had to rent an umbrella?  If that’s the case, can we do the rental onboard the ship? (We aren’t YC)

The umbrellas at lighthouse beach are free, but first come, first served.  Otherwise you can pay $15 or so to rent one, which you can arrange for onboard.

2 hours ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

The umbrellas at lighthouse beach are free, but first come, first served.  Otherwise you can pay $15 or so to rent one, which you can arrange for onboard.

Yes.  It's a little cheaper to rent them ahead of time.  We didn't realize this and rented for two days.  The first day we ended up on Lighthouse Beach with a free umbrella.  But back then we were also sailing at like 40%. 

Also the rented umbrellas were for the lagoon beach.  There was nothing to set them up with on Lighthouse Beach.  We didn't realize that. Some of the other beaches were closed so not sure if there is normally a base for it set up at other beaches. 

Edited by 1kaper

3 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Yes.  It's a little cheaper to rent them ahead of time.  We didn't realize this and rented for two days.  The first day we ended up on Lighthouse Beach with a free umbrella.  But back then we were also sailing at like 40%. 

Also the rented umbrellas were for the lagoon beach.  There was nothing to set them up with on Lighthouse Beach.  We didn't realize that. Some of the other beaches were closed so not sure if there is normally a base for it set up at other beaches. 

Ahhh, another reason to go YC.  All are set up and available most of the day on their beach no extra charge.  Towels are already on the chair.

I think I am going to like my first time in YC in January.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FireEater said:

Ahhh, another reason to go YC.  All are set up and available most of the day on their beach no extra charge.  Towels are already on the chair.

I think I am going to like my first time in YC in January.

I will just warn you, it is addictive....... I've been in therapy since mine.... all i can do is look for a low rate and book again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

"I will just warn you, it is addictive..."

Honestly, though, I think we'll be okay when we hit Diamond and book an Aurea spot on a pre-YC ship from the Musica or Lirica classes. Many, though not all, niceties from YC would be covered.

I'm really curious about one thing in particular: Do the ships from those two classes serve afternoon low tea in one of the lounges? I posted a topic asking for hints on how YCers improve their experience on ships from "Before Yacht Club," but I received no replies. 

4 hours ago, Gatordad1967 said:

I will just warn you, it is addictive....... I've been in therapy since mine.... all i can do is look for a low rate and book again.

Lucky (or not) for me neither of my cruising partners are interested in YC 😒

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, no1talks said:

Honestly, though, I think we'll be okay when we hit Diamond and book an Aurea spot on a pre-YC ship from the Musica or Lirica classes. Many, though not all, niceties from YC would be covered.

This is an interesting question. Now that the 5-ship mix in US will include a Pre-YC ship, first one Magnifica. What will happen with Ocean House and the Yacht Club Beach, when they visit Ocean Cay. With that whole area staffed by YC from the ship, will it just not be used? We currently only sail YC ships, we might consider a 3 or 4 day Aurea on Magnifica if the Ocean Cay experience were upgraded.

On second thought, nah!!!   😀