Power adapter thats allowed on ship

8 minutes ago, villager70 said:

Hi cruisers: have seen photos of this many times but now since Ive come into the   modern era need to find one with multi outlets and a couple of usb  ports.  Thanks in advance .   Bob & Nancy

The problem is that most units that have both power outlets and USB ports also have surge protection, which is not allowed, and frankly dangerous, on ships.  Search for one that claims "no surge protection" and double check that there is no "VPN" number in the fine print on the back of the unit.  VPN is the measure of how well a surge protector protects electronics.  Some so-called "cruise approved" (there is no such thing) multi-outlets have claimed no surge protection, but had a VPN visible in advertising copy.

• Like 2

You could try something like this, but it's anyone's guess if you'll get away with it.  I would keep it in your carry-on and be prepared to show them that it's not a surge protector.

Do you need multiple outlets for multiple phones / iPads / etc?  You might consider one of these.  I have one, and I can highly recommend it.  One bonus is that if you have a newer laptop (that charges over USB C), this can usually replace your existing charger.

--bruce T.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roseoftx said:

I searched the topic and found articles that said RC doesn't allow any kind of extension cord on it like the one you show?  Hopefully, just something created by the people that sell ones that are not corded? 

This is correct.  RCI does not allow anything with a cord and power outlets.  "Pure" USB hubs, which can charge up to 7 or more devices, are allowed with a cord, since the power output is limited.  My best solution is a plug adapter to adapt the 220v outlet to US 110v, then a "pure" USB hub for any electronics.  This frees up any and all US110v outlets for things like hair dryers, or things that don't use a USB port.  If absolutely necessary, bring a simple rubber "outlet splitter" that has one male plug and 3 female plugs.

• Like 1

I would recommend a USB power hub of some kind. Don't risk a power strip.

A laptop could even stand in for this job if it has enough ports.

On a funny note, once I was on the Disney Wonder. They had just added USB ports to all the rooms. Ours was not working, however. Told the steward. When we came back, the outlet was completely replaced by a wall-mounted USB hub. 🤣

17 minutes ago, slyster said:

Yep, I brought two adapters just like this.  Everything we needed to plug in, except my laptop charger and my wife's curling iron are USB.

I also brought a USB-powered alarm clock that projects on the ceiling (much easier than rolling over the grab a phone) and one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V1H1P7L

My wife likes to have a nightlight in the bathroom and this worked perfectly - only had to recharge once all week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AtSeaAlways said:

As has been covered elsewhere, on ship's power, home surge supressor MOV parts tend to catch on fire.  So simple and basic is safest - no USB ports probably.  This one has been on several cruises lately.

16659402521704204975830389699909.jpg

First, I want to make this perfectly clear, I understand that you had it on several cruises, I'm not disputing that. 

Since it is corded, it could be considered an "Extension Cord", which is technically prohibited.  I'm speaking for me and me only, I wouldn't chance it.  There are too many other options out there.  You could POSSIBLY have this confiscated at the dock and not be able to use your devices or at least charge them efficiently/in a timely manner.  We are tech heavy and like to charge many items all at once. 

This is what I'm taking, 2 of, on my next cruise:

image.thumb.png.d4ace054f0735b88dd44cef3e5b74025.png

image.thumb.png.0fad5c2740c13b0bc38d5bfae8645d0b.png

I hope they fit in the space alright.  We'll see.  I've got back up though.

JMHO/YMMV

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

First, I want to make this perfectly clear, I understand that you had it on several cruises, I'm not disputing that. 

Since it is corded, it could be considered an "Extension Cord", which is technically prohibited.  I'm speaking for me and me only, I wouldn't chance it.  There are too many other options out there.  You could POSSIBLY have this confiscated at the dock and not be able to use your devices or at least charge them efficiently/in a timely manner.  We are tech heavy and like to charge many items all at once. 

image.thumb.png.d4ace054f0735b88dd44cef3e5b74025.png

image.thumb.png.0fad5c2740c13b0bc38d5bfae8645d0b.png

I hope they fit in the space alright.  We'll see.  I've got back up though.

JMHO/YMMV

This one might have an MOV in it.  And the space is tight. On the Grandeur, there are four outlets over the desk.  Two 115 V US style - a bit recessed.  And two Euro style.  A $2 two pin Euro to US style adapter converts these.  Most cell phone switching chargers are happy on 250V 50hz Euro power- read the label.   

The lines need to own this mess.  If you must carry a device - the lines must provide a way to charge them safely.  This is like filling guest water bottles.  A trivial engineering problem made difficult by tradition and stalling.  

The CLIA should design a simple cube tap and test/brand it - they might cost a dollar or two.  Or come up with a replacement outlet /charger.  

