We are finally ready to return to cruising. What do we need to know? What has Princess changed?

gottagocit

Hello everyone,

We were in Antarctica/South America on the Coral in February and nearly March of 2020 as covid was starting to bring things to a halt. After getting sick onboard I recovered in time to return home just before the shutdowns began. At the time we had 3 future cruise deposits with cruises booked for each but of course they didn’t happen. Now we’ve finally started planning for our first voyage in well over 2 years and have no idea what’s changed with Princess etc and need to catch up. 

A few things come to mind that I’m wondering about. 

Can you still trade in your elite cabin bar setup for two “coffee cards” once onboard?

I read in one posts here that you must purchase both laundry tokens and detergent in the self serve laundry and that it’s something like $7-8 per load. Is that accurate?

When we last cruised the medallion was only on a few ships and people were having real problems getting the app etc to work. Has this been resolved?

Any changes to elite perks?

Are onboard activities back to normal like production shows?  Seating at full capacity there and at dinner? Tenders at capacity? Buffet open?

Is Princess honoring the Carnival shareholder OBC benefit?  Can’t seem to locate the newest form used to request it, although we know for years some have simply been sending letter with the info included?

I’m sure we’ll think of more things but these are some of the first that come to mind. Will try to check the boards regularly once again now that we feel things are getting somewhat back to normal again. 

Thanks,

Chris 

12 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

Hello everyone,

We were in Antarctica/South America on the Coral in February and nearly March of 2020 as covid was starting to bring things to a halt. After getting sick onboard I recovered in time to return home just before the shutdowns began. At the time we had 3 future cruise deposits with cruises booked for each but of course they didn’t happen. Now we’ve finally started planning for our first voyage in well over 2 years and have no idea what’s changed with Princess etc and need to catch up. 

A few things come to mind that I’m wondering about. 

Can you still trade in your elite cabin bar setup for two “coffee cards” once onboard?  

I read in one posts here that you must purchase both laundry tokens and detergent in the self serve laundry and that it’s something like $7-8 per load. Is that accurate?

When we last cruised the medallion was only on a few ships and people were having real problems getting the app etc to work. Has this been resolved?

Any changes to elite perks?

Are onboard activities back to normal like production shows?  Seating at full capacity there and at dinner? Tenders at capacity? Buffet open?

Is Princess honoring the Carnival shareholder OBC benefit?  Can’t seem to locate the newest form used to request it, although we know for years some have simply been sending letter with the info included?

I’m sure we’ll think of more things but these are some of the first that come to mind. Will try to check the boards regularly once again now that we feel things are getting somewhat back to normal again. 

Thanks,

Chris 

Wwlcome back!

We were on the Coral too in March 2020!  Sailing was during the pause.  

Yes you can still trade in mini bar for 2 coffee packages.

You can purchase just a wash or dry it’s $3 per wash and $3 per dry.  You can bring your own detergent if you want or buy it.  Use your OM to swipe the token machine.

App had a lot of issues.  IMO it is much better now.  There are threads if you need help on here about the APP.  You can also do a lot of the same on the online version.  I like the App better, as I can do more.

You don’t say which ship you’re on, but the shows, activities are pretty much back to normal.  Yes buffet and MDR’s open, for the most part.

Elites get 50% off the internet MedallionNet, which it should show that in the App when you book it.  No more free minutes like in pre covid.

Yes, you can still get stock OBC.  Form hasn’t changed much.  We just send an email with all the information required and a copy of the last statement, with account number marked out.

SBPCL@Princesscruises.com

Go on PCL and check the updates for health protocols for your area.  There are changes quite frequently, so recheck them. 

You should join the roll call for your sailing, as that can help to answer questions also.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Wwlcome back!

We were on the Coral too in March 2020!  Sailing was during the pause.  

Yes you can still trade in mini bar for 2 coffee packages.

You can purchase just a wash or dry it’s $3 per wash and $3 per dry.  You can bring your own detergent if you want or buy it.  Use your OM to swipe the token machine.

App had a lot of issues.  IMO it is much better now.  There are threads if you need help on here about the APP.  You can also do a lot of the same on the online version.  I like the App better, as I can do more.

You don’t say which ship you’re on, but the shows, activities are pretty much back to normal.  Yes buffet and MDR’s open, for the most part.

Elites get 50% off the internet MedallionNet, which it should show that in the App when you book it.  No more free minutes like in pre covid.

Yes, you can still get stock OBC.  Form hasn’t changed much.  We just send an email with all the information required and a copy of the last statement, with account number marked out.

SBPCL@Princesscruises.com

Go on PCL and check the updates for health protocols for your area.  There are changes quite frequently, so recheck them. 

You should join the roll call for your sailing, as that can help to answer questions also.

PacnGoNow,

Thanks for your reply. It’s good to hear onboard activities are getting back to normal and that we don’t seem to have lost too many perks. Interesting you were on the Coral about the same time as us. We got off near Santiago on March 3rd I think and spent a few days there before flying home. 

This past summer we did an African safari that was our best travel experience ever I think and it reminded us how much we enjoy land based travel so we’ll be doing some of that again going forward as well as mixing in cruising when possible. This time we’re doing a slightly non typical full transient Panama Canal voyage on the Emerald in April that includes Aruba and Bonaire. 

There wasn’t a roll call for our voyage so I started one this week and will try to check in on it regularly. 

thanks again,

Chris 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gottagocit said:

Can you still trade in your elite cabin bar setup for two “coffee cards” once onboard? Same as before.

I read in one posts here that you must purchase both laundry tokens and detergent in the self serve laundry and that it’s something like $7-8 per load. Is that accurate? You still have the Elite laundry benefit as well.

