Live from Majestic Princess - 20th October 2022

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Do all the people who have Covid have a cough usually?

It's often not the most obvious symptom. Each of the variants seems to have a slightly different primary symptom. With the BA4/5 which I think was the one I had, it was very bad sore throat, headache, awful night sweats. Most people I knew had trouble breathing, nausea (vomiting). Coughing was there but mainly as a lingering minor issue. And when I say lingering, I mean weeks and months afterwards.

People of all ages that I spoke to all had awful symptoms. I do know of one woman in her 30's who had no symptoms while her huband and kids were all very sick (husband ended up having to see a cardiologist due to his cardiac symptoms).

4 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It's often not the most obvious symptom. Each of the variants seems to have a slightly different primary symptom. With the BA4/5 which I think was the one I had, it was very bad sore throat, headache, awful night sweats. Most people I knew had trouble breathing, nausea (vomiting). Coughing was there but mainly as a lingering minor issue. And when I say lingering, I mean weeks and months afterwards.

People of all ages that I spoke to all had awful symptoms. I do know of one woman in her 30's who had no symptoms while her huband and kids were all very sick (husband ended up having to see a cardiologist due to his cardiac symptoms).

I dont think a lot of people realise just how severe the symptons 

can be, especially for seniors or those with pre-existing health issues.  . 

My girlfriend was nursed in place in a convent, with medical people monitoring her condition on line.  She said she'd never been so sick. 

49 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I dont think a lot of people realise just how severe the symptons 

can be, especially for seniors or those with pre-existing health issues.  . 

My girlfriend was nursed in place in a convent, with medical people monitoring her condition on line.  She said she'd never been so sick. 

I had wonderful daily monitoring on-line and a daily phone call from a Health Dept nurse. I think it might even have been a hospital in the home thing. I even had a call one day from an intensive care nurse because they were worried about me. The Vic health dept has been doing a wonderful job.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A bit of basic health etiquette, like wearing masks properly in crowded venues, would also help. 

I doubt I caught this whatever-it-is while ashore so I've probably caught it onboard. Covid has just highlighted the fact that respiratory illnesses of any kind are spread by coughing and sneezing or any other activity that expels air more forcefully than just breathing - singing, shouting, laughing etc. 

I'll raise your comment ... some people are just arrogant pigs. 🤬

Ooh, do I risk seeing Andre King the comedian tonight. All that excess Princess laughter could be a super-spreader event. Or maybe not 🤣

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I had wonderful daily monitoring on-line and a daily phone call from a Health Dept nurse. I think it might even have been a hospital in the home thing. I even had a call one day from an intensive care nurse because they were worried about me. The Vic health dept has been doing a wonderful job.

I had similar support from Queensland Health. At the end of a week, they told me I was "discharged from the virtual-COVID ward."

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

Ooh, do I risk seeing Andre King the comedian tonight. All that excess Princess laughter could be a super-spreader event. Or maybe not 🤣

I would go. With a comedian it doesn't matter very much where you sit. You can go in shortly before the start of the show and choose seats right over at one side away from anyone else, hoping no-one will come and sit beside you. If you keep coughing until the show starts it might deter someone who thinks they would like to sit near you. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

My girlfriend was impressed also.  They even got stuff sent to her.

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I would go. With a comedian it doesn't matter very much where you sit. You can go in shortly before the start of the show and choose seats right over at one side away from anyone else, hoping no-one will come and sit beside you. If you keep coughing until the show starts it might deter someone who thinks they would like to sit near you. 🙂

With a Princess comedian, at least nothing is going to spread via fits of laughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unless they are the Weird Scared Little Guys who were hilarious. 

i agree - really enjoyed 'weird scared little guys' - they were refreshingly original and worked really well together - put them top of entertainment i enjoyed in my feedback to princess for the september cruise we did on coral princess. 

1 hour ago, austromyrtus said:

i agree - really enjoyed 'weird scared little guys' - they were refreshingly original and worked really well together - put them top of entertainment i enjoyed in my feedback to princess for the september cruise we did on coral princess. 

I love giving positive feedback!

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That is what I thought, as I think talk of a cough is misleading.  

Embarrassing  for me I have Barrett's oesophagus that makes you cough and I often get dirty looks, that has increased since Covid showed up.  The mask mandate was good for me, I did not feel so guilty when I coughed. Maybe I should hang a sign around my neck with " I don't have Covid "  😷

Edited by JohnGc

10 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Embarrassing  for me I have Barrett's oesophagus that makes you cough and I often get dirty looks, that has increased since Covid showed up.  The mask mandate was good for me, I did not feel so guilty when I coughed. Maybe I should hang a sign around my neck with " I don't have Covid "  😷

We need special badges that say 'I just have asthma/reflux/Barrett's oesophagus/allergies'. I'd wear one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

We need special badges that say 'I just have asthma/reflux/Barrett's oesophagus/allergies'. I'd wear one.

Might be onto a winner there, another good one would be " I am vulnerable keep away "😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm with you on that😂, I have Asthma and every now and then it affects my throat and causes a irritating cough, and people do give you side long looks. During Covid it has been very  annoying😡.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I'm with you on that😂, I have Asthma and every now and then it affects my throat and causes a irritating cough, and people do give you side long looks. During Covid it has been very  annoying😡.

Unfortunately unless you suffer with these complaints people, ( understandably ) do not realise the reason you are coughing. My medical condition causes a dry cough from the throat. I try to avoid anyone that has a hacking deep cough but still feel empathy for them as long as they cover up.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

You can get just about anything on a redbubble t-shirt. Yes, you will get plenty of sidewards glances. My wife has an allergy cough, but still doesn't cough towards others, and covers it with her forearm.

I get all rhat, but unless we are cruising past bushfires or active volcanoes, I wouldn't suspect that the numbers coughing would multiply each day. Perhaps they have extra lactose in the milk, but recent history would tell me that isn't the cause.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1