Edited by AtSeaAlways
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Your photo does not have a brand name visible, so I can't say for sure, but I found an identical one from "Bestten", and it clearly mentions "300 joules of protection", which is a measure of surge protection.  Before using on a ship, check the printing on the back (can't read it in the photo) to see if this is written there, and if so, it is surge protected, and is dangerous to use on ships.

13 minutes ago, AtSeaAlways said:

The lines need to own this mess.  If you must carry a device - the lines must provide a way to charge them safely.  This is like filling guest water bottles.  A trivial engineering problem made difficult by tradition and stalling.  

What mess?  As you point out, there are outlets available in the cabins for charging.  Is it the cruise lines' responsibility that you "need" a phone, tablet, e-reader, ear buds, and all the other "essentials" of modern life?  How many charging ports should be in each cabin?  What if I have more than that?  Do I complain?  "Tradition and stalling"?  Try cost to benefit analysis.  Does the benefit of water bottle filling stations and USB ports outweigh the cost of installing?

19 hours ago, AtSeaAlways said:

As has been covered elsewhere, on ship's power, home surge supressor MOV parts tend to catch on fire.  So simple and basic is safest - no USB ports probably.  This one has been on several cruises lately.

16659402521704204975830389699909.jpg

I agree with you that this should be OK... but I recently had this confiscated on Royal or Celebrity at check in :-0 Doesn't get much simpler than this!

10-17-2022 8-20-46 AM.jpg

Edited by adolfo2

Unless you need the actual 110 power, if you are looking to charge several phones, headphones or anything that uses a USB cord.  I use this (below).  I is a pig tail that will charge multiple devices from a single USB port. Charges my Andriod phone, Mrs Fan's iPhone, my wireless headphones while using a single USB port.  They come in other versions. This one has a MIcro USB connection, a USB-C connection and 2 iPhone Firewire connections.

AmazonSmile: Multi Charging Cable USAMS 2Pack 4FT 4 in 1 Nylon Braided Multiple USB Fast Charging Cord Adapter Type C Micro USB Port Connectors Compatible Cell Phones Tablets and More : Electronics

image.thumb.png.3c53c7b872ccdd9b028f3fdf2c21c7a8.png

44 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Your photo does not have a brand name visible, so I can't say for sure, but I found an identical one from "Bestten", and it clearly mentions "300 joules of protection", which is a measure of surge protection.  Before using on a ship, check the printing on the back (can't read it in the photo) to see if this is written there, and if so, it is surge protected, and is dangerous to use on ships.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get any better than the picture.  White on white, small, very small, and the raised printing seems to have been smashed down some.  I can't see the name of the manufacturer at all.  In the bottom block where it has the technical info, I don't see the word "joules" at all.  Not saying it's not there, I just don't see it or anything else that may be something to do with protection.  But then, I'm no electrician and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.  

The other two blocks of text, just next to the male plug, are just "cautionary".  One in English and the other in another language. 

I'm more concerned about its size.  The male plug doesn't swivel and I'm not sure how much room there is between the actual electric outlet and the desk.  So, I purchased this last night (I've been wanting one of these for a while anyway):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KXSJ3Z6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't see anything in the Tech Specs about anything to do with surge protections, not that I know what to look for in the Tech lexicon, anyway.  So, I hope it is good to go. 

So, with this purchase, I'll only bring one of the pictured items.  I'll have plenty of availability.  I'll put the larger white one in my checked baggage and the black one in my carry-on/backpack.  

This is what I usually carry:

Two of these:

image.png.6bc56ad788c315166f0652a0d2118b90.png

These: 

image.png.d35b0f4fedb117f912561660c08970c5.png

And these:

image.png.d71bf4f4ac6ed017e2fc18b6fafaa154.png

I only used one of the 120v cubes and the two USB bricks.  I had plenty of outlets for two phones, a laptop, a Kindle, and our rechargeable night light.  

I also brought a 10-foot USB cord for a phone on the far side of the bed.  

Edited by rudeney
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, villager70 said:

Hi cruisers: have seen photos of this many times but now since Ive come into the   modern era need to find one with multi outlets and a couple of usb  ports.  Thanks in advance .   Bob & Nancy

Go on Amazon and pick up a 4 to 12 port USB power hub. Anywhere from $12-$25. That's what I use for all my USB charging needs. (phone, gopro, kindle, camera batteries, etc...) Only takes up one plug for many devices.

As others have noted, most power strips without surge protection should be good, though follow  @chengkp75 advice on the power strips. They've shared a ton of great maritime advice across Cruise Critic and one of the best factual resources on these forums.