When we last cruised the medallion was only on a few ships and people were having real problems getting the app etc to work. Has this been resolved? Seems to work better on the ships than pre-boarding experience. Some (but not all) have a lot of difficulty getting it to work.

Any changes to elite perks? Also, only allowed 10% of regular priced items in the stores. Sale items are no longer included.

See above.😁

• Like 1

If you can't get something to work/update on the Medallion App, don't worry too much.  You can get whatever completed when you check in.  Some have even posted that don't worry with the app at all and have it taken care of during check in.  Know this works at Fort Lauderdale

• Like 2

The loyalty OBC is the only real change we have noticed except for no more chocolates cat turn down. Oh not quite there is now a covid isolation deck. I know all about that because we contracted covid in August on the Royal along with hundreds others 

9 minutes ago, memoak said:

The loyalty OBC is the only real change we have noticed except for no more chocolates cat turn down. Oh not quite there is now a covid isolation deck. I know all about that because we contracted covid in August on the Royal along with hundreds others 

It is not clear from various reports that there is still an isolation deck. The ships are approaching full occupancy so it will be more isolation in your cabin if that comes up.

I will include the change in the safety drill.  It is sooooo much easier now.  Still important!  You watch the safety briefing on your tv in your stateroom.   You can do that as soon as you are in your room. 

You no longer need to take your life jackets and report to the theater for this part of the drill.

After watching the safety film, you go to your muster station as indicated in your stateroom and check in.

They do know that you are watching the film because your medallions are in the stateroom during the viewing.  The medallions also record your presence at the muster station.    Have a safe cruise.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, loge23 said:

I read recently on this board that the Elite 10% discount in the shops is no longer given, since Princess sold off the shops to an independent vendor. Can anyone confirm this?

It is still given on the Princess shops ... I can't say if there's a shortcut way to determine which shops are Princess and which are vendor but I can say sundries, liquor, candy, tshirts are all Princess. Effy is not

• Like 2

We are just below the number of cruises needed to get the loyalty OBC but hate to see it gone. 
They had just started the new muster procedure on our last voyage because we watched the video in our cabin.  As I recall you couldn’t tune in anything else on the tv until you watched it. 

thanks for all the info. Will keep watching for anything else. 

40 minutes ago, loge23 said:

I read recently on this board that the Elite 10% discount in the shops is no longer given, since Princess sold off the shops to an independent vendor. Can anyone confirm this?

Last cruise I was on in Aug/Sept the discount was still in effect.

• Like 2

I would suggest maybe reading some of the recent lives as people put a lot of detail that might be helpful...we have cruised twice in Jan/Feb when there were a lot more changes due to covid restrictions & then just recently when things seemed more back to normal...your specific questions have been answered, but here are a few other thoughts:

• boarding seems faster with the Medallions & having the doors open without swiping a card is nice
  • watch your bill as it is easy for charges to be made to the wrong account with the Medallion
  • there are still patters but they are only one page & no more piles of sales flyers 
  • photos are mostly viewed digitally not printed out unless you buy them
  • there are still supply chain issues for things like wine & liquor & some food items
  • staffing is a little thin & lots of new staff as some did not return...but still everyone is eager to help
  • dine my way has replaced the old anytime or traditional dining & some love it while others hate it
  • many things like port guides & ship maps are no longer available in printed form
  • menus are changing as are the ways they make traditional menu items
  • enrichment lectures & port talks are now available on your stateroom TV

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

• there are still patters but they are only one page & no more piles of sales flyers 
  • many things like port guides & ship maps are no longer available in printed form

I’m glad to hear the patters are still used and that the “sales” flyers are not. But will miss having the port guides and maps. 

I suppose the guides and maps are on the app?  If so is the app usable offline or will you have to have data use will in ports to use it?

Also are you still allowed to bring a bottle or two of wine onboard during embarkation?

thanks 

2 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

Also are you still allowed to bring a bottle or two of wine onboard during embarkation?

Yes but there are new restrictions in the Passage Contract for limits & types of containers for non-alcoholic drinks brought onboard.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of one (1) bottle of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per Guest per Voyage may be presented to security during embarkation. A US $20.00 corkage fee will be charged should Guests wish to consumer their wine or champagne in the ship’s public areas.
  • A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 mL in volume or less) beyond the one-bottle per Guest per Voyage allowance. Limitations apply, and wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.
  • Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

I’m glad to hear the patters are still used and that the “sales” flyers are not. But will miss having the port guides and maps. 

I suppose the guides and maps are on the app?  If so is the app usable offline or will you have to have data use will in ports to use it?

I go to PSD and ask for the ones I'm interested in .... if the line's too long I get them from Shore Excursions.  I wish they'd have a stack printed out but I seem to be the only one who wants one

6 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

Also are you still allowed to bring a bottle or two of wine onboard during embarkation

Yes but I cannot find the desk to declare them. 

27 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

thanks 

port guides are in the map but all 4 pages show on one screen so you can't see any detail...some have had success getting printed copies at the excursion or CS desks others have been told they don't do that anymore

you can use the app for all the medallion things...ordering food drinks, crew chat (which by the way is often faster to get an answer that going to desk), schedule, dining reservations etc....without buying internet it uses the ships intranet which is free

yes to wine bottles, we don't drink wine,, but some have said they also brought more on at ports without issues

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loge23 said:

You still get the discount but not on any items shown as on sale 

• Like 1

Is the boarding day drawing still being held where a nice prize is give to one of those who walked to all the parts of the ship and got all the little stamps on the signup card?

Edited by gottagocit

25 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

Is the boarding day drawing still being held where a nice prize is give to one of those who walked to all the parts of the ship and got all the little stamps on the signup card?

have not had it (Grand-Jan/Majestic-Jan&Feb/Sapphire-Sept&Oct)